Free Consultation: (586) 991-1783Tap to Call This Lawyer
Philip G. Vera

Philip G. Vera

Over 16 successful years experience in Divorce/Family and Support. Call Now!
  • Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence ...
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

I can help with Divorce/Family and Support for your situation!

Philip Vera is a lifelong resident of Macomb County, MI. He is a graduate of Eisenhower High School in Shelby Township, MI. It was around that time he decided that the practice of law was his calling. “I was completely fascinated by the court system and the role attorney have in it” says Mr. Vera.
Upon graduating, Mr. Vera attended Oakland University in Rochester Hills, MI. He earned his Bachelor’s degree in political science and a minor in psychology. From there, he enrolled at Thomas M. Cooley Law School in Lansing, MI. While attending law school, Mr. Vera served as the Managing Editor of the Thomas M. Cooley Law School Law Review, a highly respected scholarly legal publication. For his work on the Law Review, he was honored with the Dawn C. Beachneau Award, named after the late and beloved secretary of the Law Review. He also served as President of the American Bar Association-Law Student Division at the Auburn Hills Campus of the law school.

Mr. Vera has been practicing law since 2006. He has primarily practiced in the area of family law, criminal law. He has earned the accolades from many clients throughout the years. Mr. Vera likes to think of his relationships with clients as a team endeavor and works hand-in-hand with his clients to get the best results possible.

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    DUI & DWI
    Traffic Tickets
    Suspended License
  • Free Consultation
    Free initial 30 minute consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Michigan Law Services, PLLC
- Current
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
J.D. (2006) | Law
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School Logo
Oakland University
B.A. (2001) | Political Science
Oakland University Logo
10 Best Attorneys - Michigan
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Top 10 Family Law Attorney Michigan
Attorney & Practice Magazine
Client Satisfaction Award
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Dawn C. Beachneau Award
Thomas M. Cooley Law Review
Professional Associations
Michigan State Bar  # 69926
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Mock Trial Workshops
Websites & Blogs
Michigan Law Services, PLLC
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered
Q. Emergency Ex-Parte suspending parent time. Do you have to always notify the other party?
A: An ex parte order is entered without a hearing and used if there's a potential for irreparable harm if an immediate order is not entered. However you must receive notice of the ex parte order and a proof of service must be entered with the court in order for it to be enforceable. You would have 14 days to object to the order after you are served. If you are not served, the order is technically not enforceable since you have not gotten notice.

If you are served and no objection is filed within 14 days, the order automatically becomes an order of the court.
Q. My wife cheated on me and got pregnant, I’m sterile so I know it’s not mine. What are my legal responsibilities?
A: There is an automatic presumption that a child conceived during a marriage is that of the husband. That is the case regardless of any medical determination as to whether you are capable of conceiving the child or not. Should you desire to disavow the child, a DNA test would need to happen and a matter under the Revocation of Parentage Act (ROPA) should be filed.
Q. Is filing an uncontested divorce different than a contested divorce?
A: The term uncontested divorce relates to whether the defendant in the case will take action to fight against the plaintiff's requests (found in their complaint) or will they just "lay down their arms" for lack of a better term. A settlement agreement is not binding but is useful for keeping the agreed upon terms of the divorce in order.

In terms of whether or not you will have to deal with the friend of the court, that depends on county you are in and whether there are children. If there are children involved, you will definitely be dealing with the friend of the court.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Michigan Law Services, PLLC
8300 Hall Road
Suite 202
Utica, MI 48317
Telephone: (586) 991-1783
Fax: (586) 203-2452
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed (Today)
Sunday: Closed