Free Consultation: (401) 714-5526Tap to Call This Lawyer
Paul J. Ferns

Paul J. Ferns

Experience makes all the difference. Free Consultations.
  • Divorce, Personal Injury, Criminal Law ...
  • Rhode Island
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Get skillful, knowledgeable legal help you can rely on when making delicate decisions about the future of your family. From divorce and child custody, to relocation of a child or enforcement of a child support order, attorney Paul J. Ferns will guide your case toward a fair and beneficial resolution. Contact the Warwick divorce and family law office of Paul J. Ferns. Over twenty years of experience in divorce court gives him an in-depth understanding of the Rhode Island family law.

Attorney Ferns also has successfully represented many clients in car accident and personal injury cases. His tenacity in fighting for his clients has resulted in successful settlements with insurance companies that had previously denied or delayed payment. These cases included truck accidents, cases where drivers were texting, distracted driving and motorcycle accidents.

Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Medical Malpractice
Birth Injury, Medical Misdiagnosis, Pharmacy Errors, Surgical Errors
Additional Practice Areas
  • Child Custody
  • Child Visitation
  • Free Consultation
    First consultations are free.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Rhode Island
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Rhode Island Bar Association
- Current
Western New England University School of Law
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Rhode Island State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Paul J. Ferns Attorney at Law
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Divorce Lawyer Rhode Island
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered
Q. I moved out of the marital home 5 months ago. my husband says I am responsible for 1/2 of the household bills until a
A: If no divorce action has been filed then you are not legally obligated to pay. However, depending upon how the divorce case resolves, you may be obligated to pay some money towards the mortgage if you ultimately are going to receive money from the equity in the house. If there is no money coming to you out of the house, then you would not have to contribute to the mortgage and household bills.
Q. my ex has his taxes withheld due to back child support. When it is released will I receive it in a lump sum?
A: Yes you should. If not, call the bookkeeping office in Providence at 458-3100 and ask the status of the tax refund payment. Make sure you have your case number available.
Q. I had a case on December 12, 2014 and they've had three continuances my next case is July 29 is it failure to prosecute?
A: You can absolutely file a Motion to Dismiss for failure to prosecute. However, it's ultimately up to the Judge hearing the motion as to whether or not to grant or deny your motion. Depending upon why your case is being continued will ultimately be the deciding factor. If the State is merely waiting for information that is beyond their control, your motion would probably be denied. If the State has done absolutely nothing on the case by way of offering evidence etc., then your chances of persuading the Judge are much better.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Paul J. Ferns, Attorney at Law
200 Centerville Rd
Warwick, RI 02886
Telephone: (401) 714-5526