Free Consultation: (401) 421-4407Tap to Call This Lawyer
John LaRochelle

John LaRochelle

Former State Prosecutor Delivers Results for Clients
  • Family Law, Criminal Law, Divorce ...
  • Massachusetts, Rhode Island
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Attorney John Larochelle is a former Rhode Island state prosecutor who has represented clients in complex and highly sensitive litigation matters in Rhode Island Family Court and in District, Superior, Supreme and Federal Court in Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

In Family court, Attorney Larochelle has litigated many types of cases, including complex divorces, contentious child custody matters, Grandparents Rights, and parenting time disputes. Attorney Larochelle is certified by the Rhode Island Family Court as a Guardian Ad Litem. In 2022, Attorney Larochelle received a Certification in Child and Family Forensic Issues from William James College Center of Excellence for Children, Families, and the Law.

Attorney Larochelle applies his extensive criminal law knowledge and experience as a Rhode Island State Prosecutor and years of criminal defense practice to representing clients in all criminal matters - from serious felonies such as murder, sex crimes, and distribution of controlled substances – to misdemeanor cases such as domestic assaults and traffic-related offenses. He has litigated over one hundred DUI cases.

Attorney Larochelle represents clients in state and federal courts in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. He is also admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States of America. In his most recent case before the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, he prevailed in a complex litigation appeal.

Attorney Larochelle has written and argued well-known cases before the Rhode Island Supreme Court, including prevailing against then-Attorney General (now U.S. Senator) Sheldon Whitehouse in the seminal case of Diane S. Cronan ex rel. State v. John J. Cronan 774 A.2d 866. Attorney Larochelle has also written and argued often-cited cases such as State v. Paull and State v. Chalk.

Call 401-421-4407 to discuss your legal matter and to get Attorney Larochelle working for you today.

Practice Areas
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    DUI & DWI
    Juvenile Law
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
    Appeals & Appellate
    Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
    Traffic Tickets
    Suspended License
  • Free Consultation
    Call me for a free consultation today. 401-421-4407
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I litigate Restraining Orders. I enjoy prosecuting Restraining Orders on behalf of the plaintiff and successfully defending Restraining Orders on behalf of the defendant.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers
ID Number: 645649
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Rhode Island
Rhode Island Bar Association
ID Number: 5237
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
1st Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
State Prosecutor - Special Assistant Attorney General
Rhode Island Department of the Attorney General
Suffolk University Law School
J.D. (1994) | Law
Honors: Cum Laude
Suffolk University Law School Logo
University of Rhode Island
B.S. (1991) | Finance
Honors: High Honors
University of Rhode Island Logo
University of Rhode Island
B.A. (1991) | Economics
Honors: High Honors
University of Rhode Island Logo
Highest Attorney Rating by most prestigious lawyer rating service
Client Champion Award
Professional Associations
Rhode Island Bar Association
Committee Member
- Current
Activities: Family Court Bench Bar Committee Technology in the Practice Committee & E-Filing Working Group
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Clearing the Record: How to Seal Criminal Records and Expunge Criminal Convictions in Rhode Island
Rhode Island Bar Journal
Speaking Engagements
Recent Expungement Law Updates, Cranston, Rhode Island
Rhode Island Bar Association
The RI Bar Association invited me to teach over thirty attorney-attendees about the most effective ways to clear someone's criminal record.
Clearing the Record: Expungements and Sealings, Continuing Legal Education, Rhode Island
Rhode Island Bar Association
John Larochelle, Esq. was the sole presenter and teacher at the Rhode Island Bar Association's Continuing Legal Education Class in Expungements and Sealing of Records.
Certificate in Child and Family Forensic Issues
Center of Excellence for Children, Families and the Law, William James College
Guardian Ad Litem
Rhode Island Family Court
Websites & Blogs
Larochelle Law
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered
Q. If I haven’t been formally charged I believe I am innocent and Can prove it can I file for a review and how
A: Good afternoon, Yes, you may request a review of the evidence. I strongly recommend against you submitting anything or communicating directly with any police agency. Your best course of action is to hire an attorney who is experienced in criminal defense. On two recent occasions, I was able to deliver to the police agency who was considering charging my client enough evidence in the client’s favor to stop the police from bringing charges. It is a delicate process that must give great weight to not exposing the client to greater culpability. Simply giving your side of the story to the police is almost certainly not going to prevent them from charging you. In fact, in nearly every situation, giving the police more facts does more harm than good. In some situations, the police will be able to charge you directly because of the new information they learn from you. If the charges are for a capital offense, a grand jury will have to weigh the facts and decide whether levying criminal charges is fair. Otherwise, it will be up to the investigating police agency or the prosecuting agency (e.g., the Office of the Attorney General) to bring charges. The charging entity will consider any evidence presented to them. Do not go it alone. Make the investment in getting excellent legal representation before communicating with any law enforcement agency. Best of luck to you.
Q. Does the noncustodial parent have to meet the person the other parent is dating before the child can be around them?
A: The is no law or automatic mandate that requires the noncustodial parent to meet the custodial parent’s romantic interest before the child is permitted to be in the presence of the romantic interest. Sometimes, the details regarding when children will meet a romantic interest of a parent are specified in a Marital Settlement Agreement or a court order. If the romantic interest and child meeting is not specified anywhere, there is no specific requirement. The court will judge a parent’s actions by whether those actions were in the child’s best interest and whether the parent fulfilled his or her obligations required in accordance with their custodial parenting status (joint legal custody versus sole legal custody).
Q. Can I install a camera in my bedroom
A: Good afternoon, Fearful of Threats, Since you are being permitted to live in the house of your father and his wife, it is they and not you who may decided what type of security cameras are permitted in their home. The room where you sleep is their room; they are just letting you sleep there. You have no right to a security camera in their house, even in the room in which you are sleeping.
View More Answers
United States v. Ackerly
US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
State v. Querido
Rhode Island Supreme Court
View More Annotations
Contact & Map
Larochelle Law
1 Turks Head Place
Suite 1440
Providence, RI 02903
Telephone: (401) 421-4407
Cell: (401) 400-2777
Fax: (401) 421-1442
Monday: 7:30 AM - 6 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 7:30 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 7:30 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 7:30 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 7:30 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Sunday: Closed
Notice: I will meet with you as early as 6:15 am. I will meet you in person or through a videoconference.