Free Consultation: (844) 533-3367Tap to Call This Lawyer
Derek John Soltis

Derek John Soltis

Law Offices of Patel and Soltis
  • Employment Law, Bankruptcy, Foreclosure Defense...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Derek J. Soltis, Esq. is graduate of Rutgers School of Law Newark and an admitted attorney in the State of New York. Mr. Soltis also has an MBA in Management Systems with an International Business Designation from Fordham University Graduate School of Business and a Master of Science in Information and Communication Systems where he specialized in System Dynamics. While at Fordham Mr. Soltis graduated in the top 10% of class and was enrolled in Phi Kappa Phi the Collegiate Honor Society and Beta Gamma Sigma the Business Honors Society. Mr. Soltis's undergraduate degree is a BBA from the University of Houston - Downtown, in Computer Information Systems. Mr. Soltis has spent several years in the eDisocery industry working on the technical and project management side of many cases for Fortune 100 clients and top 100 law firms. He has also managed business units for multiple Fortune 500 companies with responsibility for sales in excess of $18 million wile managing a budget of over $1.5 million. Mr. Soltis is deeply involved in volunteer work. He has volunteered for many organizations, including: Bowery Mission, American Red MIssion, American Red Cross, Essex County Law Day, and the Domestic Violence Advocacy Project in Newark. He has also worked as a Street Law teacher in Newark while in Law School where he taught at the Essex County Juvenile detention center and the Alma E. Flag Middle school.

Practice Areas
  • Employment Law
  • Bankruptcy
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Probate
  • Estate Planning
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Immigration Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Offices of Patel and Soltis
- Current
Partner in firm.
Rutgers School of Law-Newark
J.D. (2012) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Fordham University
MBA (2006) | Management Sytems
Fordham University Logo
Fordham University
M.S. (2006) | Information and Communication Systems
Fordham University Logo
University of Houston - Downtown
B.B.A. (2003) | Computer Systems
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
State Bar of New York
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Relativity Certified Administrator
Websites & Blogs
New Jersey Foreclosure Defense Attorneys
Legal Answers
152 Questions Answered

Q. can a foreclosure sale be set aside if there is no proof of publication and proof of notice of sale in nyc ?
A: Normally the proof of publication is filed with the case. If you give an attorney the case number it is fairly easy to find if the case was filed after 2011 otherwise it would need to be pulled from the courthouse itself.
Q. 4 rentals and a primary residence in NJ were included in my bankruptcy in 2015. Foreclosure info is located where?
A: If you had an attorney they can pull your file for you. If you didn't have an attorney you can either go to the court to get a copy or reach out to a bankruptcy attorney and they can pull your filing. It costs $0.10 a page for an attorney to download documents from Pacer.
Q. If property taxes were not paid and subsequently sold at tax sale, the tax lien holder pays the future taxes for 2 years
A: When the judge signs the order the property is legally the tax lien holders. Declaring bankruptcy can extend the time to get the money to pay of the tax lien. It may be easier to get a hard money lenders to loan the money, and probably have a lower interest rate than the 18% that is being tacked up on the tax lien.
A: Have your mother-in-law talk to an attorney. Attorneys cannot tell someone to tell someone else how to practice law. If you and she like you can be on the call.
Q. Can an employer make you sign an agreement that you won’t quit before x number of years? Is it legally binding?
A: No, it is not legally enforceable. If you want to discuss why someone would ask you to sign that talk with an attorney.
Q. Unlawful termination
A: You need to speak to an attorney about what happened. On it's face, you probably have a case. But, without going into all the details there is no way to guarantee you have a rock solid case.
Q. In NY state, can my employer make me be on call for up to 9 hours every day without any kind of compensation?
A: You should sit down with an attorney to go over all of your compensation, and then look at if what is happening is violating the hourly. Minimum wage is currently $7.25 per hour under Federal Law. In NY, it is between $11.10 and $15.00 per hour, depending on your employer and location as of December 31, 2018. There are limited exceptions to this requirement. If you are like most "employees", you are entitled to the full minimum hourly rate and are also entitled to one-and-a-half times your hourly wages for each hour worked over forty (40) hours per week. So, if you are making less than minimum wage, or they are treating you as an independent contractor, it sounds like a violation or two may be happening. And if you are an at-will employee, they can fire you for any reason as long as it is not against public policy. At the end of the day, if you do not like the way you are being treated, you may be better off getting a new job. A lot of times wage disputes can cost goodwill with the company you work for, and end with you without a job, fighting to prove you did nothing wrong.
Q. If a house was sold in January due to a foreclosure is the current landlord entitled to rent after January?
A: Until the house is actually auctioned the old landlord is entitled to rent. Once the house is sold, then whoever buys the house will become your new landlord. At that point, you will be a month-to-month tenant with them until you are offered a new lease or something else occurs. The bank may also buy the property back at auction and you could end up in landlord limbo until the bank either sells the property or asks you for rent. Just remember you have rights. Don't let anyone push you around, and call an attorney if you have questions.
Q. Trying to get a emergency stay on my home i lost to foreclosure. I have a 15 year old daughter with Autism and injured
A: Is a sheriff sale scheduled? Did the home already sell and how long ago? You need to speak to a foreclosure lawyer to go over your options. Waiting for answers online that cannot give you specifics is not going to help if your time is limited.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Across from Court House
574 Newark Ave
Suite 307
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Toll-Free: (844) 533-3367
Telephone: (844) 533-3367
Cell: (917) 687-4219
Fax: (866) 212-4111
New York City
276 Fifth Avenue, Suite 704
New york, NY 10001
Toll-Free: (844) 533-3367
Cell: (917) 687-4219
Fax: (866) 212-4111
121 Newark Ave
Suite 554
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Telephone: (844) 533-3367