Free Consultation: (901) 206-8200Tap to Call This Lawyer
Tawanda Williams

Tawanda Williams

Balancing the Scales of Justice for You!
  • Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, DUI & DWI
  • Tennessee
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I am a Criminal Defense Attorney and practice in both General Sessions and Criminal Courts in Memphis, TN. I have successfully handled thousands of cases and have never received a complaint to the Board of Professional Responsibility. I contribute my top-notch legal experience and excellent customer service skills to creating an impressive client base. These skills have afforded me an excellent reputation in the Legal Community.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • DUI & DWI
  • Free Consultation
    Free Initial Consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Fixed rates based on charge type.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Associations
Memphis Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Tennessee Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. Can you be charged with escape if officers leave the bullpen doors and hallway doors unlocked and you walk out?
A: Regardless of the lapse in judgment on the Officers part, if you are being detained for any reason with our without restraining devices, you are committing a crime by attempting to leave. Your fiance was clearly aware that he was in custody, so its no defense that the Officers removed his shackles, cuffs, and left doors open. Your fiance was properly charged with escape.
Q. Can I purchase a rifle for hunting if I have a class B misdemeanor for indecent exposure and am off probation?
A: To my knowledge Indecent Exposure has no Handgun ramifications. A background check will be performed before your purchase of any handgun, so you will know at that time for sure.
Q. I live in greenville tn and i am on a probation can i move to SC and be switch to another probation office
A: You can be switched to another Probation Company, but you must first consult with your Probation Officer to ensure that moving wouldn't violate your probation and to ensure you can be set up for probation in the State you are moving too. Good Luck!
Q. If i have a no contact order against my boyfriend because of the court and he goes to court January 6th can they drop it
A: The court will not drop a no contact order until the case is over. Remain away from your boyfriend as instructed by the court or his bond could be revoked and he could be placed back in jail.
Q. Will i be sentenced to jail time?
A: You should be able to keep your Public Defender, however, if you posted a large bond, the Prosecutor or even the Public Defender could file a motion to be relieved from your case. Only if that occurs, will you have to retain Counsel to represent you. Because you are a first time offender you may qualify for Judicial Diversion which is probation for 11 months and 29 days to get this charge off your record. Be aware that Diversion comes with costs and fees that you will be responsible for paying. The purpose and goal of Diversion is getting the charge off your record at the end of the probationary period. You shouldn't focus on your Mom not appearing in court and the case getting dismissed, as you say your Mom wants you to get help, so the only quick means of getting the charge off your record, would be for your Attorney to negotiate you taking Anger Management classes and hopefully a dismissal of charges at that point with court costs. But any negotiated agreements would have to be ok'd by the Victim and agreed to by the State. Be aware that cases set for Trial or Preliminary Hearing are dismissed if the victim doesn't show up, but that doesn't necessarily mean the case is over. The State could very well indict you on the charges, which sends the case to Criminal Court where it starts anew. Good Luck!
Q. My niece has been arrested in Fayette County Tennessee for child abuse. Does she need a lawyer?
A: She your needs a Lawyer, Child Abuse is a felony and carries detrimental consequences should she be found guilty.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
242 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38103
Telephone: (901) 206-8200