Free Consultation: (718) 539-1100Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sunjae Lee

Sunjae Lee

The Law Office of John C. Kim, P.C.
  • Immigration Law, Divorce, Real Estate Law...
  • New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
  • Immigration Law
  • Divorce
  • Real Estate Law
  • Bankruptcy
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Korean: Spoken, Written
Professional Associations
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar Association # 908556
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association # 01664971
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York # 30364790
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
JCKLAW: The Law Office of John C. Kim, P.C.
Facebook: JCKLAW
Legal Answers
15 Questions Answered

Q. I need help filing for bankruptcy, chapter 7
A: See a bankruptcy attorney to check eligibility. (This is a Q&A forum)
Q. can I use my mother income for AO's
A: The big picture would be that you are bringing in an immigrant husband, and your mother is swearing that she will financially sponsor him so that he will not become a public charge. It would be done by I-864A, but consult with an attorney for details.
Q. Can I marry a Filipino in the Philippines then bring them here with a visitor visa while we apply for a change status?
A: Getting a nonimmigrant visitor visa with an immigrant intent to adjust status after entry into US, is not legal. Consider consular processing or K visa.
Q. Women here 8 years from Georgia on a visitor visa which expired years ago. She has a Georgia passport.
A: Based on just "entered US on visitor visa 8 years ago, which already expired," she would be subject to 10 year bar when she leaves US, so she will need a waiver of that bar, but there is nothing that can be done unless there is more to the story.
Q. Just want to known if person has approved petition and pending further processing for greencard ,can she come to u.s
A: Approved I-130 petition only means that the beneficiary could apply for a green card. With just an approved petition, when she will get a green card is unknown, and if she really will get a green card is also unknown. She could visit and leave if she can get a nonimmigrant visa in the mean time.
Q. Been outside US for 11 months due to sudden death of my father Will i be able to get US citizenship in 5 years time?
A: Your 11-month trip may not have broken the required continuous residence, if you can provide proper evidence. Assuming that you also met all the other requirements, you could be eligible for naturalization in the 5 years' time.
Q. My wife left 6 yrs ago she closed her 401k and bought a house out of state without me knowing
A: Without a divorce decree or at least a separation agreement, she is still your spouse and she is technically eligible to make claims for your assets. (Which means you could also technically claim rights to her out-of-state house). I recommend consulting with a lawyer and also getting a divorce.
Q. What recourse do I have when I do not want a divorce?
A: One cannot stop the other from pursuing a divorce. As a homemaker with no employment, living in brother's house, you could get some alimony. But alimony amount is determined by many factors such as husband's income, duration of marriage, health, education, financial lifestyle, etc. Husband having a paramour won't have much effect on alimony unless hard proof with big numbers can be used--but for a 3 year marriage though, alimony amount and duration may not be much to begin with.
Q. My wife and I have been married for for 6years now she file for divorce she has a house before we get married and a good
A: If she owned the house before the marriage, then it is a separate property (hers alone), generally not subject to equitable distribution. As for maintenance, many factors (income difference, duration of marriage, current lifestyle, health, age, etc.) will be considered, but my guess is that the amount wouldn't be much, if at all.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
The Law Office of John C. Kim Flushing Office
163-10 Northern Blvd. Suite 201
Flushing, NY 11358
Telephone: (718) 539-1100
Fax: (718) 539-1717
The Law Office of John C. Kim Brooklyn Office
50 Court Street Suite 708
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Telephone: (718) 210-4794
Fax: (718) 522-6209