Free Consultation: (305) 521-7750Tap to Call This Lawyer
Steve Louis-Charles

Steve Louis-Charles

Protecting the Rights of the Injured, Not the Insurance Company
  • Personal Injury, Products Liability, Insurance Claims...
  • Florida
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Steve Charles, Esq. is the managing partner of the law firm Charles Legal, PLLC based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Prior to starting this law firm, Mr. Charles was an associate attorney with a law firm in Coral Gables, Florida representing homeowners in foreclosure matters during the height of the global financial crisis. Steve Charles, Esq. has since broadened his legal skills, knowledge and experience into first-party property damage claims, personal injury law, specifically auto accidents, truck accidents, slips and falls, various forms of premise liability and general litigation as necessitates. The law firm represents injured clients throughout Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Its managing partner, Mr. Charles is a 2019 recipient of the Top 40 Under 40 Civil Plaintiff Award of the National Trial Lawyers and has “Superb” Avvo Attorney Rating. The law firm is an A+ accredited member of the Better Business Bureau and has a strong track record of achieving excellent results for injured clients.

Mr. Charles earned a Juris Doctor degree from the Appalachian School of Law located in Virginia, Master of Business Administration from Nova Southeastern University and a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Barry University. Mr. Charles is admitted to the Florida Bar and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. He is also a member of local voluntary bar and professional associations such as the Dade County Bar Association, Broward County Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. Mr. Charles is a native to the South Florida area whom enjoys practicing law as well as traveling and spending time with family and friends.

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Products Liability
  • Insurance Claims
  • Consumer Law
  • Foreclosure Defense
Additional Practice Areas
  • Car and Truck Accidents
  • Slip and Falls
  • Free Consultation
    Free Consultations 24/7 | No Fee Unless Recovery
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover
  • Contingent Fees
    Charles Legal, PLLC will advance all of the costs associated with your case, such as court costs, medical records fees, expert witness fees, and other investigatory costs. The attorney's fee will be a percentage of the recovery and the costs advanced will be paid back from the recovery. In the event there is no recovery, then you will not owe any fees or costs. Contingency fees range from 33% to 40% of the recovery as permitted by the Florida Bar.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Free Consultations 24/7 | No Fee Unless Recovery
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
The Florida Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • French: Spoken, Written
  • Haitian Creole: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Partner / Shareholder
Charles Legal, PLLC
- Current
Appalachian School of Law
J.D. (2010) | Law
Appalachian School of Law Logo
Nova Southeastern University
MBA (2003) | Business Administration
Nova Southeastern University Logo
Barry University
B.S. (2000) | Political Science
Barry University Logo
Top 40 Under 40 Attorney’s for 2019
The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
Certificate of Appreciation
Legal Services of Greater Miami
Professional Associations
Dade County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
The Florida Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Respective Rights of Tenants in Commercial and Residential Property, Landlord Tenant Forum
Notary Public
Florida Department of State
A+ Rating
Better Business Bureau
Websites & Blogs
Law Firm Website
Legal Answers
58 Questions Answered

Q. Will the bank give me time to fix things
A: If not already, an estate for your mother must be opened up and the bank will need to serve the administrator of the estate to move things along within the courts on the foreclosure case. That should buy you enough time to strategize on how to proceed with retaining the property. I would highly recommend that you see an attorney that deals in both probate and foreclosure matters right away.
Q. How do I stop my landlord from illegally evicting me. He is already putting my belongings outside. locked me out.
A: Contact law enforcement right away and they will inform your landlord of the proper method to evict and allow you to place all of your belongings back inside of the premises. Your landlord has just engaged in "self help" and may now have exposed him or herself to civil remedies and penalties. Hope this helps...
Q. I was in a car accident in Boca Raton. The driver ran a red light and t-boned my vehicle.
A: Your auto insurance provides you with $10K in PIP benefits in situations such as these. Simply provide the hospital with your automobile proof of insurance card in lieu of your HMO or PPO policy. You should also be examined and start treatment with a chiropractor immediately as well. I specialize in these types of cases. Please give my office a call asap.
Q. Can my landlord request to see my bank account balance monthly
A: Absolutely not... Such a request by a landlord is greatly irregular and intrusive. It may not be sanctioned by law. Where do you rent and what are they, some type of cult?
Q. What happens to the liens on your property once everything gets resolved with the lender?
A: Need more information. What liens and what exactly is resolved with the lender?
Q. Is a FL landlord allowed to ask for more money for prior months? He is demanding $100 each for Jan-May totaling $500.
A: The agreement that both parties came to at the very beginning of the oral lease is the final agreement. It may not be altered or arbitrarily modified unilaterally by any party. Thus your landlord may not ask for additional monies to be applied towards rent of months gone by.
Q. I was at fault in a recent two-car collision but then discovered the other driver doesn't have a drivers license. Am I
A: The fact that the other driver, whom is allegedly not at fault does not have a driver's license or a valid driver's license does not negate a finding of your own negligence. However, while I do not know the specifics of the accident, it may help in your defense to show that this unlicensed driver may be comparably or contributorily negligent.
Q. Can a landlord evict a month to month tenant (without a contract), without a written eviction notice?
A: No, the landlord may not change the locks and may not throw you or any others on the property out without first following the pre-eviction formalities such as posting a 5 day notice, filing a formal eviction complaint, obtaining a final judgment of eviction and the sheriff's execution of a writ of possession. If the landlord attempts to change the locks or throw you out without first completing the previously stated it would be considered by the law as "self-help" which is strictly prohibited and landlord may be subject to a civil fines. I would suggest you promptly contact law enforcement should the landlord attempt this. Law enforcement officers should force the landlord to cease and desist as well as provide information on the legally permissible steps to follow for ejecting one from property within this state. Hope this helps.
Q. Thank for your answe however. I went to court house they won’t start the eviction process because I’m not the owner.
A: You may need the permission of a probate Court to proceed. Yes, you must seek to retain a probate attorney.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Charles Legal, PLLC
Causeway Square
1801 NE 123rd Street, Ste. 314
North Miami, FL 33181
Telephone: (305) 521-7750
Charles Legal, PLLC
930 South State Road 7
Plantation, FL 33317
Telephone: (954) 329-0814