Free Consultation: (888) 493-8574Tap to Call This Lawyer
Robert Shipley

Robert Shipley

Problem Solver, Solution Provider
  • Construction Law, Business Law, Real Estate Law...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Robert A. Shipley is the founding partner of Shipley Law Group, Ltd. For decades he has maintained long-standing client relationships while engaged in an active litigation and trial practice, along with general business counseling.

Mr. Shipley focuses his practice in civil litigation involving complex commercial, construction, insurance, professional liability and tort litigation and general business counseling, as well as Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution. An experienced trial attorney, he has in excess of 100 cases to verdict and has successfully argued cases in the Illinois Appellate Court.

Mr. Shipley has been awarded the AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating™ from Martindale Hubbell Law Directory and has been included in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers™ since 2010.

Mr. Shipley is a certified mediator and panel arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association.

Robert A. Shipley has handled cases throughout the State of Illinois.

Practice Areas
  • Construction Law
  • Business Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Insurance Claims
  • Insurance Defense
  • Legal Malpractice
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
7th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
United States District Court Northern District of Illinois
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney / Managing Partner
Shipley Law Group Ltd.
Northern Illinois University
J.D. (1978) | Law
Activities: Member, Student Government
Northern Illinois University Logo
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
B.A. (1975) | History
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign Logo
University of Illinois - Chicago
University of Illinois - Chicago Logo
AV Preeminent
Martindale-Hubbel Lawyers Service
Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
Construction Lawyers Society of America
Invitation-only, selective and limited membership international association of the world’s best construction lawyers.
Professional Associations
Illinois State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Contracts:The Basics
Building Entrepreneur Magazine
Speaking Engagements
Commercial General Liability Insurance, ISBA Insurance Section Council Seminar, Chicago
ADR and Joint Venture Agreements, Construction Industry Conference, Chicago, Illinois
Private Engagement Counseling, Construction Industry Conference
Certified Mediator and Panel Arbitrator
American Arbitration Association
Websites & Blogs
Shipley Law Group Web Site
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. The company pay date Is today for my time owed me. They say there will be a “delay”. What can I do to get my money?
A: Based upon your description I would recommend that you contact the Illinois Department of Labor and make a claim for the salary/wages you are apparently owed which have not been paid for three months. Here is a link to the website: Additionally, I would recommend that you consult with a lawyer to discuss the specifics of the issue you have described to determine other options that would be available for your particular circumstances.
Q. With the new law passed for coronavirus sick pay, would I be eligible if I elect to stay home or do I need a doctors not
A: Generally, an employer is permitted to have a policy which requires an employee to provide written confirmation from their medical provider when treatment has been received for a condition or illness which has caused the employee to miss time from work. Whether the time off is compensable depends upon the policies of the specific employer. If your company has an Employee Personnel Manual or Employee Handbook, I would recommend you review the policy regarding sick days and paid time off. If you are a union employee, your rights may also be impacted by a union agreement, so you should also check with your union. Finally, I would also recommend you consult with an attorney to discuss the specifics as it applies to your particular situation.
Q. I own property in a private campground that has recently banned concealed carry even with a license ? Is this legal?
A: Your question suggests that the property is governed by an Association. There should be Bylaws and a Declaration which define the scope of the Board’s authority and what actions require a vote of the Membership. That will help you determine whether the Board acted within the scope of its authority. As to whether the Association has the authority to restrict activities, the general answer is yes. For example it is not uncommon for restrictions to be placed on activities such as smoking.
Q. Ok my question is can sue this landlord for put a eviction in my name and I’m not even on lease sh
A: From the brief description of the facts, if you did not sign the lease, in other words you are not one of the designated tenants, then you have no obligation and cannot be sued. If however you signed as a guarantor under the lease then you can be sued for the past due rent obligation. I would recommend that you consult with an attorney to review the specific facts.
Q. Will I have to pay an employee I let go due to downturn in business due to coronavirus?
A: On a general basis, if an employee is ‘at will’ meaning they do not have an employment contract or subject to a union contract which might impact the terms of the employment, then such an employee can be terminated for any or no reason. The employee must be paid for the hours worked and any accrued benefits. Since each case is fact dependent, you should consult with an attorney to review the specific circumstances which gave rise to the question.
Q. Received a summons. However, I'm unemployed and can't afford to pay debt and court fees. Do I have to appear in court?
A: You should not ignore the summons, because if you do not appear, a judgment can be entered against you. If you are unemployed you may qualify for free legal services. You should contact Legal Aid Chicago, (312) 341-1070 or Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, 312-332-1624. Both are located in downtown Chicago.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Shipley Law Group Ltd.
120 North LaSalle Street
Suite 2100
Chicago, IL 60602
Toll-Free: (888) 493-8574
Telephone: (312) 527-4545
Fax: (312) 724-7534