Free Consultation: (269) 685-9220Tap to Call This Lawyer
Robert Champion

Robert Champion

Champion Law Offices
  • Criminal Law, Divorce, DUI & DWI...
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

With years of experience as an assistant prosecuting attorney assigned to major felony prosecution of homicides, home invasion, armed robbery, and criminal sexual conduct cases, I have successfully litigated thousands of criminal and civil cases covering a broad range of complex legal issues. With over 30 years combined experience in all aspects of the criminal justice system, I have a unique understanding of the criminal justice process. This includes experience as a former police officer, assistant prosecutor, a private practice attorney and as an instructor and presenter with both the Michigan State Bar - Criminal Law Section and the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan on issues involving drunk driving and domestic violence.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Free Consultation
    30 minute free consultation to discuss your case
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
6th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Owner, Attorney
Champion Law Offices
- Current
Prosecuting Attorney
Allegan County Prosecutors
University of Denver
J.D. (1994) | Law
Honors: Barristers’ Cup Fellow; Marion F. Jones Memorial Scholarship recipient; recipient of the American Jurisprudence Awards for Trial Practice and Advance Trial Practice.
Activities: Articles Editor of the Transportation Law Journal
University of Denver Logo
Ferris State University
B.S. (1977) | Criminal Justice
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Michigan State Bar # 52726
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
11 Questions Answered

Q. My daughter will be turning 18 by the end of the year. Can child support be modified after 18? She'll be living with me
A: If she still has not graduated from high school, he will still have to pay child support. If she lives with you 100% of the time, you will be entitled to more child support.
Q. Domestic Violence an child abuse as retaliation to a child custody case.
A: You need an experienced criminal defense attorney now. The prosecutors determined there is enough for a warrant. An attorney will be able to discuss the details of the case and sequence of events with the prosecutor, and attempt to get the case dismissed.
Q. Who do i notify im moving to michigan frm indiana if ive got joint but not physical custody? Do i need courts ok
A: Which ever court holds your current custody order will have to approve any move out of state.
Q. I need land transferred from my deceased father into my name. I am his only child.
A: You will most likely have to open an estate, become the personal representative for the estate, then execute documents to transfer ownership of the land. You should consult with an experienced probate attorney in your area to discuss all the options in detail.
Q. What to do if I have warrants but don't want to face any jail time because I am pregnant?
A: You need to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area. They can review your case with you, contact the court and the prosecutor to determine the charges and the warrants. They can also coordinate a time for you to turn yourself in and be arraigned (if this is coordinated, you will spend less time in jail).
Q. The mother of my children refuses to pick kids up in the am when I work thus me almost loosing my job. What can I do
A: First, do you have a Court order stating what time the child must be picked up? If not - you need one. You need a specific time. Then, you need to log the days she is supposed to pick up the child and what time she actually arrives. Once you can document a pattern of her failing to comply with the Order, you need to file a Motion with the court. Depending on the details of the case - you might be able to request that she be found in contempt of court for disobeying the order. You might be able to request she be fined each time she is late, etc. I would suggest you consult with a family law attorney in your area to discuss exact details and options for your case. Robert Champion
Q. Can I let the court know each month my sons father hasn't made his child support payment?
A: Is he ordered to pay support through the Friend of the Court? If yes (since there are contempt hearings, he probably is) - the Court already knows when he pays and how much he is behind. When show cause or contempt hearings are held, make sure you have contact with the FOC and appear. Let them know your circumstances and the hardship the situation presents for you. They may demand more of a payment, or hold the hearings more frequently.
Q. I am a us citizen from Michigan, and my partner is a illegal immigrant from Mexico. Are we able to get married?
A: You will be able to get married; however, this will not protect him from being deported for being here illegally. You need to contact an immigration attorney immediately to discuss options.
Q. Defendant in divorce case thats been dismissed due to plaintif not entering judgment for divorce in time. Can I file?
A: You can file for divorce - and you can file in the County that you live in (if you have lived there longer than 10 days). On the Summons, it will ask if there have been any previous actions - you will need to list the case number, court and judge of the case that was dismissed.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
124 E Bridge St
Plainwell, MI 49080
Telephone: (269) 685-9220
Fax: (269) 585-6104
330 Fuller Ave NE
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Telephone: (269) 685-9220
Fax: (269) 685-9227