Free Consultation: (301) 798-4100Tap to Call This Lawyer
Nyasha A. West

Nyasha A. West

West Law Firm, LLC
  • Bankruptcy, Divorce, Insurance Claims...
  • Maryland
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law

West Law Firm is a boutique law firm founded by Attorney Nyasha West. For more than a decade, Ms. West has represented consumers in bankruptcy and loss mitigation matters. In 2018, West Law Firm expanded to include Divorce Law, Insurance Law and Personal Injury.

West Law Firm is focused on providing excellent legal service to residents of Maryland in order to ensure they are not taken advantage of by creditors or insurance companies. It is our goal to treat all clients as though their matter is the only one what matters. To that end, at West Law Firm, clients are treated as people and not as files. Attorneys, and not paralegals, work on our client's matters.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Divorce
  • Insurance Claims
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
D.C. Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
West Law Firm, LLC
- Current
Howard University School of Law
J.D. (2005) | Law
Howard University School of Law Logo
Howard University
B.B.A. (1997) | Marketing
Howard University Logo
Professional Associations
Alliance of Black Women Attorneys
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland State Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Maryland # 17565
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Reclaiming Your Financial Life: Eliminate Overwhelming Debt Through Bankruptcy
Speaking Engagements
Women Business Owners: Get Legal, Stay Legal
Woman Behind The Business
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
17 Questions Answered

Q. When filing for separation does the other party have to moved. There are no children between the two.
A: Unlike an Absolute Divorce on the ground of Voluntary Separation, when parties seek to divorce on the ground of Mutual Consent, there is no requirement that they live separate and apart prior to seeking to dissolve the marriage. In Maryland, a divorce may be granted on the ground of Mutual Consent so long as the following conditions are met: 1. The parties have a signed settlement agreement that resolves property issues, alimony and issues related to dependent or minor children 2. Neither party seeks to set aside the settlement agreement prior to the divorce hearing 3. The parties attach a completed child support guidelines worksheet to the settlement agreement if it includes provisions for the payment of child support 4. The court is satisfied that the settlement agreement is in the best interests of the minor or dependent children, if any
Q. My bf's ex is filing for child support and he is 17, can she receive cs for all those 17 years even tho they were marrie
A: In Maryland, child support ends when the child reaches 18 years of age. The Court may enter an Order that includes arrears back to the date of filing, not the date of separation. Your boyfriend will be required to pay those arrears in full, even after the child turns 18.
Q. Hello , I live abroad and im planning to start a business. Do you also help people outside of the US ?
A: You need not be a US citizen to register a trademark with the USPTO.
Q. I'm about to lose my house to foreclosure and really want to prevent that from happening.
A: Filing bankruptcy creates an automatic stay. The automatic stay prevents creditors from pursuing further legal action against debtors, including foreclosure. There are instances where creditors may legally lift the automatic stay and proceed with collection of the debt, therefore, it is best to seek guidance from an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Depending on your strategy, either a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing or a Chapter 13 bankruptcy filing may successfully be used to prevent foreclosure. Most homeowners opt for Chapter 13 as it immediately brings the mortgage current whilst allowing the arrears to be repaid over a period of three to five years. We have help homeowners prevent foreclosure for nearly ten years.
Q. What am I looking at paying for a device in Maryland with kids
A: It sounds like you are asking about an Uncontested Divorce with Children. Having a spouse on board with a divorce and a working idea of what you want to include in the child custody and child support agreement are great starts, but, divorce is a complicated matter and should be discussed with an experienced Family Law attorney.
Q. Hi, Could you tell me whether or not I can use the trademark “Date Bar”?
A: When trademarking a name, the name may not cause confusion with another business . Currently, "The Date Bar" is a registered trademark for a fruit and nut business and therefore cannot be trademarked for a similar business. If you are attempting to trademark the name for a different type of business, such as maybe an on line dating site, you should be fine.
Q. If I file for bankruptcy, what assets will I be allowed to keep?
A: In bankruptcy, debtors are entitled to keep assets, up to a certain amount using bankruptcy exemptions. In Maryland, a few examples of assets that debtor's may keep include: 1. Home equity up to $23,675 2. Household goods up to $1,000 3. Clothing up to $5,000 4. Automobile up to $11,000 5. Cash or other personal property $6,000 6. Retirement accounts are fully exempt This list is far from exhaustive however and in order to protect your assets it is best to contact an experienced bankruptcy attorney.
Q. Do I still have to make lease payments if someone else caused an accident that totals my car?
A: Lease payments result from an agreement between yourself and your bank. If your car is totaled by a third party, whom lacks privity of contract with the bank holding your car note, you would file a claim against the third party's insurance. It is unlikely the insurance company will willingly make you whole and therefore situations like these are best handled by an attorney.
Q. trademarks question
A: Because your use of 123bc pre-dates any future trademark filings of the same name, the individual or company attempting to register the mark would not be able to sue you for infringement. Further, the filing of a trademark application requires evidence of the mark’s use in commerce. Absent such proof, unless the individual or company attempting to register the mark is using “intent to use” as a basis, the application is not likely to be approved. The process of registering a trademark is relatively inexpensive. It would be beneficial to register the mark sooner rather than later.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
West Law Firm, LLC
600 Reisterstown Road
Suite 600D
Pikesville, MD 21208
Telephone: (301) 798-4100
Fax: (301) 798-4100