Free Consultation: (217) 429-4296Tap to Call This Lawyer
Nrupa Patel

Nrupa Patel

  • Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Divorce...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Nrupa Patel joined the BRE Law team as a partner in June of 2017. Nrupa is an experienced litigator, having served as a Macon County prosecutor for four years. During her time there, she handled a variety of matters, including: felonies, traffic cases, domestic batteries, and juvenile delinquencies.

Utilizing and leveraging her previous experience and knowledge of the criminal justice system, Nrupa primarily practices criminal defense and family law at BRE Law. Nrupa is multilingual, giving her the unique ability to assist clients in Spanish, Hindi, and Gujarati.

Nrupa is a native of the Chicago suburbs. After graduating from high school, she attended Bradley University in Peoria, Illinois. There, she earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science and International Studies. Following her graduation from Bradley, Nrupa attended Northern Illinois University College of Law. At NIU, Nrupa participated in Moot Court, Mock Trial, and served as Vice President of the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund. Nrupa earned her Juris Doctorate from Northern in 2012.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • Juvenile Law
  • Family Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Municipal Law
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Free Consultation
    I offer a 15 minute free consultation on all cases except for abuse/neglect cases. There are consultation fees for lengthier consultations.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Gujarati: Spoken
  • Hindi: Spoken
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Assistant State's Attorney
Macon County State's Attorney's Office
Professional Associations
Illinois State Bar # 6309882
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Illinois State Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Decatur Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
77 Questions Answered

Q. Can a 17 year old get in trouble for having sex with a 14 year old even though the 14 year old concented
A: Yes because 14 year olds cannot consent according to the law. It's only a matter of time before she or an angry parent calls the police on you so it would be wise to quit having sex with minor girls. You risk being charged with a sex crime and then possibly having to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life.
Q. My probation has been revolked. While i wait for my court date do i still have to attend probation appointments?
A: yes (unless you want more violations to be pending)
Q. If I'm 18 and my 16 year old boyfriend gets me pregnant will I go to jail?
A: It doesn't matter what his parents approved of and I am sure they didn't "approve" of their son being a teen father. You could be charged criminally--that is a possibility but someone would have to complain to the police first and then the state's attorney's office would determine if they are going to be pressing charges
Q. If my girlfriend is 16 and I'm 19 consents to going with me without parent permission can I be charged with kiddnapping?
A: There can be a lot of things you could be charged with--she is a minor and I hope you aren't having sex with a minor. Ditch the girlfriend--if she or her parent's ever get mad at you and call the police, then you can be in a world of trouble
Q. I have a "operation of uninsured vehicle" ticket that I'm trying to pay
A: Have you even gone to court on this yet? Go to court and show them your insurance (even if you got it after the fact)--the prosecutor may be willing to dismiss or change the citation
Q. What's the minimum cost of a DUI conviction?
A: I think each court calculates costs a little differently but the total amount including fines, fees, and court costs and only monthly probation or supervision fee is probably thousands of dollars
Q. Ex husband demanding copies of my pay stubs and bonus structure. Do I have to provide?
A: The new law isn't automatic grounds for a new child support calculation. He would have to make substantially more or less then he did when the original child support was ordered
Q. Can I move out of state of Illinois at the age of 17 without parental consent without me or my friend getting in trouble
A: no you cannot. Your parents can report you as a runaway and any police officer (yes, even one out of state), can detain you and have you brought back to Illinois.
Q. Want to change my name looking for pro bono or low cost assistance.
A: Try Illinois Legal Aid
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Bolen, Robinson & Ellis, LLP
202 S. Franklin St., 2nd Floor
Decatur, IL 62523
Telephone: (217) 429-4296