Free Consultation: (423) 424-6208Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

Jones & Associates, PC, Attorneys at Law
  • Criminal Law, Divorce, Insurance Defense...
  • Tennessee
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

A graduate from the George Washington University Law School (GW), Kent T. Jones is the Owner and Managing Partner of Jones & Associates PC. Kent's undergraduate work at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville was in English and Honors Political Science. At GW, Kent placed first as an oralist in the Mid-Atlantic Regionals of the Phillip Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition and was appointed to be a Member of the GW Moot Court Board. Additionally, he served as President of the GW International Law Society, sponsoring speaker panels on international trade law, international criminal law, international human rights law and other areas, including, but not limited to sponsorship of an International Law Weekend with the Georgetown University Law School with a speaker from the U.S. Department of Commerce. After clerking for a prominent federal securities law firm and international trade law firm, both in Washington, DC, he secured an in-house position with a corporation in Chattanooga, Tennessee, producing contracts for Fortune 500 companies. During the next 13 years, Kent did predominantly insurance and workers' compensation defense work for a regional law firm, where he was a Senior Partner, with the execption of one and one half years with a plaintiff's employment discrimination law firm in Chattanooga. He formed Jones & Associates PC in April of 2012, and the core areas of practice developed into insurance law, divorce, criminal defense and personal injury, as well as other assorted assignments involving real estate, commercial creditors bankruptcy, wills, conservatorships, guardian ad litem work and workers' compensation. He is a former member of the Board of Trustees for a local, private Episcopal School and has participated in volunteer activities in the Hamilton County community, mostly involving health and children.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • Insurance Defense
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Employment Law
  • Free Consultation
    For billable cases, the first consultation is free.
  • Contingent Fees
    For workers' compensation plaintiff's cases, the fee is 20% of the total indemnity award. For other liability cases, it is 33 1/3 % or 40% if it goes to appeal.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I graduated from the George Washington University National Law School, where I was a Member of the Moot Court Board.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
6th Circuit
Federal Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Owner and Managing Partner
Jones & Associates, PC
- Current
Associate, Member, Senior Member
Allen, Kopet & Associates, PLLC
In-house Counsel and Corporate Trainer
Harrison Direct, Inc.
International Trade Law Clerk
Graham & James
Conducted research and drafted memoranda on international trade law.
Federal Securities Law Clerk
Routier, Mackey & Johnson, PC
The George Washington University Law School
J.D. (1991) | Law and International Law
Honors: Member, Moot Court Board
Activities: President of the International Law Society
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
B.A. | English and Honors Political Science
Honors: B.A. with Honors
AM Best Top Rated Insurance Attorneys
Based on client feedback.
Moot Court Board Member
George Washington University Law School
First place oralist, second place overall, Jessup Moot Court Comp.
George Washington University Law School
Professional Associations
Cleveland, Tennessee Bar Association # 20158
- Current
Activities: Attend regular informational meetings.
AM Best Top Rated Insurance Attorneys
- Current
UTK Alumni Association
- Current
George Washington University Alumni Association
- Current
St. Peter's Episcopal School Board
Member at Large
Articles & Publications
Divorce in Tennessee - Part 1
Divorce in Tennessee - Part 2
Divorce in Tennessee - Part 3
Where do I begin? I just suffered a personal injury in the State of Tennessee.
Speaking Engagements
Handling the Workers' Compensation Case From Start to Finish, NBI / National Business Institute, Chattanooga, Tennessee
I spoke on both Medical Issues During the Claim and Recovery from Third Parties
Licensed to Practice Law in Tennessee
Tennessee Supreme Court
Admitted to Practice Before the United States Dist. Ct. for the Eastern Dist. of Tenn.
United States District Court
Admitted to Practice Before the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Licensed Life, Accident and Health Insurance Provider
State of Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance
Websites & Blogs
Jones & Associates, PC website.
Legal Answers
144 Questions Answered

Q. if i was sentenced 2 years and the judge gave me over 1000 days credit on that 2 years and i sat in jail for 5 months
A: Your question does not make sense. If you had more credit than the time sentenced, why would you not have been on probation? I don't think there is a lot you can do about it now, though. I would talk to a local criminal defense attorney.
Q. Our son Who is a felon needs to stay at our house until he can get an apartment. Can guns be locked in a safe?
A: I would have your lawyer talk to your probation officer and/or judge. If you are not allowed to be around them, there may still be an issue.
Q. what happens if i couldn't get a lawyer in time for court
A: You have a Constitutional right to a lawyer. Just tell the Judge that you need to get a lawyer or have one appointed for you.
Q. If a person on probation violates the condition of the probation do the time they spent in the halfway house count
A: It should count. Just check with the jail.
Q. My husband was sentenced to a year at 30 percent on March 1 2019 and on the Tn foil website said sent end was July 1st b
A: Your question is difficult to understand. You may want to schedule an appointment with a local criminal defense attorney, so that he or she can ask you the appropriate questions.
Q. Is a gun gesture with no accompanying mitigating gestures considered a threat if it happens in the workplace?
A: That appears to be a very fact-based question that may need some more development by witnesses that were around, if any, and/or the strength of your own testimony. If you knew that there was truly no gun and that the guy was just simply harassing you, it may not rise to the level of a threat. However, if you think you can show that based upon your angle of sight, etc., that you thought there was a gun and were scared that you might get shot, then it would more than likely constitute a threat. Taking the facts on your end as true, it sounds similar to a case where someone robs a convenience store with a BB pistol that looks like a gun. If you can't tell that you were not being threatened with a gun, and the actions of the other person were intentional in that they wanted you to think there was a gun, then I would say, once again, that it is more probable than not that it was a threat.
Q. If someone is 17 and also pregnant and got into a fist fight with a 30 year old can they be charged with assault or juvy
A: I don't think that it really matters (but may be taken into consideration) the age or condition of the parties. If you are assaulted by someone, you can file a charge for assault with the local sheriff's department.
Q. Do you know of a lawyer who will work for free to represent an incarcerated individual who is being treated unfairly.
A: You may want to contact Legal Aid of East Tennessee or petition for a public defender or appointed attorney.
Q. Where would I call to file a criminal charge for official misconduct on tn city employee, no response from demand letter
A: Any criminal complaint would be filed through your local sheriff's office. That is a matter for the District Attorneys to handle. If you made a demand for monetary damages and threatened criminal prosecution, that would subject you to charges for criminal extortion, so be careful. I would advise you to consult with a criminal attorney before you do anything.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Cleveland Tennessee and Chattanooga Tennessee Lawyer
140 North Ocoee Street, Suite 290
Cleveland, TN 37311
Toll-Free: (423) 424-6208
Telephone: (423) 424-6208
Cell: (423) 424-6208