Free Consultation: (865) 637-3531Tap to Call This Lawyer
Mr. James Charles Wright

Mr. James Charles Wright

Butler, Vines and Babb
  • Personal Injury, Business Law, Appeals & Appellate...
  • Tennessee
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Mr. Wright was born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He attended Middle Tennessee State University (B.S., summa cum laude, 1977); the University of Tennessee (J.D., 1980). He was honored with the Order of the Coif and served on the Tennessee Law Review. Mr. Wright's father was a lawyer so he grew up working in his Dad's office. He is admitted to the United Supreme Court Bar as well as all Tennessee State and Federal Courts. He is also admitted before the Sixth Circuit and Fourth Circuit Bar as well as the U.S. Court of Claims. His practice is varied covering a broad spectrum of matters. Author credits include: Tennessee Current Legal Summaries. Co-Author: Avoiding Environmental Liability in Tennessee; Hazardous Waste in Tennessee. Mr. Wright was the Distinguished Alumni Speaker - University of Tennessee College of Law 2008 Commencement. He has been selected as a Mid-South Super Lawyer and has been selected and listed in a listing of Knoxville's best attorneys. He is AV rated and has been selected as one of the 10 best attorney's in Tennessee in client satisfaction. He has also been selected as one of the top 1% of lawyers in America by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. The firm as a whole has been noted as a U.S. News Best Law Firms in America and as a top law firm in Fortune Magazine. Mr. Wright is a past Chair of the Tennessee Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section. He has been on the Executive Committee of the Tennessee Bar Association Section on Environmental Law since the founding of the Section and is a past Chair of the Section. He is the Co-Chair of the Knoxville Bar Association Environmental Law Section. Mr. Wright served as lead State Chair for Tennessee for the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance and as an Education Committee Chair. Mr. Wright is a member of the American Inns of Court - Hamilton Burnett Chapter.

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Business Law
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Construction Law
  • Environmental Law
  • Insurance Defense
Additional Practice Area
  • General Civil
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Fee arrangements are negotiable with the client to meet the client's needs. Work can be done on an hourly basis, by the project or task or on a contingent fee or cost savings basis.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
6th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Butler, Vines and Babb
- Current
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
Honors: Order of the Coif Graduate
University of Tennessee - Knoxville Logo
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
Honors: Order of the Coif Graduate
University of Tennessee - Knoxville Logo
Best Lawyers in America listing
U.S. News and World Reports
AV Rating
Martindale Hubbell
The AV rating is the highest rating awarded. This based upon reviews by lawyers and judges.
Top 1% of Lawyers in America
The National Association of Distinguished Counsel
Top 1% of Lawyers in America
American Institute of Legal Counsel
Mid-South Super Lawyer
Super Lawyers
Professional Associations
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Current
Activities: Mr. Wright has served: Education Committee and as a State Chair. Mr.Wright also has a CLMP designation from CLM. He has spoken at the annual conference.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Tennessee State Bar # 009285
- Current
Activities: Mr. Wright has was a founding member of the Environmental Law Section. He has also served as The Chair of the Section Mr. Wright has also chaired the Section on Torts and Insurance Practice.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Tennessee Current Legal Summaries
Butler, Vines and Babb
Speaking Engagements
Ethics Update, Show of the South, Chattanooga
Moderated a three hour ethics update.
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
224 Questions Answered

Q. Is it illegal to run a dog kennel business out of a garage? Murfreesboro, TN
A: If you suspect this is animal cruelty or unlawful contact PAWS in Rutherford County at 615-898-7740. They should be able to respond.
Q. Is there anything I can do to get out of accident liability because new owner didn't register the vehicle I sold them.
A: Yes. If you sold the vehicle and have proof- ie a bill of sale or a signed over title and perhaps a check showing where you were paid- you should be able to furnish to the insurer to show that you were not the owner. Some states in order to transfer ownership require registration in order to have no liability. Tennessee is not one of those states. If you continue to be pushed on this you should contact an attorney. I had not read the response from Mr. Avery when I started this- but I agree with his comments.
Q. Involved in a crash, NO INJURIES. Driver of striking vehicle has no insurance and no license. Vehicle is insured.
A: Normally the rental car company will accept your insurance and you don't have to supply extra insurance while you are driving a rental car. The deposit should be returned to you when you are done with the rental. Your insurance company will only provide what they are required to supply -which is likely a set amount per day for a rental car- no insurance or extras. The third party would be liable - whether they have insurance or not. You may want to contact the other party and tell them your car is being repaired and you have some out of pocket expenses- see if the other person will pay. Note you cannot give them a release- as you would be impairing your insurer's rights to seek recovery from the other driver. Also, note if the other driver doesn't have coverage and doesn't pay for the damage the state can revoke the driver's driving privileges. You can report the driver for failure to have insurance.
Q. A pawn shop in the state of tn,sold me a computer that is locked and can not be used.They refused to refund my money.
A: Look at the paperwork with your purchase- look to see if they sold the computer "as is." If not then you would be correct. But also, you may want to talk to a computer expert- an expert may be able to unlock the computer for you.
Q. My 17 year old daughter broke her leg at a roller rink that had no safety rails on the wall is the rink liable?
A: There was legislation proposed several years ago to limit skating rinks from liability. I don't believe this passed. But I haven't checked for purposes of responding. In the absence of a special statute limiting liability, the roller rink would be liable for premises defects that are not "open and obvious."
Q. A property management company is refusing to show me the terms of a lease until AFTER I sign it. Is this legal?
A: First of all- you are doing the right thing. You should never sign a contract (a lease is a contract for an interest in real estate) without reading the contract and understanding the terms. At the same time, unless there is some type of discriminatory reason they will not share the lease- if the Landlord doesn't want to share the lease they don't have to. So you end up with an impasse- You won't sign if they won't show- and they won't show if you won't sign. I am not understanding why they won't show you the lease as I can't see how anyone would do what they are suggesting- blindly signing a document.
Q. I was driving my mother in law's car when a uninsured sixteen year old hit me.he had no license. The car has full covera
A: I am not sure why your Mother-in-Law's insurer is refusing to pay. If the car has "full" coverage there should be coverage for this accident. Also, even if the other driver was uninsured - if there is full coverage, there would be uninsured motorist coverage as well. You may need to ask for clarification as to why there is no coverage or uninsured motorist coverage.
Q. Can I get a workers comp settlement if I fell off ladder at work in tn?
A: Probably. Ask your employer if they have worker's compensation coverage. Make sure the employer has notice of the injury. If the employer doesn't - and they are a contractor- you will likely need to talk to an attorney as contractor's are generally required to carry worker's compensation regardless of the number of employees.
Q. I was in a small wreck just a fender bender a mile from my house, I had no license (Never had them) and no insurance I
A: If the accident was the other driver's fault then the fact you didn't have a license is likely not admissible on fault. Who is fault is determined by what happened in the accident. As to the ticket- It is good that you now have your learner's permit and insurance. The fact that you have these and that the accident wasn't your fault will be important - not only as to keeping the license you are about to get- but also as a factor for the Court to consider on your ticket. The Court may dismiss- but the Court could also fine you. Take it up with the Court and see what the Judge does- You best bet would be talk to a lawyer in your county where the case is- and have the lawyer deal with it.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
East Tennessee/ Smoky Mountains Location
2701 Kingston Pike
Knoxville, TN 37919
Telephone: (865) 637-3531
Fax: (865) 637-3385
108 N. Spring St.
Murfreesboro, TN, USA
Telephone: (865) 637-3531
Fax: (865) 637-3385