Free Consultation: (918) 796-5713Tap to Call This Lawyer
Melissa Oxford

Melissa Oxford

Attorney at Law | Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC
  • Family Law, Divorce, Business Law...
  • Oklahoma
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Melissa Oxford is from Webb City, a small town outside of Joplin, Missouri. She went to University of Arkansas for undergraduate studies and later attended the University of Arkansas School of Law. While in law school Melissa met her husband, Ben, a native Tulsan. Following graduation, Melissa and Ben moved to Tulsa and she began practicing law in September 2010. Initially, Melissa worked for a well-respected private law firm practicing workers' compensation defense. She sharpened her trial skills, took hundreds of depositions, and became an excellent negotiator by participating in numerous mediations. As a result of her hard work and proactive management of her caseload, Melissa was hired as in-house counsel for a large nationwide insurance company in 2012. During her six years with the company, she handled their workers' compensation defense litigation, which included large exposure catastrophic injuries and death cases. She also provided personal injury defense for the insurance company’s policyholders, from car wrecks to slip and fall cases. In 2018, Melissa left her in-house role to expand her practice area expertise. While working for a small boutique law firm, she honed her research and writing skill set and gained substantive practice experience in the areas of family law, contractual disputes, construction defect, personal injury, malpractice defense (architects, engineers, dentists, doctors, hospitals), employment, and oil and gas law. Melissa founded her own law firm, Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC, in February 2019.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Business Law
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Real Estate Law
  • Construction Law
  • Health Care Law
  • Insurance Claims
  • Insurance Defense
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Employment Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Workers' Compensation
Additional Practice Area
  • Adoption
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Oklahoma Bar Association
ID Number: 30287
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma
United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney at Law
Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC
- Current
Associate Attorney
McDaniel Acord & Lytle
Staff Attorney
The Hartford
Associate Attorney
McGivern & Gilliard
University of Arkansas School of Law
J.D. (2010)
Honors: Dean's List
Activities: Judicial Extern for the Honorable David Clinger, Equal Justice Works, Benjamin Altheimer Moot Court, Negotiation Competition Finalist, Client Counseling Competition Finalist
University of Arkansas - Fayetteville
B.A. (2007)
Honors: University of Arkansas Volunteer Spirit Award, E. Faye Jones Service to Scouting Award
Activities: Big Brothers Big Sisters - President and Mentor, Alpha Phi Omega National Community Service Organization - Vice President, Kappa Delta Sorority - Philanthropy Chair
E. Faye Jones Service to Scouting Award
Alpha Phi Omega
Volunteer Spirit Award
University of Arkansas
Professional Associations
Oklahoma Bar Association # 30287
Activities: Family Law Section - Member; Adoption Law Section - Member; Workers' Compensation Section - Member
Oklahoma Employment Lawyers Association # N/A
- Current
Tulsa County Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Young Lawyers Division Social Committee Co-Chair 2010-2012; Litigation Section; Lawyer Referral Service Committee
Websites & Blogs
Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC
"It Depends...A Legal Blog"
Legal Answers
26 Questions Answered

Q. I married then separated from a woman in 2008/2009 she has kids now am I liable.
A: If you were married to bio mom when she had the child(ren), under Oklahoma law you are presumed to be the father. This presumption can be overcome by a DNA test, but you will need to request same. You indicate you "signed a notarized paper for the mom from hospitals each time she popped another one out". If the document you signed was an acknowledgement of paternity, I recommend you consult an attorney specializing in paternity lawsuits in Oklahoma immediately.
Q. My fiancee has a 3 year old from a previous relationship and the father is not in his life at all and my fiancee has to
A: First, in Oklahoma a step-parent adoption requires you be married to the child’s parent for one (1) year. Second, you have to meet the qualifications set out in the law, mainly dealing with criminal history. Third, If the child is over twelve (12), they would have to consent. If these qualifications are met, it’s probably obvious the adoption will be much easier if the biological father consents. However, it is possible to terminate his parental rights without his consent, but it will depend on additional facts as to whether or not that is viable. Luckily, in Oklahoma a step-parent adoption is the only instance a home study is not required. I recommend you consult an attorney experienced with adoptions.
Q. If I have a court order in another state do I need to get it modified for the new state I live in?
A: Oklahoma continues to have jurisdiction if one of the parents resides here.
Q. My granddaughter, 7 years old has lived with me for the past 3.5 years. With both parents consent.
A: I recommend consulting an adoption attorney if one of the biological parents is contesting the adoption. There is also an adoption tax credit you may be entitled to if you are ultimately successful in adopting your grandchild, but you will have to pay the legal fees and claim it on your taxes later.
Q. I have sole custody, what proof do I need to show of abandonment etc so my new spouse can adopt my children?
A: I agree with Mr. Lehr. In addition, moving forward with an adoption without the biological father’s consent on the basis of abandonment is a complex, fact-specific analysis and in some instances a Judge may even take into account (among many other factors) whether or not a birthday card was sent to the child. However, keep in mind your current spouse must meet certain qualifications for a step parent adoption to be approved, and you must have been married for one (1) year. In addition, if the child is older than twelve (12), they must also consent to the adoption. Luckily, a step-parent adoption does not require a home study under Oklahoma law. I certainly recommend you consult an adoption attorney.
Q. In the state of Oklahoma; if a child is not in school due to legal issues, does child support still need to be paid?
A: Child support must be paid until the child turns 18, unless the child has not graduated from high school. If the child has not graduated high school the child support continues until the child has graduated high school or turns 20, whichever occurs first. Please keep in mind mentally and physically disabled children are treated differently and are not typically subject to these age restrictions. I recommend consulting with an attorney to discuss further.
Q. When a federal law appears to contradict a SCOTUS majority opinion, but is not directly addressed; which preempts?
A: It depends on when the federal law was enacted, before or after the opinion, and whether or not the opinion addresses the statute and declares it unconstitutional or otherwise invalidates it.
Q. I'm wanting to divorce my husband but he's only one on bank account i got no car no money no job bc I'm at stay home mom
A: I recommend contacting Legal Aid of Oklahoma or one of the organizations listed on the Oklahoma Bar website to discuss your options.
Q. If temp. Gaurdianship ended in Feb and theres been no court date does Mom have custody back?
A: I recommend consulting with an attorney that handles guardianship to determine the status and possibly setting a court date.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC
1874 S. Boulder Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74119
Telephone: (918) 796-5713