Free Consultation: (517) 258-8020Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kenneth V Zichi

Kenneth V Zichi

Kenneth V . Zichi J.D.
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law ...
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Helping Livingston County residents navigate the legal system for 30 years. I focus on Wills, Trusts, Estate Planning and Probate, with a significant portion of my practice also concerning Real Estate and general civil litigation. If you have questions or issues with your home, a cabin up north, or want to insure your family is cared for after you are gone, I'd be happy to meet with you, perhaps bust some myths, and certainly insure YOUR and your family's needs are met. Call for an appointment today!

Practice Areas
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Insurance Claims
    Bad Faith Insurance, Business Insurance, Disability Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Property Insurance
    Landlord Tenant
    Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
    Family Law
    Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
  • Free Consultation
    Telephone [(810) 299-5222] or office conferences, 20 minutes or less. Longer conferences may incur a minimal fee.
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Kenneth V . Zichi J.D.
- Current
City of Williamston (Michigan)
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Logo
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A.B. | History / Communications
Honors: LS&A Honors College 1977-1979
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Michigan
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
estate and probate section Michigan bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Law and Media committee - State Bar of Michigan
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Newsroom Seminar, WNEM TV/AM - Saginaw MI
State Bar of Michigan - Law & Media committee
An hour-long seminar addressing some of the common practical and substantive difficulties journalists encounter in covering the legal system in Michigan.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
1041 Questions Answered
Q. Hello. Im in Michigan and I am filling out informal probate / personal representative form 558. I'm stuck on question 9.
A: The 'priority' for appointment is based on the Michigan Probate statute. If there is a will, the person named in the will has priority. If there is no will a surviving spouse does. If there is no surviving spouse all surviving children have equal priority. If you don't understand, you will be well served to hire an attorney. Why? The form you're citing may not be necessary at all, and there may be less expensive and involved ways to proceed. Without seeing all the facts and circumstances and exploring what sort of property needs to be distributed by Probate it is impossible to answer what the best process is. PLEASE don't be 'penny wise and pound foolish' about this -- seek qualified local legal assistance from a licensed attorney to review all the facts and provide you real advice!
Q. Man dies in MI. owns land worth $4,000 in SC does land auto go to spouse or has to file probate. His estate under $20k
A: Mr Harris is correct, and indeed, if there is no Michigan property to probate, you may be able to JUST file a SC probate action to deal with the property there despite the residency of the deceased. Again, get that SC attorney opinion to verify what and how you should proceed. It would be a shame to have to do probate in BOTH states for such a small value asset, but that may be required. That said, it just emphasizes more how important pre-death planning is as listing a survivor or a joint ownership plan could have avoided all of this. Good luck!
Q. Can a sibling sign herself up for POA over a parent who has dementia without informing her other siblings?
A: No -- and there are several issues rattling around in your question that SCREAMS your family need to get real advice from a local estate planning attorney. If someone lacks 'testamentary capacity' because of dementia or any other illness, they cannot create estate planning documents. Further you don't EVER get PoA "over" someone. You get it FOR them. That is not just a semantic difference. If you have PoA that means you have a "Fiduciary duty" to act only in that person's best interests. You don't get 'control' and you can't 'sign up for' that authority. Get with a local attorney ASAP to insure things aren't being messed up irreparably at this point!
View More Answers
Contact & Map
1360 W. Grand River Ave, Howell MI
PO Box 1121
Fowlerville, MI 48836
Telephone: (810) 299-5222
Cell: (517) 258-8020
Monday: 10 AM - 5:30 PM
Tuesday: 10 AM - 5:30 PM
Wednesday: 10 AM - 5:30 PM
Thursday: 10 AM - 5:30 PM (Today)
Friday: 10 AM - 2:30 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: Please call for either an in person or 'zoom' appointment. Conferences beyond an initial phone screening by appointment only.
1360 W. Grand River Ave
Howell, MI 48843
Toll-Free: (517) 258-8020
Cell: (810) 299-5222
Brighton Phone
Brighton, MI 48116
Telephone: (810) 299-5222