John A. Sopuch III, a trial lawyer with a history of winning some of the nation’s biggest verdicts, has joined The Collins Law Firm as Of Counsel.
In 2002, the National Law Journal recognized John’s nearly $43 million verdict (in Miami Cigar v. UST, et al., a business fraud case) as among the top 100 verdicts in the nation that year. In 2004, John did it again, with his $30 million verdict in a breach of contract case, Basic Capital Management Inc. v. Dynex Commercial, Inc.
Hailing from St. Louis, MO, John was born on March 21, 1965. Attending prep school at The St. Louis Priory, he went on to study at the University of Texas where he graduated in 1987. John received his law degree from Pepperdine University School of Law in 1990.
Upon graduating from law school, John joined a boutique litigation firm of Bickel & Brewer, working at the firm’s Chicago offices. John remained at Bickel & Brewer until 1997, becoming, at the time, the youngest person to make partner at the firm.
John left Bickel & Brewer in 1997 and started his own firm – Sopuch Annett Higgins & Gaubert – with offices in Chicago and Dallas, and later in St. Croix, United States Virgin Islands, USVI.
In 1999 and again in 2001, John was appointed by Governor Charles W. Turbull of the USVI to be a Special Assistant Attorney General to aid the government of the Virgin Islands Bureau of Internal Revenue in several substantial pieces of litigation and favorably settled those matters for more than $10 million collectively.
In 2005, John left the firm he had been instrumental in founding, and became Of Counsel to the Honolulu firm of Starn O’Toole Marcus & Fisher. Recently, John moved back to Chicago and joined The Collins Law Firm, where his trial lawyering skills and list of verdicts for his clients add to the depth of talent at The Collins Law Firm. John’s practice areas are focused on business litigation and other forms of commercial dispute resolution.
- Business Law
- Personal Injury
- Real Estate Law
- Free Consultation
- Virgin Islands
- 3rd Circuit
- 5th Circuit
- 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of the Virgin Islands
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- Of Counsel
- The Collins Law Firm, P.C.
- Pepperdine University School of Law
- University of Texas - Austin
- Hawaii State Bar
- Texas State Bar
- Illinois State Bar
- Virgin Islands Bar
- John A. Sopuch's Website Profile
- The Collins Law Firm, P.C. Website
- Illinois Personal Injury Lawyer Blog
- Common Causes of Truck Accidents
5 December 2019
- Smog Pollution Linked to Tens of Thousands of Premature Deaths Each Year
8 November 2019
- Naperville / Lisle Child Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
3 November 2019
- Breast Cancer Awareness: Know the Risk Factors and Take Action
29 October 2019
- What Insurance Covers Pedestrians Hit by a Car?
3 October 2019
- Attorney Shawn Collins’ Statement in Response to the Closing of Sterigenics’ Willowbrook Facility
1 October 2019
- Shawn Collins’ Statement Regarding Illinois EPA’s Decision to Give Sterigenics a Permit
27 September 2019
- Vaping-Related Lung Disease: The Hidden Danger in Your Vape Pen
16 September 2019
- Taking Zantac? FDA to Investigate Carcinogen in Zantac and Generic Versions
14 September 2019