Free Consultation: (408) 985-9918Tap to Call This Lawyer
James Edward Berge

James Edward Berge

Berge & Berge LLP
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
Practice Areas
Elder Law
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Estate Planning Attorney
Berge & Berge LLP
- Current
Golden Gate University School of Law
LL.M. | Taxation
Honors: Cum Laude
Placeholder image for education.
Santa Clara University School of Law
J.D. (1986)
Honors: Cum Laude
Santa Clara University School of Law Logo
Santa Clara University
B.S. (1981) | Accounting
Honors: Magna Cum Laude Alpha Sigma Nu
Placeholder image for education.
Elijah Watt Sells Award
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Top 100 Score in the Nation on May 1981 Uniform CPA Exam
Professional Associations
California State Bar  # 126568
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Special Needs Trusts: Planning, Drafting and Administration
University of California Continuing Education of the Bar
Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law
California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
224 Questions Answered
Q. Is there a form to waive probate for property of little value
A: If you and your parents are all joint owners of the property, you should be able to claim your ownership of their half of the property by a simple affidavit of death of joint owner without the need for probate. If you and your parents are all tenants in common (they own an undivided one-half and you own an undivided one-half of the property but there's no right of survivorship, you will need a court order establishing that you now own their one-half of the property. If it can be established that the fair market value of their one-half of the property is under $185K, there is a simplified probate procedure that can be completed within 60 days at a substantial cost savings to a full probate. If it can be established that the property is (or was intended to be) trust-owned property, there's another probate procedure that you can use to establish the existence of the trust, the name of the trustee, and the properly belonging to the trust (referred to as a Heggstad petition), which can also be completed within 60 days at a substantial cost savings to a full probate. If none of the above are available, you may have no other choice but to file a petition for probate of the estate. If you need the help of an attorney to explore your options, feel free to give us a call. We have over 30 years' experience in this field. ... Read More
Q. In California, is a small estate affidavit suffice to open a estate account at Citi Bank?
A: No. The only way to open an estate account is with certified letters testamentary or letters of administration issued by a probate court. If your situation is truly a small estate, then those persons rightfully entitled to the money through the estate should sign the small estate affidavit form claiming the money in their individual capacities, submit the form to the bank, collect the money and close out the account. There should be no need for an estate account.
Q. Once a probate case is underway, is it too late to change to a spousal property petition?
A: No, it’s not too late.
View More Answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
1101 S Winchester Blvd Ste I-208
San Jose, CA 95128
Telephone: (408) 985-9918
Fax: (408) 985-9945