Profile Image Placeholder

Jake Causing Santos

Norrie & Associates
  • Appeals & Appellate, Elder Law, Estate Planning...
  • New Jersey
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Jake C. Santos is a Senior Associate Attorney at NOrrie & Associates located in Northern New Jersey. His primary practice areas include estate and trust administration, accountings, audits and litigation, elder care and disability law, Social Security and Medicaid law, estate, trust and tax planning, and immigration. As an associate with the firm, Mr. Santos has also assisted clients in the areas of real estate transactions, property tax appeals, guardianship law, and business and employment law.

In addition to his legal experience, Mr. Santos has several years experience as an analyst and consultant in human resource management in diverse industries from non-profit, healthcare to a Fortune 500 company. His responsibilities included conducting financial audits, developing budgets and cost projections, database development and administration, and corporate communications.

Practice Areas
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Immigration Law
  • Probate
Additional Practice Areas
  • Disability
  • Estate Litigation
  • Financial Audits
  • Medicaid
  • Public Benefits
  • Social Security
  • Trusts
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa and MasterCard
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Associate Attorney
Norrie & Associates
- Current
Middlesex County College
Certificate (2003) | Accounting
Placeholder image for education.
Rutgers University - New Brunswick/Piscataway
Masters (2002) | Communication & Information Studies
Placeholder image for education.
Rutgers University - New Brunswick/Piscataway
Masters (1999) | Human Resource Management
Placeholder image for education.
Rutgers University - New Brunswick/Piscataway
Masters (1999) | Labor & Industrial Relations
Placeholder image for education.
Rutgers School of Law-Newark
J.D. (1997) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Rutgers University - New Brunswick/Piscataway
B.A. (1994) | Statistics/Mathematics
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
New Jersey State Bar # 032011998
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
55 Questions Answered

Q. If you are approved for state disability medicaid in indiana can it help your disability claim with ssdi?
A: I practice in NJ so I am not familiar with Indiana's regulations but the general rule for Social Security is they are not bound by disability determinations made by other government agencies. However, I have in the past used other government disability determinations as additional evidence to supplement the medical records.
Q. When does social security run out
A: You will have to clarify your question since Social Securtiy administers multiple benefits, but if you are referring to Social Security Disability benefits based on your own work record, then benefits continue so long as you continue to meet Social Security's definition for disability (which includes not engaging in substantial gainful activity) and then when you reach full retirement age, the benefits are then converted to retirement benefits.
Q. Does Chronic Constipation qualify for SSDI for Child?
A: Any medical conditions for children can be found to be disabling. However, the medical conditions must result in marked or extreme limitations. Based on the information you provided, two hospitalizations in two months could be extreme if the medical records show that frequent hospitalizations are expected going forward or that the hospitalizations were for more than a couple of days at a time. There is no hard figure on the number of hospitalizations that are frequent enough to be considered disabling. You mentioned SSDI, but I believe you are looking at SSI which is Supplemental Security Income. This program also has to take into account the parents' income and resources and if it is too high, it does not matter how severe the medical conditions are because your child could not meet the financial requirements. This information is general nature and you may want to consult with a local attorney.
Q. Is suing for return of security deposit considered contract or tort
A: That is a contract claim, plus NJ has specific laws that cover security deposits.
Q. What steps should I take against fraud committed by my landlord.
A: Unfortunately, this question is too vague. What makes you believe that your landlord is engaging in fraud?
Q. I am unemployed and no money to pay debts are there lawyers who will help me file bankruptcy paperwork pro bono?
A: Legal Services of NJ ( may be able to provide assistance. Also the local law school may run a bankruptcy clinic for individuals with low incomes. In NJ, the law schools are Rutgers Newark, Rutgers Camden, and Seton Hall in Newark.
Q. How years it takes to become a lawyer
A: In NJ, you have to complete college and 3 years of law school (if you are in school full-time) or 4 years of law school (if you are in school part-time). Then you have to pass the NJ Bar Exam.
Q. Im trying to locate a lawer to talk about my 11 mth old son. he's tangled up w/ the state. is thier help on the way.
A: You may be able to find an attorney to contact from the directory on this website, your local county bar association, or if you have a low income, Legal Aid Services of NJ.
Q. My brother who is 24 and mentally challanged has been abused and we need to get guardianship over him, but have no help
A: You could file a complaint with the local police department but you will have to have some way to substantiate your claim of abuse. If the abuse was from a healthcare worker, you may be able to file a complaint with the agency that employed the worker or file a complaint with the State if the healthcare worker is licensed by the State. Your brother may also be able to receive assistance from the NJ Division of Developmental Disabilities, which may include funds to pay for a guardianship proceeding. You can also hire your own attorney to file for guardianship. Our firm practices in the area of guardianship and disability and may be able to help. More info about our firm is available at
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Norrie & Associates
500 International Drive North
Suite 125
Mount Olive, NJ 07828
Telephone: (973) 347-3347
Fax: (973) 347-5488