Call now or visit our website to get your FREE Inventor’s Guide to Patents book and consultation!
Live to your purpose! Protect and bring to market your visionary idea!
Our firm's sole focus is patents. When you specialize you serve your customers the best. Trusted nationwide by scientists, inventors, entrepreneurs, investors, and more!
It is a common misconception that inventors and business people have, that as soon as an invention is granted a Patent from the USPTO, that interested tech companies will come knocking at the door looking to license your invention or buy the technology.
Or, that magically there will be a massive demand for it and customers will be out looking for the invented product.
For as long as Bold Patents has been around, and the Patent Attorneys behind it, we have enlightened inventors to understand the bigger picture and challenged them, right from the onset, that they should fully understand that it takes both a new technology and a solid business plan to make any product or service have a lasting impact on the economy.
There's just no comparison, period.
We go beyond patents, providing you business expertise to ensure both patentability and marketability of your invention.
Give us a call or visit our website to book your free consultation and get your Inventor's Guide to Patents book for free! > (800) 849-1913
About the attorney:
J.D.’s passion for business and technology started well before he began his legal career. J.D. worked as an engineer at Boeing for nearly 10 years. J.D. spent his time at Boeing in payloads design, regulatory compliance, systems integration and project management on the new 787 airplane. J.D. brings this experience earned at the cutting edge of technology to his clients by recognizing the complexities and subtleties of the problems being solved today. Academically, J.D. has earned a law degree and an MBA from Seattle University.
- Intellectual Property
- Business Law
- Trade Secrets
- Free Consultation
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Federal Circuit
- English: Spoken, Written
- Systems Engineer
- Design, Integration and Certification of Commercial Jet Liners.
- Seattle University
- J.D. (2014) | Intellectual Property
- Activities: IP Society - Secretary
- Seattle University
- MBA (2010) | Entreprenuership & Business Finance
- University of Washington
- B.S. (2007) | Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Client's Choice
- The number of client reviews earned me the Client's Choice Award. Earning this award was made apparent by an email notification I received from Avvo, and allowed me to display a badge on my profile representing my earned award. You are awarded the Clients' Choice badge if you receive five or more 4+ star reviews in a calendar year. It links to your Avvo profile.
- King County Bar Association
- Snohomish County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association # 48159
- The Importance Patents Play in Aerospace
- Industry Today
- Legal Workshop for Small Businesses, Legal Workshop for Small Businesses, Townsquared, Seattle, WA
- IP experts cover what you should know about: - Legal contracts - Opening additional locations - Management issues - Employee disputes - Agency audits and investigations - Intellectual Property issues – copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets
- Registered Patent Attorney; #72087
- Professional Engineer
- License; #48930
- Bold Patents Website
- Book Free Consultation
- Bold Patents Law Firm
- Cannabis & Patents: What’s Coming Next?
30 July 2019
- Top 17 Coworking Spaces in Phoenix
24 July 2019
- How to do a Design Patent Search: Everything You Should Know
23 July 2019
- How to Write & Submit a Patent Application: Ultimate 2019 Guide
2 July 2019
- Selling Your Patent: What you Need to Know
25 June 2019
- 23 Essential Resources For Entrepreneurs and Inventors in Chicago
14 June 2019
- The Ultimate Utility Patent Guide for 2019: What it is & What it Protects
11 June 2019
- Top 17 New York Business Attorneys
4 June 2019
- Best 41 Co-Working Spaces in Brooklyn, NY (Updated in 2019)
21 May 2019
We strive to serve everyone from solo entrepreneurs and small businesses to fortune 500 companies with our IP services. Bold Patents focuses on intellectual property law, including Patent Prosecution & Litigation, IP Licensing, Trademarks, Copyright, & Trade Secrets. Because we know for many start-ups and emerging businesses, protecting your IP is a big deal. Therefore, after getting to know you, your company, and the big picture, Bold Patents attorneys and agents will be better positioned to help you leverage your company’s intellectual property assets and turn them into bottom-line profits. You Can Change the World! Go Big! Go Bold!
- Q. Based on the "All Elements Rule" How do I draft an independent claim to prevent designing around my patent?
- A: There are a lot of things you may not be considering here. Have you done a prior art search? Is your specification enabling? Claim drafting is a true art - akin to a Dentist filling a cavity, a Doctor casting a broken bone, a CPA filling out a detailed depreciation schedule. Hire a patent attorney! :)
- Q. Is it possible to get a patent on an anti-gravity propulsion device without the United States government taking it away?
- A: Yes it is possible! The government (I believe it is the DoD) would screen the application (as they do all applications) for any technology that could threaten security/safety of the public. Given your brief description, it doesn't seem to fall into that category. That said, even if there were a restriction on filing, it by no means would prevent you from getting a patent on it...and likely profiting from its sale/license to the government! Cheers! J.D. Houvener Founder, Bold IP www.boldip.com Free 30-Min Consultation: www.calendly.com/bold-ip
- Q. Can I file a US Patent for a product being sold in a foreign country?
- A: Yes, you may! As long as you are the inventor and the product has only been sold to the public for less than one year. The public sale will likely preclude you from having protection in some countries outside the US, as many European countries are what's called "absolute novelty" countries, where they require that the invention never have been disclosed to the public. There will be many things to consider as you move down the path of filing. I heartily recommend you seek the counsel of a Registered Patent Attorney.
- Q. Does mailing a copy of original work to yourself give you any copyright protection?
- A: Will Blackton is spot on. You don't get anything for mailing yourself a letter - save yourself the stamp! You actually have legal and enforceable copyright protection on any creative expression as long as it is fixed in a tangible means. So as long as you put pen to paper, keyboard to digitally stored file, music on a track or paint to canvas, you have protection. To further fortify and enable enforcement of your creative work to prevent others from infringing your copyright, it is helpful to register it with the Library of Congress. While you can do this on your own, many artists choose to have an attorney handle the copyright application to make sure everything is done right.