Free Consultation: (317) 900-6692Tap to Call This Lawyer
Erik Carter

Erik Carter

Using the law as a tool to realize your vision of life after litigation.
  • Family Law, Appeals & Appellate, Divorce ...
  • Indiana
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

If you disagree with a final court order, you have 30 days to challenge it by Notice of Appeal or Motion to Correct Errors. Consultations for these requests receive immediate response.
My focus is on the efficient and cost-effective realization of YOUR vision of family life after litigation. I’ve been licensed in Indiana state and Federal courts since 1993, and also had licenses in Illinois and Pennsylvania (both voluntarily inactive). My areas of focus are family law, mediation and appeals. Let’s use the law and courts as tools to help .your family for once.

Practice Areas
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Appeals & Appellate
Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Consultations available at offices in Noblesville, Fishers, and Carmel, as well as Indianapolis and throughout central Indiana. Phone consultations available. Discretion guaranteed.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
7th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founder & President
Carter Legal Services LLC
- Current
Practice focused on family law litigation, including custody and parenting time; family law appeals; ChINS; divorce and paternity actions
Litigation Manager; Senior Attorney
Cordell & Cordell P.C.
Opened and managed Indianapolis office of nation's largest domestic relations firm focused on men. Represented men and women from Wayne County to Vigo County, and St. Joseph County to Clark County.
Law Offices of Jeffery Leving, PC
Divorce and paternity litigation in Indiana and Illinois. Firm focused on representing men in family law courts.
Domain Disputes
Founder of firm focused on ICANN domain name disputes.
Ratner & Prestia
Intellectual property law firm. Experiences included patent drafting, infringement analysis, and copyright and trademark litigation.
Indiana University Maurer School of Law
J.D. (1993) | Law
Activities: Law Caucus for Women's Concerns; Men Against Violence Against Women (founder)
Indiana University Maurer School of Law Logo
Ohio University
B.S. (1983) | Computer Science
Honors: National Merit Scholar; Wilson Chemistry Scholarship
Ohio University Logo
Professional Associations
Indiana State Bar  # 17260-53
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
William D Norman v. Rachelle L Norman
Indiana Court of Appeals opinion
Unsupervised Estate: Belinda Wycoff, et al. v. Brookville Mobile Estates, LLC.
Indiana Court of Appeals opinion
CHINS: A C v. Indiana Department of Child Services
Indiana Court of Appeals opinion
Master Six Sigma Black Belt
International Six Sigma Institute
Websites & Blogs
Carter Legal Services LLC
Legal Answers
3 Questions Answered
Q. Is there certain times of the day or week that you can file an appeal ?
A: A Notice of Appeal must be filed within 30 days of a final appealable order. If the 30th day falls on a weekend or day that the Clerk of the Court of Appeals is closed, it rolls over to the next open business day. The Notice of Appeal must be accompanied by the filing fee or a request to waive the fee. The Court of Appeals has on rare occasions permitted a Notice to be filed after the 30 days have passed but that is on a case-by-case basis and is extremely fact-specific (in other words, not guaranteed at all to be accepted).

Appeals - either interlocutory or of a final order - should be discussed with an experienced appellate attorney.
Q. Relocating out of state with daughter. If dad appeals, will it drag out the process if I need to move by a certain day?
A: This is not an appellate question, it is a custody/relocation question. Indiana Code 31-17-2.2-1 et seq. covers the notice requirements for a relocating parent and the options available to the non-relocating parent.
Q. If your the non custodial parent how to seek custody if child has been left in your care the past 3 years?
A: Your question implies that an Order exists that awarded custody to the Mother. You would file a Petition to Modify Custody with all the allegations you placed in your question. You should consider filing a Petition for Injunction to maintain the current situation, asking the Court to allow the child to remain with you while the litigation is going on; a Petition to Suspend your child support (if necessary); and a Petition for Temporary Child Support (from her). Basically, you have to tell the Court what the current situation is and ask the Judge to change to Order to make it permanent. You should consider consulting an experienced attorney.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Carter Legal Services LLC
23 S. 8th Street
Suite 45
Noblesville, IN 46060
Telephone: (317) 900-6692
Fax: (317) 942-0460