Free Consultation: (618) 692-8225Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Devin C. DiDominicus

  • Divorce, Criminal Law, Family Law ...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

Devin C. DiDominicus was born in Granite City, Illinois. He received his law degree from DePaul College of Law in Chicago, Illinois where he won awards for his superior performance in trial advocacy, litigation strategies, and securities law. After spending time with the Cook County Public Defender’s Office, he returned to southern Illinois to open his own practice. While practicing on his own, he handled family cases, including complex and contested divorces, as well as criminal and testamentary matters. Counselor DiDominicus now works with the firm of Swanson and Sackett, P.C.

Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Landlord Tenant
Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • German: Spoken, Written
DePaul College of Law
J.D. (2014) | Law
Honors: Dean's List, CALI Awards in Secured Transactions, Trial Advocacy
DePaul College of Law Logo
University of Illinois - Springfield
B.S. (2011) | Political Science, Political Philosophy, Linguistics
Honors: Capital Scholars Honors Graduate
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
State Bar of Illinois  # 6317688
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
2 Questions Answered
Q. Can I move in with my dad?
A: If there is a parenting time order, your father needs to consult with an attorney regarding a motion to modify parenting time and responsibility. You're old enough that your opinion matters regarding placement, but keep in mind that your father's registration may have additional terms and conditions preventing him from cohabitating with you.

If your parents were married when you were born, or there has been a formal finding of paternity:

If there's no existing order, and your dad's registration doesn't prevent him from living with you, then yes, you very probably could simply go live with your father, as the police won't remove you back to your mother's house without an order saying they should. Your father would still want to file a petition to establish parenting time and parental responsibility.

If your parents were not married, or there has not been a formal finding of paternity:

Your father may not yet have standing to assert any parental rights over you, which means your mother could have the police retrieve you from his home at any time. If that is the case, your father needs to file a paternity action to establish his role as parent.

As always, these cases are highly complex, and your father should consult a local attorney with whom he can share all of the details.
... Read More
Q. can the guy my son calls dad adopt
A: The biological parent will need to be notified of the adoption, and the adoption will eliminate the parental rights of the biological parent. The adoptive parent will then stand in the place of the biological parent for the purposes of child support responsibility, inheritance (both ways), and will have equal standing in child custody disputes with you.

The hiccup, in your case, would be that the two of you are no longer together. Many judges would hesitate to grant an adoption between parties whose existing relationship is likely to result in a dispute, and many jurisdictions require that both of the adopting parties be married, which your post suggests that you are not.

I would recommend giving a local adoption attorney in your jurisdiction a call. Many lawyers offer free consultations, and they may be able to guide you through the necessary changes to your existing lifestyle that would be required to effectuate an adoption. ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
315 N. Main Street
Edwardsville, IL 62025
Telephone: (618) 692-8225