Mr. King began his legal career with the Sacramento County Public Defender's Office as a California State Bar Certified Law Student. He has defended juveniles during Sacramento County Juvenile Court detention hearings, assisted psychiatric patients placed on Conservatorship holds, and represented in-custody and out-of-custody clients during Sacramento Superior Court misdemeanor arraignments. Mr. King twice earned academic honors for his internship work at the Sacramento County Public Defender's Office.
After graduation, Mr. King served as a Law Clerk and Deputy District Attorney in Del Norte County where he prosecuted felony and misdemeanor juvenile cases. As a prosecutor, Mr. King conducted approximately fifty juvenile contested hearings, a domestic violence jury trial, prepared, submitted, and regularly argued criminal memoranda in Del Norte County Superior Court, and successfully negotiated multiple plea bargains with defense counsel. He has won felony and misdemeanor convictions for offenses such as Robbery, Burglary, Theft, Resisting Arrest, Assault and Battery, Vandalism, Drug Use, Drug Possession, Drug Sales, and Driving Under the Influence.
In addition, Mr. King has researched and prepared civil rights memoranda for submission to the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, and litigated construction, contract, fraud, and internet libel matters.
Since opening his own practice, Mr. King now appears in the Sacramento, Placer, Yolo, Yuba, Nevada, Alameda, El Dorado, San Joaquin, and Solano County Courts on DUI, criminal, traffic, juvenile, and family law matters. He has effected dismissals ranging from domestic violence temporary restraining orders to felony conspiracy, and negotiated multiple plea bargains with county prosecutors. In addition, he regularly litigates family law matters ranging from child custody and support to non-contested marital dissolution.
Mr. King is a 2005 graduate of McGeorge School of Law and has been a member of the California State Bar since 2006.
- Criminal Law
- Domestic Violence
- DUI & DWI
- Family Law
- Traffic Offenses
- Free Consultation
Flat Fees/No Hourly Billing Practices
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
- Owner and Solo Practitioner
- The Law Office of Derek J. King
- - Current
- The Law Office of Derek J. King specializes in Criminal, Juvenile, Traffic, and Family Law matters in the Greater Sacramento and Northern California Area.
- Associate Attorney
- Herrig & Vogt, LLP
- General Civil Litigation.
- Law Clerk/Deputy District Attorney
- Del Norte County District Attorney's Office
- Felony, Misdemeanor, and Juvenile prosecution.
- Student Intern
- Sacramento County Public Defender's Office
- Juvenile Defense, Conservatorships, and Misdemeanor Defense.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- J.D (2005) | Law
- Honors: Sacramento County Public Defender Clinic, Juvenile and Misdemeanor Divisions
- Fitchburg State College
- B.S (1993) | History
- Student Internship Honors, Juvenile Division and Misdemeanor Division
- Sacramento Public Defender's Office
- California State Bar # 242236
- - Current
- Member No. 242236
- California State Bar