Free Consultation: (901) 527-0511Tap to Call This Lawyer
Christopher Gilreath

Christopher Gilreath

Gilreath & Associates
  • Products Liability, Personal Injury, Antitrust Law...
  • Arkansas, District of Columbia, Tennessee
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
Practice Areas
  • Products Liability
  • Personal Injury
  • Antitrust Law
  • Consumer Law
  • Medical Malpractice
Additional Practice Area
  • Car Accidents
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
    1/3 for most individual personal injury matters; 20% for workers' compensation cases
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
District of Columbia Bar
6th Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Gilreath & Associates
- Current
Chris is a member of Gilreath & Associates, one of the leading plaintiff-exclusive firms in Tennessee. Chris handles serious personal injury cases in the Mid-South and beyond. From the start of his career, Chris has been committed to supporting the civil justice system and has taken a leadership role in that effort. He serves on the Board of Governors for the Tennessee Association for Justice, as well as the American Association for Justice. Through his experience and network of contacts, Chris handles cases on behalf of clients across the country, and he often enters into co-counsel arrangements with referring attorneys. Chris is licensed in Tennessee, Arkansas, and the District of Columbia. He as admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in Tennessee, as well as the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. Chris has also appeared before various other state and federal trial courts. Chris is dedicated to pursuing justice for his clients. His first trial involved representation of a family whose father was killed on a dangerous highway where State workers used woefully inadequate safety procedures when maintaining medians. He has tried cases for wrongful death and serious injury resulting from defective products. Chris actively represents people suffering spinal and occupational exposure injuries through workersâ compensation litigation. He has represented numerous truck drivers and their families in trucking cases ranging from wrongful death, products liability, negligence, and contract cases. Chris also pursues justice for consumers through multi-state class action litigation. His cases range from wage-and-hour litigation, to price fixing, predatory lending, monopolization and unfair competition. Chris is experienced with pursuing both the substantive merits of cases, as well as constructing working teams and coalitions of attorneys in various states throughout the country.
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
Honors: Am Jur Award - Complex Litigation
Rhodes College
B.A. | Political Science
Honors: Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award
Professional Associations
Louisiana Association for Justice
- Current
Tennessee Association for Justice
Board Member
- Current
District of Columbia Bar
- Current
American Association for Justice
- Current
American Association for Justice
- Current
Activities: Active membber of association. Past Chair, New Lawyers' Division; Executive Committee; Elections Committee; Justice List; Chair, Key Person Committee; Vice Chair, Public Education Committee; Past Member - Board of Governors; Leaders Forum
Tennessee Association for Justice
- Current
Activities: Active member of association; Board of Governors, 2000-Present; Past Chair, Young Lawyers Committee; Legislative Committee.
Legal Answers
10 Questions Answered

Q. Can i go to jail for a civil warrant?
A: No. A civil warrant is a court document issued by General Sessions Court in Tennessee. it is the court designated for handling claims up to $25,000 without a jury. The use of the term "warrant" is similar to the term warrant used in criminal cases. However, the effect is very different. In essence, a civil warrant is a complaint, the document that begins a lawsuit. If you do not respond to a civil warrant, the person who issued it can get a court order granting the relief they ask for, so it is important that you not ignore the warrant. However, under no circumstance does a civil warrant give anyone the right or ability to arrest you and send you to jail.
Q. My oven's 5 yrs old; Whirlpool says they can't provide replacemnt pt. Doesn't the law require availability for 7 yrs?
A: In Tennessee, there is no law that requires a manufacturer to provide replacement parts for a product for any length of time. That is considered a matter for the marketplace - meaning if a manufactuer sells a product and then cannot provide parts for it, the market will likely determine that the manufacturer will lose business because fewer people will buy the product. Tennessee does not have much law in the area of consumer protection. What they do have is one comprehensive consumer protection act, which is designed to protect people from deceitful practices. It is not designed to insulate consumers from making bad product choices. It may be possible you can find a part made by another manufacturer that will fix the issue you have with your oven, but I would only recommend that course of action if the part was made to be compatible with your oven.
Q. Does the Claims Commissioner of the State of Tennessee have the right to ask a claimant "Who is preparing legal document
A: The first thing to keep in mind is that the attorney general does not represent you, and are not in a position to give you legal advice. If your mother requests your help, you are certainly within your rights to assist her with understanding and completing legal documents. In Tennessee, a person can serve as a power of attorney, also sometimes called "attorney in fact". The person giving you power of attorney must be considered competent to make their own decisions, for the appointment to be valid. If it is a matter of assisting with signatures alone, then there is a lot of history in the law of people having assistance signing documents. It often happens that family members assist with answering written questions in cases. The point to keep in mind is that they are not empowered to prevent you from assisting your mother. It most likely means they would prefer that you not do that. Since it is not their case, it is not their call. However, to the extent that the claims commissioner gives you a ruling or some direction, it will be to your benefit to follow what the commissioner says, even if that means contacting an attorney to represent you to understand what the commissioner means. The commissioner is the decider of the case, so what the commissioner says and does is important to your case. It is possible that the circumstances under which the state made the comments about assisting your mother were related to certain moments in the case where the court wanted to see what your mother could produce on her own.
Q. I am stuck with workmans comp. due to being hit head-on. They have systematically cut almost all of my Meds off after
A: If the question is how to enforce future medical treatment after a settlement, the answer is first to make the request of the insurance company or employer in your case before seeking treatment. If they will not agree to approve the treatment, the next step is to file a request for assistance with the Department of Labor office in your area. The Tennessee Department of Labor workers' compensation specialist will ask for information about your situation. Have factual information to give the person, and it will make a big difference in the outcome of the request. The Tennessee Department of Labor is empowered to order companies to provide medical treatment. It is also initially required that you go through the Tennessee Department of Labor first, unless your claim was previously filed in a court, in which case you can elect to request assistance from the court who heard your case, or the Tennessee Department of Labor. If you were represented by an attorney in your case, consult with your attorney before taking these actions.
Q. Whats is success rate of request for assistance in TN worker's comp?
A: The real answer to this question depends on the nature of the case. it is not the most efficient way of handling matters, but under present law, it is the system we have to work with. My experience is that Department of Labor specialists generally work hard to try and help when they can. Sometimes it is a matter of the information they have to work with. It does not help that they have too many open files to consider at any one time. In the end, however, if you do not use the request for assistance process, you will likely never get the relief you seek.
Q. How long do I have to file a comploint? It has been very close to one year since I had surgery at LifeStyle Lift.
A: In Tennessee, a lawsuit must be filed within one year of the date you knew or should have known that a medical professional committed harm that resulted in you being injured. In medical malpractice cases, the one year date can often be a date later than the surgery. Instead, look to when you reasonably were provided information allowing you to conclude that a doctor or hospital harmed you. There are also more recent laws in place that require that before you can file a lawsuit, notice must be given to each and every potential defendant you would name in the case. Tennessee has passed laws requiring specific notices and documents to be sent to each potential defendant, and has set out particular methods for their delivery. In general, these notices can be sent as late as one year from the date you are to have known you had an injury. Calculation of these deadlines is case specific, and can be complicated. To get a specific answer to your question, it would be advisable to contact a medical malpractice attorney in your area.
Q. If a physician instucts a patient to transition from one currently prescribed medication
A: Under Tennessee law, doctors are considered the gatekeepers for making good medical decisions about prescribing appropriate medication. To be malpractice, a doctor must act in a way that falls below the generally accepted minimum standards for practice in that area of medicine in that community. The best way to make that determination is to seek treatment with a different doctor, and ask the doctor whether a mistake has been made. In the eyes of the law, almost having an injury is like almost having a case - in order to violate the law, the actions of the doctor must actually cause injury. Based on the conflict that arose between the doctor and the patient, it is not surprising that the doctor elected to stop seeing the patient. Seeking appropriate medical treatment with other professionals will greatly assist with determining whether any medical standard was violated. Unfortunately, laws in place provide that bad medicine does not always equate to malpractice.
Q. Does the PI atty take out all the med pymts, such as chiropractic trmt and Dr bills AND then what is left take his 1/3?
A: In Tennessee, most attorneys who work on a contingency fee agreement calculate their fee based on the total recovery from the case, not the net after expenses or bills are taken out. The specific way in which an attorney in your case will operate is based on your agreement with that attorney. You should contact your attorney and consult with him/her to confirm any proposed net from a case settlement or verdict. Normally, you would take the full case recovery, then subtract attorney's fees, case costs, and then any amounts owed for doctor's bills, health insurance, and other similar costs, with the balance resulting in the net to the client.
Q. Can i add court costs into a civil lawsuit
A: The short answer is yes. Tennessee law provides that certain costs are paid by the responsible party in some cases. Generally, it is the custom of attorneys in Tennessee that the party deemed responsible for causing the harm will normally pay the court costs. The law also allows you to include coverage for court costs within your claim for damage, although it is usually very small in comparison to your other damages. There are other costs, called discretionary costs, which may be awarded, in the discretion of the trial judge after a case is over.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Gilreath & Associates
200 Jefferson Ave
Suite 711
Memphis, TN 38103
Telephone: (901) 527-0511
Fax: (901) 527-0514