Carrie T. Schilling

Carrie T. Schilling

  • Estate Planning, Appeals & Appellate, Family Law
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

The Law Office of Carrie T. Schilling can guide you help you prepare for your family's future; from a simple will to a full estate package. She is also ready to represent you in cases involving civil appeals and family law. She provides affordable representation without compromising quality. If you are facing a legal problem and are in need representation, don’t delay. Waiting to seek legal advice frequently exacerbates the complexity and cost of the issue.

Ms. Schilling graduated from Texas A&M at Galveston in 1999 and received a Juris Doctorate from California Western School of Law in 2007. She is licensed to practice law in California and Texas and has been practicing law in North Texas for over a decade.

Why Choose the Law Office of Carrie T. Schilling? She offers:
Competitive prices

Practice Areas
  • Estate Planning
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Family Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Texas
ID Number: 24063032
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Managing Attorney
The Law Office of Carrie T. Schilling
California Western School of Law
J.D. (2007)
Honors: Cum Laude
Activities: Law Review, Moot Court
California Western School of Law Logo
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. Wife’s mother is legal guardian of child. If husband files for divorce do he need to declare that a child is involved?
A: Child support is determined based on the best interest of the child. If the grandmother is the legal guardian or a conservator of the child, then there should already be an order affecting the parent child relationship. This order may include an order regarding child support. The divorce may or may not result in a modification to that existing order, including the child support. However, it is unlikely that support would be back-dated 7 years if that did not occur when the court issued the existing order giving grandmother guardianship or conservatorship.
Q. If I have children from another man can I still file with divorce with no children forms?
A: The short answer is maybe. Is the other man legally the father because they were born during your marriage to him or is there already an order affecting the parent-child relationship with that other man? If you want to file for divorce pro se (without a lawyer), you can try calling or emailing the court clerk for the jurisdiction you are in. Different courts may have different forms and the clerk may be able to point you in the right direction. Alternatively, you may be able to hire a lawyer for a limited scope of representation and you would just pay them to get the right paperwork filed for your situation.
Q. If I got a letter from the attorney general telling me I had to go to court how do I reschedule?
A: There should be a phone number of who to call on the citation. If you have not missed your court date yet, you can call the attorney general's office or the court clerk and ask if you can get the date re-set. If you've already missed your court date your options may be limited depending on how long its been and whether you can prove that notice was deficient. You may be able to appeal or ask for a new trial on the basis that you did not receive notice. If you've missed the deadline to do either, you may be able to file a bill of review to ask the court to overturn the decision on the basis you did not get notice. You also may be able to start over and file a request to modify. Whether you are entitled to modification depends on the facts.
Q. Grandma suing my mom on behalf of my deceased step grandpa.
A: If your grandpa gave your mom permission to access and use the funds in his account while he had full mental capacity to do so, it is unlikely that fraud could be established in a civil case and even less likely in a criminal case. However, it depends greatly on the facts specific to the situation.
Q. My dad wants 2 sell me his home below FMV, & continue 2 live with us. Tax implications? Any better options?
A: Better options are a Transfer on Death Deed (TODD) or a Lady Bird Deed at designate you as the beneficiary. In both of these options, the home would stay in his name until his death at which point it would automatically transfer to you.
Q. We have been together for over 20 years. We have referred to eachother as "wife" and "husband" but we haven't had a
A: Based on those facts, you are most likely common-law married and need a divorce if you no longer want to be married. Depending on the specifics, you may be able to show that the house is community property or you are entitled to some of the equity. You can call the police if feel you are in imminent danger. Even if not, you can call the court clerk or the district attorney's office and ask to file a request for a protective order to keep him away from you and the dog. You should reach out to a domestic violence center in your area. You can also call the local bar organization or the Texas State Bar and find out if you qualify for pro bono (free) legal services. Good luck and stay safe.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
The Law Office of Carrie T. Schilling
Suite 92955
300 State Street
Southlake, TX 76092
Telephone: (817) 941-8466