Free Consultation: (616) 965-6864Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder
  • Appeals & Appellate, Criminal Law, Estate Planning ...
  • Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Brent Geers specializes in helping people empower those they trust and provide for those they love. Brent has been an attorney since 2012, working with individuals and families to marshal their time, talent, and treasurer for the benefit of their children, family, and community. He is a Grand Rapids Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” honoree, and currently operates his own practice, Geers Law. Brent is married to an educator, who employs his services as a chaperon for various school functions. He is also his daughter’s father – a girl who will become a president, not a princess.

Practice Areas
    Appeals & Appellate
    Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
    Elder Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations are available by phone only. I apply all other consultation fees toward subsequent fees for legal services.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    All major credit cards.
  • Contingent Fees
    Blended contingency fee involves a reduced hourly fee and approximately 15% of the judgment amount.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    A reduced rate schedule is available to veterans with demonstrated income below 400% of the federal poverty line. A discount is always available to K-12 teachers and support staff, law enforcement personnel, and veterans whose income exceeds 400% of the federal poverty line.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Adjunct Professor
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
- Current
Adjunct professor of estate planning.
Counselor & Attorney
Geers Law, PLC
- Current
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
J.D. (2012) | Legal Education
Honors: Deans List
Activities: Cooley Veterans Club
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School Logo
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
B.A. (2001) | American Culture
Activities: Resident Advisor
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Michigan  # P75904
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Criminal Law Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Life Essentials Workshop, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Urban Core Collective
Accredited Attorney
Veterans Affairs
Websites & Blogs
Geers Law
Legal Answers
1858 Questions Answered
Q. My gf's parents claimed her as special needs dependent and she doesnt want to be claimed. How does she get out of it?
A: How old is your girlfriend? I'm not sure one issue has much to do with the other; one's a tax issue and the other is a relationship issue.
Q. Court tomorrow for domestic violence NEED ADVICE
A: While this answer may be a little late for you, it's worth answering for anyone else in a similar situation. The decision to go to trial is yours alone, and should be based on the strengths and weaknesses of your case and explained by your lawyer. It's foolish to go to trial because "she will not show up" alone, because even if true, there are ways for the prosecutor to get statements in without the "victim" that could lead to your conviction. It's also equally foolish to take a plea deal just because the "victim" will show up or you're not sure. A lot depends on what the plea deal is, what your record is, any defenses you might have, etc.
Q. My daughter is 12 she’ll be 13 in three months She don’t want to go to her dad house so I have to make her go
A: You are doing the right thing by filing the motion. Perhaps there is something negative going on that your daughter is afraid of disclosing. Still, your duty is to comply with the parenting time order and continue facilitating her relationship with her father. Typically in these situations with a child her age, a judge will conduct an "in camera" interview with the child to see more what's going on from the child's perspective. You do not what that interview to reveal any implication that you had something to do with your daughter's thoughts on her father.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Downtown Grand Rapids
15 Ionia Ave SW STE 530
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Telephone: (616) 965-6864
Fax: (616) 536-8408