Free Consultation: (256) 539-3110Tap to Call This Lawyer
William Vann Burkett

William Vann Burkett

Hodges Trial Lawyers P.C.
  • Real Estate Law, Personal Injury, Business Law ...
  • Alabama
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

I was born in Huntsville, Alabama and grew up working in and around my parents’ local small business. I graduated from Randolph School (13’) where I was a member of the inaugural football team. I also played on the golf team and trumpet in the school band. After graduation, I attended Auburn University. I graduated cum laude in 2017 with a Batchelor of Science degree in Business Administration.

From there, I attended Cumberland School of Law in Birmingham, Alabama. During my time at Cumberland, I served as a Junior Editor for the Cumberland Law Review and on the board as the Online Research Editor. I authored an article on Alabama property law and eminent domain titled: “Southern Takings: Alabama Eminent Domain, Inverse Condemnation, and Regulatory Takings” 50 Cumb. L. Rev. 211 (2020). I received seven best paper awards including: Contracts I & II, Constitutional Law I, Property, State Constitutional Law, State and Local Taxation, and Advanced Evidence. I was also fortunate to serve on the Honor Court and as an Academic Support Mentor. At Cumberland, I had the opportunity to study under one Federal Circuit Judge, two Federal Magistrate Judges, and a Municipal Court Judge. I graduated magna cum laude from Cumberland School of Law in 2020.

My wife Alessandra and I were happy to return to Huntsville after I finished law school. We have made our home here and she is working in outside sales for United Rentals, Inc.

I handle personal injury, property, and civil litigation matters. Whether it is a contract, injury case, or real estate dispute; Hodges Trial Lawyers is prepared to guide you through the legal process. I enjoy hearing the life stories of our diverse clients and working hard to achieve their objectives. Being raised around a small business, I understand what it takes to get the job done.

When not practicing law, I enjoy spending time outdoors, working on my old Jeep, and playing golf

Practice Areas
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Business Law
    Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
    Construction Law
    Construction Contracts, Construction Defects, Construction Liens, Construction Litigation
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    Please call for details. Fees are determined on a case-by-case basis.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Alabama State Bar Association
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Hodges Trial Lawyers P.C.
- Current
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
J.D. (2020) | Law
Publications: “Southern Takings: Alabama Eminent Domain, Inverse Condemnation, and Regulatory Takings” 50 Cumb. L. Rev. 211 (2020).
Honors: Graduated magna cum laude Best paper awards: Contracts I & II, Constitutional Law I, Property, State Constitutional Law, State and Local Taxation, and Advanced Evidence.
Activities: Law Review Executive Board Member Treasurer of Christian Legal Society
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University Logo
Auburn University
B.S. (2017) | Business Administration
Honors: Cum Laude
Auburn University Logo
Professional Associations
Alabama State Bar  # 3010F63Y
- Current
Activities: Practicing Attorney seeking justice for each and every client.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Association for Justice
- Current
Activities: Dedicated member seeking justice of his clients.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Evaluating Sale for Division Cases, Hodges Trial Lawyers, P.C. Toy Drive CLE, Athens-Limestone Public Library
Websites & Blogs
Firm Website
Legal Answers
16 Questions Answered
Q. Who is responsible for my property damage caused from high velocity storm water from the alabama state highway drain pip
A: It is possible that you have a claim against the state for what is called inverse condemnation. The state is generally not permitted to take or destroy private property without going through a formal condemnation procedure. However, the law is very technical as to what is considered a regulatory taking and what is considered a wrongful or inverse condemnation. Unfortunately, Alabama law likely does not allow for a recovery if the damage to your property is considered a regulatory taking. You may be able to recover against the state if the damage is due to an inverse condemnation. You should contact an attorney who handles real estate litigation or condemnation cases.
Q. Unmarried couple on mortgage, now splitting. How to handle who gets house, buyout, or sell?
A: You should contact a real estate attorney who handles partition or sale for division cases. If you are a co-owner of the house you may have a claim for partition. Such claims may be used to divide the equity in real property if the co-owner parties cannot reach an agreement to resolve their dispute. The process usually begins by one owner filing a lawsuit against the other owners so you will likely need to contact an attorney who is knowledgeable about partition claims.
Q. I purchased a house and have found extensive water damage.
A: You should contact an attorney who handles fraud and breach of contract claims. You may have a claim against the prior owners, home inspector, or contractor who repaired the wall. Because such claims are very fact specific, it is unclear whether you have a valid claim. You should contact an attorney for a consultation and evaluation.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Hodges Trial Lawyers, P.C.
320 Clinton Avenue East
Huntsville, AL 35801
Telephone: (256) 539-3110