Free Consultation: (201) 655-6400Tap to Call This Lawyer
William N. Sosis

William N. Sosis

Sosis Law, LLC, 151 West Passaic St., Rochelle Park, NJ, 07662 (201) 655-6400
  • Family Law, Consumer Law, Appeals & Appellate...
  • New Jersey, New Jersey
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

I am an experienced attorney licensed in the state of New Jersey and practicing family and consumer law. My practice includes all matters relating to divorce, separation, domestic violence, child custody, child support, alimony, and emancipation. I also have experience winning consumer cases and am a strong consumer advocate. I have successfully appeared before the Family part, Special Civil and the New Jersey Appellate Division. I provide a professional, caring and cost-conscious environment where you can feel comfortable and confident trusting us to handle your legal concerns. I am confident that I can help where others may have failed!

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Consumer Law
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Communications & Internet Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Elder Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New Jersey
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken
Professional Experience
Vice Chair
Administrative Law Section, NJSBA
Internet / Computer Law Committee
Bergen County Bar Association
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School Logo
New Jersey Institute of Technology
New Jersey Institute of Technology Logo
Montclair State University
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
New Jersey State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Bergen County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hispanic Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Civil Liberties Union
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Your Do-it-Yourself Guide to Legal Investigations
Speaking Engagements
Cyber Security - Best Practices for Law Firms
Bergen County Bar Association
Your Do-it-Yourself Guide to Legal Investigations
National Business Institute
Internet law updates: privacy, net neutrality, free speech/bullying and law firm security
Bergen County Bar Association
Mobile Device Discovery: Getting What You Want and Using What You Get
Bergen County Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
151 Questions Answered

Q. If im from argentina and live in Argentina but got married in las vegas where should i get divorced????
A: Probably Argentina. But since I'm not familiar with Argentina, be wary that International divorce laws vary. Even within the US, divorce laws can vary between states. You should also consider any jurisdictional issues that may be brought up by your spouse.
Q. Hi my ex wife put a restraining order out on me she lied on the paperwork what can i do
A: This is very serious. You only have 10 days before a final restraining order hearing. This gives you incredibly little time. If there's still time left (2-3 days) there's fortunately a legal technique that a knowledgeable attorney can use that gets you more time to defend yourself against any false allegations. But you must quickly contact an attorney who has experience with this. Having a final restraining order entered against you is very ugly. They stay with you until you get them vacated (can be many years), they carry lots of collateral consequences, and, if you have children, you can even lose some of your parental rights.
Q. What can happen to a wife if she purchased house items with her husbands credit info without asking
A: I think your question is more suitable for posting in the Family Law section. Regardless, I think what can happen mostly depends on how much you spent, whether you used a joint credit card, the trust and quality of your marriage, and how your husband feels about it when he finds out. You might otherwise want to contact an attorney for a no-cost consultation.
Q. I am a Notary in NJ. Am I allowed to be a witness on a document I am notarizing?
A: No. Notaries can't notarize their own signature. You might also want to read this:
Q. can a conditional dismissal be appealed?
A: Appeals from trial court decisions are 'as of right', so most likely yes. But a reliable answer requires that you first speak with an attorney. An attorney will evaluate the specific facts of your case before providing you with the best answer. However, the courts use strict rules and timetables so if you want to appeal act fast and contact an attorney for a no-cost consultation.
Q. I want to know when the statute of limitations runs out for me to file a NJ Consumer Fraud suit against a roofing co.
A: Consumer-fraud claims (CFA) in New Jersey are subject to the six-year statute of limitations (SOL), N.J.S. 2A:14-1. New Jersey has an excellent law protecting consumers. It allows for triple damages and also pays the attorney fees. Despite the six-year SOL, there are several reasons you shouldn't wait. Contact an attorney who handles CFA claims. And don't pay for a consultation either. Find a CFA attorney who will give you a no-cost consultation.
Q. Do I have legal claim to goods that were delivered even though I cancelled them?
A: If you canceled your order and received a full refund why would you think you're entitled to keep the item? Just imagine if everyone did that. How do you think Amazon and its vendors would revise their return/refund policies? If current online purchasing policies are designed to encourage confidence in buyers, why would you want to destroy the sellers' trust? You should preserve the protections you have from your own indecisiveness or bad decisions. Don't create unnecessary problems for yourself and others; return the item expected.
Q. Is there an age when a child can decide to no longer have overnight visits with their dad.
A: That's a touchy question. First, New Jersey courts have long-settled the question of non-custodial parents having girlfriends (or boyfriends). Generally, divorce or dissolution doesn't preclude people from moving on with their lives. The touchy part is determining what's actually happening in terms of facts. If you're looking to change custody or parenting time based on things like the sleeping arrangements or the child's preference, you'll need to convince the court that a change is really in the child's best interest and not some pretext based on other non-relevant considerations. For parents with separate living residences, New Jersey has different requirements that are based on the ages and sex of the children and their individual needs. New Jersey also has no "specific age" at which a child's preference will be considered by a court. Instead, the courts will determine whether a child is of "sufficient age and capacity to reason so as to form an intelligent preference as to custody." But these are all part of a fact-sensitive analysis a court will make. You should definitely contact a family law attorney. Find one that offers a free consultation to help you decide what's best in your case.
Q. I have sole legal and residential custody of my child.
A: You need to get a restraining order against him. Do it immediately and don't wait. There are 24-hour hotlines available or contact a family law attorney if you need help.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
151 West Passaic Street
151 West Passaic Street
Rochelle Park, NJ 07662
Telephone: (201) 655-6400
Fax: (201) 781-7855