Free Consultation: (773) 405-2632Tap to Call This Lawyer
William Harold Mazur

William Harold Mazur

Founder at William Mazur, Attorney at Law
  • Landlord Tenant, Family Law, Personal Injury...
  • Illinois, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Bill is an Illinois and New York licensed attorney operating a general law practice in Chicago. He represent clients throughout the Chicagoland area on matters ranging from tenant evictions and judgment collections, to divorces and much more. Having grown up on the South Side of Chicago, Bill understands the value and importance of high quality service at a reasonable price. His main goal is to carry that mantra into his law practice and provide excellent and effective representation at an affordable price. By operating a virtual law office, he has been able to operate a more mobile practice and cut down on overhead costs. Those savings are passed on to his clients in the form of typically lower hourly rates and numerous flat-fee services. When he is not practicing law, Bill enjoys binge-watching tv with his amazing wife, Chelsea, and their dog, Oilver, or perfecting the fine art of slow-smoked barbecue from a condominium balcony. All clients are entitled to a free 30-minute consultation. Visit today or contact him directly to schedule yours.

Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Family Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Estate Planning
  • Collections
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Free Consultation
    Free 30-minute in-person or telephone consultations are offered to all new clients. Any time beyond that will be billed at my hourly rate.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Clients are responsible for the small service charge when using a credit card. Inquire for details.
  • Contingent Fees
    Contingent fee arrangements are accepted on a case-by-case basis. Inquire during your consultation for details.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    My hourly rate ranges from $175 - $250 per hour. The specific rate is negotiated on a case by case basis and largely depends on the complexity of the legal service needed. I also offer several flat-rate services, many of which are related to document drafting or review. Please visit my website at for more details.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founder & Attorney
William Mazur, Attorney at Law
- Current
Research Fellow
Disability Rights Legal Center
Law Clerk
Law Offices of Cynthia A. de Petris
Law Clerk
Law and Mediation Offices of Garrison Klueck
Law Clerk
The Alliance for Children's Rights
Research Assistant
Banner & Witcoff, LTD
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
J.D. (2010) | Law
Honors: First Honors Award for Highest Grade in Property II: Estates and Future Interests
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles Logo
Loyola University Chicago
B.A. (2010) | Political Science
Honors: Cum Laude
Loyola University Chicago Logo
Loyola University Chicago
B.S. (2010) | Criminal Justice
Honors: Cum Laude
Loyola University Chicago Logo
Professional Associations
Illinois State Bar, Young Lawyers Division
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Illinois # 6304903
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
The Chicago Eviction Process
Expungements in Illinois: Frequently Asked Questions
40 Hours Divorce Mediation Training
Northwestern University School of Continuing Studies
Websites & Blogs
Website for William Mazur, Attorney at Law
Legal Answers
16 Questions Answered

Q. I need a subcontractor agreement. Do I need a business lawyer or can I just do one myself with the help of a template?
A: You are certainly within your rights to try and draft the agreement you need yourself, but I would strongly caution you to use an attorney. Online templates, even the ones that you pay for, are written in a way to apply to as many situations as possible. Using one is very risky in the event there is a dispute between you and your subcontractor. On the other hand, using an attorney will help you craft a better contract that's more specifically-tailored to your situation and needs. It will be more protective of you in the event of a dispute and won't include language that can unnecessarily bind you to things that aren't in your interest. Best of luck.
Q. My window was broken into and my landlord will not replace the window. Is this illegal?
A: While I wouldn't deem it illegal per se, it is generally your landlord's responsibility to make such repairs. Give your landlord notice in writing of the broken window and your need to have it fixed. Mail it via certified mail with return receipt requested. Then, if the landlord doesn't repair it within 14 days, consult with a local landlord tenant attorney who can advise you of your legal options at that point. Depending on where the apartment is, you might have the right to repair the window yourself and deduct the cost from your rent, but as I said, consult with an attorney before doing anything yourself. Best of luck.
Q. if a credit company says closed account and the debt is written off, can they turn it over to a collection agency?
A: Generally, Yes. It sounds as though either or both of the collection agencies have purchased the debt from the company. If that is the case, then the collections agencies can seek to collect the debt from you. It is probably a good idea to consult with a local collections or consumer debt attorney to discuss the particulars of your situation and assist you in case the collections companies violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. A good place to start is by clicking the "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of the page. Best of luck.
Q. I live in illinois and was wondering if I could sue him for back child support
A: Your question is incomplete, but if the father of your child was ordered by a court to pay child support and has fallen behind in payments, then Yes you can sue him for the back support plus statutory interest on the payments in arrears. If there has never been a court order concerning support, you should begin court proceeding as soon as possible to get one put in place. A judge may or may not order some back support when putting a new order in place. Lastly, this is not something you should attempt to do on your own. Get in touch with some local family law attorneys and find one that is the right fit for you. He/she will help you navigate the legal process smoothly and make sure the proper orders are put in place. Best of luck to you.
Q. See more information below
A: Is this arrangement memorialized in a written lease/agreement? If not, it would be a good idea going forward to have the terms of your agreement in writing. Absent a written agreement, much of the answer to your question depends on where the property is located, since several municipalities impose regulations that go above and beyond the Illinois laws concerning landlord/tenant relationships. Basically, however, your landlord has the right to raise the rent so long as it is not in violation to the terms of a written lease or agreement, and proper notice is given before it takes effect. How much notice is proper again depends on the location. From a non-legal perspective, however, since your landlord is your wife's daughter, you might want to do whatever it takes to avoid an awkward situation or subsequent legal action. Perhaps your wife can help you work out an agreement for the two months in question. After all, the cost of child care most likely exceeds whatever the equivalent of half a month's rent is, so your wife is arguably saving her daughter a lot of money throughout the year (not to mention potential stress/concern of having strangers take care of her children). Best of luck to you.
Q. If an 18 yr old fights a 15 yr old & while fighting her starts strangling her, & post a video online, is it battery?
A: This incident should likely have been brought to the police's attention immediately after it happened. By now, the 15 year old may no longer have physical signs of the damage done to her. You can always still file a police report and identify the perpetrator, but then it will be up to the police and the state's attorney what to charge her with (if anything). Obviously, it will be helpful if you can locate and get a copy of the video. Best of luck.
Q. Is dating my nephews ex-fiance legal?
A: No it is not considered incest or illegal, although from a familial relationship standpoint, you might not want to date your nephew's ex-fiancé.
Q. If my kids an the mother of my child are staying with me,without her name being on the lease do I have to pay cs..
A: If you have a current order to pay child support, then the answer is Yes until you have it modified. Child support is generally imposed according to a statutory percentage of the non-custodial parent's net income according to the number of children, but judges can deviate from the statutory guidelines if the circumstances make it inappropriate to follow them. I would suggest that you consult with a local family law attorney to discuss the particulars of your situation and potentially pursue a modification in court. Best of luck to you.
Q. If I missed my second court date for no insurance will I lose court supervision?
A: It's possible that the judge will revoke the supervision and issue a stricter punishment. You should never miss a court date whether it is criminal or civil. The best thing you can do now is to show up at the next hearing and explain how you mixed up the times. Having an attorney represent you would be advisable as well. And make sure you have your proof of insurance. It would be good if you could show that you obtained insurance very shortly after the first hearing so it looks like you complied with the judge's order. Best of luck.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
1829 N. Fairfield Ave. #1S
Chicago, IL 60647
Cell: (773) 405-2632
Fax: (773) 649-4340