Free Consultation: (410) 494-6585Tap to Call This Lawyer
Timothy Fizer

Timothy Fizer

"Better Representation" Visit
  • Insurance Claims, Personal Injury, Products Liability
  • District of Columbia, Maryland
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

For almost 30 years, I either worked for an insurance company and defended claims brought against them and their insureds, or practiced with law firms that represented them. Now I take that experience and assist those who have been injured or damaged, in order to help them receive the compensation they should.

Practice Areas
  • Insurance Claims
  • Personal Injury
  • Products Liability
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    In addition to contingency fee cases, I do accept hourly clients: rates $300-$450/hr.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
District of Columbia Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
4th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
D.C. Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Fizer LLC
- Current
Chief Trial Attorney
Zurich American Insurance Company
Senior Trial Attorney
Fireman's Fund Insurance Company
American University Washington College of Law
American University Washington College of Law Logo
Rutgers University - New Brunswick/Piscataway
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Maryland Association for Justice
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Maryland State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
District of Columbia Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
10 Questions Answered

Q. Is my insurer required to hire outside counsel to defend me against a lawsuit?
A: If by "outside counsel," you mean someone other than staff counsel for that insurance company, the answer likely is "no." There are circumstances that could exist that would require them to provide other counsel, but your question does not have enough detail to tell.
Q. How do I file a bad faith claim against an insurance company?
A: There are different bases for bad faith, whether first party or third party. There also are two different approaches. One is under Title 27 of the Insurance Code - Unfair Trade Practices and Other Prohibited Practices. The other is under ยง 3-1701 of the Courts & Judicial Proceedings Article, titled "Actions Against Insurance Providers to Determine Coverage." If you have a significant amount involved, it would serve you best to hire counsel to assist in addressing this properly.
Q. I got into a car accident with someone who lives in Virginia. They want the court proceedings to take place there but
A: If they filed suit against you in Virginia, and you yourself neither live not work there, they cannot force you to come to Virginia to defend the case. If you have insurance, and you have been sued, your insurance company will provide counsel to represent you, and will address such issues. Your question as it is phrased, however,does not provide enough information to be able to give you a reliable answer.
Q. I was hit in the District, but live in Virginia -- which laws apply?
A: In addition to Mr. Meisrow's answer, I would note that if this involves uninsured motorist coverage, Virginia law may apply to that contract action.
Q. Is a cyclist totally at fault if they didn't stop at a stop sign so when I went through I hit him?
A: You have not provided sufficient details about the accident to prompt a reliable answer. There is no doubt, however, that you should report the incident to your insurance company, in the event the bicyclist decides to make a claim against you for any injuries he sustained.
Q. Another driver hit me while he wasn't wearing his prescription eye glasses. Can I sue him for extra money?
A: I do not know what you mean by "extra money." If you are asking whether you can get more because he was not wearing his prescription glasses, the answer likely is "no;" you are entitled to fair compensation for your injuries, if any. You are not entitled to an additional amount to punish the driver for forgetting to wear his glasses.
Q. Who's going to be responsible for the court and attorney costs in my business dispute?
A: You have not provided sufficient details to be able to provide a reliable response. If this dispute arose out a contractual relationship, the contract may provide an answer, or at least guidance. If you are represented, this question is best directed to your own lawyer, who should explain this to you.
Q. Can I sue a private college for refusing to accept my straight-A student son?
A: You have not provided sufficient details to be able to obtain a reliable answer. The likely answer, however, is "no" All colleges use multiple criteria for accepting students, and grades are only part of the equation.
Q. Can I sue the city for failing to prevent car break-ins?
A: The likely answer to your question is no, although you have not provided sufficient details to elicit a more specific answer.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Ste 300 100 West Rd
Baltimore, MD 21204
Telephone: (410) 494-6585