Free Consultation: (850) 502-9724Tap to Call This Lawyer
Terrence H Thorgaard

Terrence H Thorgaard

  • Bankruptcy, Business Law, Estate Planning...
  • Alaska, Florida
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I was born and raised in Fairbanks, Alaska, where I practiced law from 1977. I was a municipal attorney for the first part of my legal career, and then switched to private practice. I conducted a general private law practice, with emphasis in civil litigation and bankruptcy. I also taught several college-level courses relating to various aspects of the law. In 2004, my family and I moved to Florida and have been here ever since. From 2011 to 2015 I worked for another lawyer in Walton County, assisting him in his office, especially with scheduling of attendance at real estate foreclosure hearings in behalf of secured creditors. I was admitted to the Florida bar in 2016.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Business Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Municipal Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Probate
  • Tax Law
Additional Practice Areas
  • General Civil
  • Aviation Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Court of Claims
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District (& Bankruptcy) Court - Northern District of Florida
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District (& Bankruptcy) Court, District of Alaska
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Tax Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • French: Spoken, Written
  • German: Spoken, Written
University of Alaska - Fairbanks
B.A. (1973) | History
University of Alaska - Fairbanks Logo
University of Puget Sound
Placeholder image for education.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
4875 Questions Answered

Q. who Is responsible for replacing the roof in a life estate If the house cannot be insured until it is replaced?
A: Neither the life tenant nor the remainderman has a duty to insure the house. If, however, the house is damaged due to the negligence of the life tenant, he or she would be liable to the remainderman for the damage.
Q. Our landlord had our neighbor give us a 3 day notice for eviction Oct 9. His address nor phone number is not on it
A: Florida Statute 83.56 provides in pertinent part that: "... The 3-day notice shall contain a statement in substantially the following form: You are hereby notified that you are indebted to me in the sum of dollars for the rent and use of the premises (address of leased premises, including county) , Florida, now occupied by you and that I demand payment of the rent or possession of the premises within 3 days (excluding Saturday, Sunday, and legal holidays) from the date of delivery of this notice, to wit: on or before the day of , (year) . (landlord’s name, address and phone number) ." If the notice is missing the address and phone number, it fails to comply with the quoted provision. However depending on the circumstances (whether, for example, you already know how to contact the landlord), the court may find that the deficiency is not critical.
Q. Is it possible to depose parties without suing them? I heard about deposition before action.
A: The rule to which Mr. Baron refers can be found here:
Q. I was married for 14 years with a military man, I allowed to have part of his retirement?
A: You probably need to seek a modification of the DR divorce decree. For that you will need to consult an attorney in the Dominican Republic.
Q. woman, is refusing to open the door to the sheriff to be served
A: What does the deputy say? How does he or she know that the woman is at home? Assuming you are the plaintiff, get the sheriff to file a return of service explaining in detail what occurred. Then, when it's time, ask for a judicial default.
Q. Can evidence take from one case be used in another case. Even though the two cases are irrelevant too each other.
A: It depends on whether they properly seized and searched the phone. If so, they can use the evidence in any other cases.
Q. Can I sue a toy company for making anatomically correct gender dolls and not warning me
A: And how were you damaged by this?
Q. If I have an open case is my lawyer supposed to inform me of any new warrants?
A: No, new records are not a matter of public record, and your lawyer can't reasonably be expect to check daily in any event.
Q. How to stop subrogation
A: When you indicate that you were "using [your] company's insurance", I assume you mean you were covered by a policy issued by your insurance company. Unless they can prove you weren't covered, your insurance carrier also has a duty to pay your attorney.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
51 Cross Creek Circle
Freeeport, FL 32439
Cell: (850) 502-9724