Free Consultation: (847) 984-0638Tap to Call This Lawyer
Swati S. Desai

Swati S. Desai

Law Office of Swati S. Desai
  • Landlord Tenant, Divorce, Business Law...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Divorce
  • Business Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
    15 minute free consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Immigration Writer
- Current
Law Office of Swati S. Desai
- Current
U.S. Small Business Administration
The John Marshall Law School
LL.M. (2010) | Taxation
Honors: IRS Externship
Activities: Teaching Assistant
The John Marshall Law School Logo
Syracuse University College of Law
J.D. (2005) | Law
Honors: Director, Moot Court Honor Society Footnotes Editor, Syracuse Journal of International Law and Commerce
Activities: First Place, Fasken Martineau International Moot Court Competition
Syracuse University College of Law Logo
Syracuse University
M.A. (2005) | Journalism
Honors: Capstone Reporter, Utica Observer-Dispatch
Syracuse University Logo
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
B.A. (2001) | Finance
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Illinois # 6288110
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Predictive Coding Portends Change in Discovery Practice
Litigation News
Prison Is Not a Custodial Environment for Miranda Purposes
Litigation News
Circuits Split on Materiality in Securities Class Actions
Litigation News
Federal Circuit Cracks Down on Non-Practicing Entities
Litigation News
Federal Rule Amendments Coming on December 1
Litigation News
Speaking Engagements
Residential Evictions CLE Presenter
Apex CLE
CLE Presenter
Websites & Blogs
Law Office of Swati S. Desai
Legal Answers
16 Questions Answered

Q. Does my landlord have to answer my questions pertaining to our agreement?
A: You would be better served by taking your questions to an attorney, who is obligated to answer questions in your best interest, rather than asking a landlord who does not wish to provide answers.
Q. I rented 2-br appartment by myself and now would like to add 1 roommate, but my landlord does not want to hear about it
A: Whether you can do it or not depends on the language in your lease. Take it to an attorney for a professional review.
Q. Are Emails and text exchange allowable as evidence in small claims court.
A: Yes, emails (and text messages) are allowed as evidence in small claims court.
Q. I have an eviction judgment dated back to 2014. I just found out. How long can the case earn interest and how much?
A: You should see an attorney. The judgment is probably adversely affecting your credit score. You will want to get it removed and get credit for the security deposit your landlord kept.
Q. Can my rental company push a new move out policy, after i signed the my rental agreement?
A: This depends on the language in your lease. Take it with you when you go see an attorney.
Q. If my roommate didn't pay rent for 3 months is the burden of proof on him or I court?
A: Bring the lease and roommate agreement to an attorney. A lot depends on the language in those documents.
Q. can a landlord charge me 600 to replace a fridge. it still work but a burn mark was inside fridge plastic
A: Depends on the lease and whether you damaged the fridge.
Q. Is there another alternative to having an attorney in an eviction case if I am not the property owner? POA?
A: You should probably try to hire an attorney ASAP and bring the case information with you.
Q. Landlord delays repairs, which end up costing me money. Any recourse when repair/deduct clause doesn't apply?
A: You need to see an attorney. Keep all proof of the repair situation at your property (letters, pictures, emails, texts), and bring that to the lawyer along with a copy of the lease. If you do not have hot water, heat or plumbing, you can contact the health department and file a complaint. These are essential services that must be fixed in 24 hours.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
250 Parkway Drive
250 Parkway Drive
Suite 150, MC-2
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
Telephone: (847) 984-0638