Free Consultation: (916) 925-1249Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Susan G. Cohen

Finding Solutions for Familes That Work
  • Family Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence...
  • California, California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law

Susan Cohen graduated from the University of California at Davis School of Law and she holds a Juris Doctor Degree from Martin Luther King, Jr. School of Law at the University of California at Davis.. She is located in Sacramento County. She also accepts cases in the San Francisco Bay Area. Her practice experience includes Family Law, including Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support, Spousal Support and Property Division. She accepts Domestic Violence, and Civil Harassment cases. She also practices in the area of Employment Law, including Discrimination on account of race, sex, sexual harassment, racial harassment, race discrimination, age discrimination, disability discrimination, religious discrimination, and wages and hours claims. She can help you seek accommodation of your religious beliefs in the workplace, or accommodation of your disability at work. She also handles workplace safety cases, including both Federal OSHA and CalOSHA Workplace Safety Violations. She holds received an M.A. Degree from Stanford University in Renaissance and Reformation History. She graduated Cum Laude with Honors in History from Brandeis University.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Employment Law
  • White Collar Crime
  • Business Law
  • Tax Law
  • Criminal Law
  • Free Consultation
    First Half Hour of your Family Law Intake Interview is Free.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover card.
  • Contingent Fees
    In Discrimination and some other employment law matters. Review of severance package and termination agreements is usually either on an hourly or Flat Fee Basis, depending on the facts of your case. Susan Cohen also accepts wages and hours matters, including unpaid wages, denial of Rest Breaks and Lunchbreaks, unpaid overtime and required higher overtime hourly rates. Family Law Court Rules usually prohibit contingent fees in Family Law cases and Criminal Defense cases.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Attorneys are generally not allowed to accept most Family Law cases on a contingent fee basis. But many employment discrimination and other employment cases can be accepted on a contingent fee basis.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
State Bar of California
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • French: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Sacramento County Bar Association Member
Admitted to U.S. Tax Court
Admitted in U.S. District Court for Northern California
Admitted in U.S. District Court for Eastern California
University of California, Davis, School of Law
J.D. (1984) | Law
University of California, Davis, School of Law Logo
Stanford University
M.A. (1970) | Renaissance and Reformation History, Early Modern European History.
Honors: Honorary Woodrow Wilson Fellow, 1968' University Fellowships from Stanford, Aauw Fellowship
Activities: Secretary, Graduate Students in History Association
Stanford University Logo
Brandeis University
B.A. (1968) | History
Honors: Cum Laude with Honors in History
Activities: Student Newspaper -The Justice
Brandeis University Logo
Honorary Woodrow Wilson Fellow
Woodrow Wilson Foundation
Professional Associations
State Bar of California # 114775
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Sacramento County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
24 Questions Answered

Q. Does it mean she can travel to outside the country with my 12 years son without my permission?
A: Since the existing court order does not contain restrictions as to where she can travel, she may be able to travel outside the country for less than a month. Contact an attorney in the county where the mother and child reside about seeking to file a Request to Modify Custody. You did not state whether this was a Divorce Action or a Paternity case. It could make a difference in what sort of help the court can give you. Susan G. Cohen, Esq. Sacramento.
Q. I was attacked at work by a non employee in full view of employers .
A: You should contact an Employment Law Attorney who represents employees as soon as possible. There are some very short statutes of limitation in Employment Law cases for Discrimination and also for Occupational Health and Safety Claims. When did this incident happen? Do you still work for the same employer? Do you know the name of the person that attacked you? Both the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing can help with discrimination claims. A violent assault may not be within the scope of Workers' Compensation Coverage, but the employer may have some responsibility for failing to have measures in place regarding assaults committed against employees. Call a Plaintiff's Employment Lawyer in the county or metropolitan area where you work as soon as possible.
Q. What can I do if my husband walked out on me and 2 kids for another woman he got pregnant?
A: You can file a Petition with the California Superior Court in the County where you live asking the court to provide orders for Child Support and Spousal Support. Do you want to have the court grant you a divorce? If the answer is yes you will want to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. If you are just seeking child and spousal support, you can file a Petition for Legal Separation, and ask for child support, spousal support, division of property and other kinds of relief the court can offer. You should try and find a lawyer who practices in the county where you live. You will need to provide that lawyer with your husband's current address. I do not know what county you live in at this time. My office is located in Sacramento and I accept case for Sacramento County, Yolo County, Solano County and the San Francisco Bay Area. You can contact me if you have any further questions. Susan G. Cohan.
Q. Run Away
A: If you believe that this person has taken your brother without permission from the parent or guardian, the parent or guardian who is the legal custodian of your brother should contact your local police department about filing a missing persons report and for assistance in locating the man who now has your brother with him. You should act quickly, because your brother may not be safe while he is with the older man who has taken him away. If your brother is under eighteen, in most circumstances he does not get to decide who is legal custodian or legal guardian should be. Act promptly. Best wishes to you and for your brother's safety.
Q. When my wife and I got married she kept her maiden name. how can she now change it to my name?
A: Your wife can file a Petition in the Superior Court in the County where she resides to change her name, if she wishes to adopt your last name as her last name. It is a simple procedure but it does require a court order.
Q. Can courts grant & allow visitation to my inlaws if we are both against them having contact with my kids???
A: Your question is missing information. Are you and the other parent still married and living together? If the answer is yes, then you probably can ask the court that enter orders that prevent the in-laws from getting any visitation or custody. Even if you and the other parent or separated or divorced, you probably still have a right to ask the court to enter orders to keep the in-laws from having visitation or custody. If the other parent has died or become incapacitated, the In-laws may be able to ask the court for orders allowing visitation. But unless they can prove you are in unfit parent they are not likely to be successful. You should contact a lawyer near you who can give you advice about what to do, if the in-laws file for visitation or custody in court. You may want to hire an attorney who can help you communicate with the In-laws to make sure they understand your rights as a parent.
Q. I am in Germany. How do I get my divorce papers from the California Northern District Court in San Jose?
A: You will need to write to the Family Law Clerk, Santa Clara County Superior Court in San Jose, California. You should be able to look up the Website of the Santa Clara County Superior Court on the Internet, and find both the Address for the Family Law Clerk's Office and the telephone number. Even though International Telephone Calls are expensive, you may want to telephone the Family Law Clerk to get information about how much they will charge. You may need to look up the Case Number at the Santa Clara County Superior Court Website. In a divorce case, there is information available about your case online. You will probably need a Certified Copy of the Judgement for Dissolution of Marriage, and you want to be sure to get copies of any orders relating to Child Support or Spousal Support, and any court orders modifying Child Custody and Visitation, or Child Support or Spousal Support. You may find it easier to hire a local lawyer who can help you by contacting the court directly.
Q. I have been paying child support for 4 kids that are supposed to be living with the mother for several years
A: Ask the court to Modify the Child Support Order for current Child Support. Do you have rights to have visitation with the child? If you do you may want to seek to Modify Child Visitation and Child Custody. Do you know why your children are living with another family? Is this a decision that the Mother made? Or did Children's Protective Services intervene and take Custody of the Children? If Children's Protective Services intervened, did they give your notice that they were intervening to protect the children?
Q. I have been paying child support for 4 kids that are supposed to be living with the mother for several years
A: You may want to ask the court to Modify the Child Support Order and ask to terminate the order that requires payment of spousal support for the mother.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
331 "J" Street
Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95814
Telephone: (916) 925-1249