Steven Lance Bynum

Steven Lance Bynum

I Draft QDRO’s
  • Estate Planning, DUI & DWI, Criminal Law ...
  • California
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

A large portion of my practice is devoted to the division of retirement accounts requiring Qualified Domestic Relations Orders or QDRO’s. In this unique area of law, I can bring a sense of calm and order by reviewing and offering advice as to the division of most deferred compensation plans.

I bring a diverse background with plenty of life experience to the table for my clients. Before taking the plunge into law school and the practice of law, I worked in the Kern County District Attorney’s Office, Bureau of Investigation, Kern County Employees’ Retirement Association (KCERA) and ran a successful termite & pest control company. After passing the California bar exam, I became a family law practitioner and worked for two of the most competent and ethical family law attorneys in California. I was later recruited by the Kern County District Attorney’s office and worked as a prosecutor before starting the Law Office of Steven L. Bynum.

?I favor a collaborative approach because it best serves both parties and focuses on a positive outcome. Collaboration offers clients the forum and opportunity to resolve the most important and personal matters in their life, with dignity, privacy and respect. These are the standards and principles that I believe in and use in my practice.

?I am licensed in both California State Court and Federal Court in the Eastern District of California. I am also a member of the American, California, Los Angeles County, and Kern County Bar Associations.

I bring an unparalleled depth of knowledge to your legal needs and provide strategies about the best way to move forward with your legal issue.

I have the legal knowledge, skills, and experience to advise clients on many different types of legal issues. I am proud to extend my professional services to help all of my clients resolve their legal matters

Practice Areas
Estate Planning
Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Criminal Law
Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
Juvenile Law
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Federal Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Attorney at Law
Law Office of Steven L. Bynum
- Current
Deputy District Attorney
Kern County District Attorney
Prosecute criminal cases from inception to disposition. Litigated hundreds of misdemeanor cases and conducted over 100 preliminary hearings.
Associate Attorney
McAtee & Oldfield, Attorneys at Law
Family Law, QDRO, Estate Planning, Litigation, Civil Discovery
Concord Law School
J.D. (2016) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
California State University - Bakersfield
M.A. (2011) | Public Administration
Honors: Pi Alpha Alpha Honor Society (4.0 GPA)
Placeholder image for education.
California State University - Bakersfield
B.A. (2010) | Public Administration
Placeholder image for education.
Bakersfield College
A.A. (2009) | Economics
Placeholder image for education.
Academic Honor Society
Pi Alpha Alpha
Public Administration Academic Honor Society 4.0 GPA
Professional Associations
Kern County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Mastering the Master's Thesis, Bakersfield, CA
California State University - Bakersfield
Spoke on Panel of prior master's candidates regarding how to tackle writing a thesis for the Master's Program.
Certification to Practice in Juvenile Courts
Superior Court of California
Websites & Blogs
Law Office of Steven L. Bynum
Facebook Page
Legal Answers
10 Questions Answered
Q. How do I share custody with the man who has been the father to my adopted kids and add his name to their birth certs?
A: 1. Common Law spouse is not recognized in California.

2. You can't just unilaterally add a man to the father's position on the birth certificate.

You will need to go through a stepparent adoption if you are married. Otherwise its an independent adoption and termination of the biological father's parental rights.
Q. I served a QDRO to my ex for his signature but he refused to sign it. Just completely ignores it . what can I do ? Thank
A: It really depends on what the rules are in your jurisdiction. For instance I typically send the order out for a signature with a letter asking for a return of the signed stipulation (or QDRO) within ten days. I typically send a second letter after the ten day period has expired with a further disclaimer that no response will result in deletion of the signature and filing with the court. I usually file the document after deleting the signatures with the letters attached. But QDRO’s are not usually required to be signed by the parties unless it’s a plan requirement.
Q. In CA. My husband/his ex never filed a QDRO. He died. What do I need to do to get CalPERS to pay me his pension?
A: You need to file the order nunct pro tunct. A QDRO attorney can assist you with this. CalPERS will still need to be properly joined into the matter. In what County do you reside?
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Steven L. Bynum
Attorney at Law
3434 Truxtun Avenue
Suite 250
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Telephone: (661) 835-6324
Fax: (661) 835-6326
Monday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed (Today)