Stephen M Vincent

Stephen M Vincent

Attorney at State 48 Law
  • Divorce, Family Law, Appeals & Appellate ...
  • Arizona
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Stephen Vincent is a founding member and attorney at State 48. Stephen has a passion for the law and teaching. He has combined those loves as the head of new client intake and head of legal education programs. He also is the firm’s main researcher and works on all appellate cases.

Stephen Vincent, Attorney, is a lifelong writer who uses this skill to explain clearly and memorably a client’s case to judges. A native of St. George, Utah, Stephen attended Arizona State University for law school where he interned for the Goldwater Institute and worked as a Justice Court mediator. After law school, Stephen worked for a year at the Washington County (Utah) Attorney’s Office. While there, he drafted county ordinances, assisted in homicide prosecutions, and headed up a major project to protect the county’s access to federal lands.

Before law school, Stephen worked as a sportswriter in Utah. He has also taught writing and communication courses at Southern Utah University and Dixie State University. Because of his background as a professional writer and writing instructor, Stephen is the ideal person to tell your story. Stephen loves sports and spending time with his 24 nieces and nephews.

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Appeals & Appellate
    Arbitration & Mediation
    Family Arbitration
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Arizona
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Client Intake Attorney and Appellate Attorney
State 48 Law
- Current
Senior Attorney
Best Law Firm
Special Deputy County Attorney
Washington County (Utah) Attorney's Office
Arizona State University
J.D. (2013) | Law
Honors: Four-time Pedrick Scholar (Dean's List) CALI Award in Arizona Media Law
Arizona State University Logo
Southern Utah University
M.A. (2008) | Communication
Southern Utah University Logo
Brigham Young University
B.A. (2004) | Communications (Print Journalism). Minor: English
Brigham Young University Logo
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Top Family Law Lawyers in Scottsdale
Firm Award
Professional Associations
State Bar of Arizona  # 030779
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
State 48 Law
State 48 Law Blog
Legal Answers
77 Questions Answered
Q. Is there a phone number I can call to speak to someone confidentially about my children we live in Arizona?
A: Yes, you can call any family law attorney's office and speak to them confidentially about your children.
Q. State of AZ failed to use UCCJEA, for temp emergency custody minor kids, CA case. Had jurisdiction, what case law help?
A: My heart goes out to you. It sounds like you're in a very difficult position. The law for temporary emergency jurisdiction is ARS 25-1034. The best case on your side is probably Arturo D. v. Dep't of Child Safety, 249 Ariz. 20 (App. 2020) where Arizona did exercise emergency jurisdiction even though California was the home state. The difference there, though, is there was no case was pending in California. Another case to check out is Shaquia G. v. Dep't of Child Safety, 251 Ariz. 212 (App. 2021). That said, I want to clarify with you what the law is on jurisdiction. The law is very clear that the state that issues the original custody order has exclusive, continuing jurisdiction as long as at least one parent continues to reside in the state. See A.R.S. 25-1032. No other state can modify California's custody order as long as it has continuing, exclusive jurisdiction. See A.R.S. 25-1033. If I'm understanding correctly. California issued the original custody order. It sounds like Father continues to live there. If so, California is the only state with jurisdiction. If Father does not reside there, then it might be possible for Arizona to take jurisdiction. And 25-1034 allows only for TEMPORARY emergency jurisdiction, i.e., Arizona can put an order in place that's necessary to protect the children, but that order only is in effect until California can rule on it.
Q. My father passed away without a will How do we proceed
A: You should contact a probate attorney, and his estate is likely to go through the probate courts. Because he died without a will, his estate will go through a process called "intestacy" to determine who his heirs are. A probate attorney (a family law attorney is not a probate attorney) can walk you through this.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
State 48 Law
14500 N Northsight Blvd
Suite 313
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Telephone: (602) 649-1325
Monday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 6 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 12 PM
Saturday: Closed (Today)
Sunday: Closed