Stephen J. Plog

Stephen J. Plog

Denver Divorce and Custody Attorneys
  • Divorce, Family Law
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABronzeBlawgsearchSocial Media

As one of the co-founders of Plog & Stein P.C., Stephen J. Plog is a highly skilled Denver divorce lawyer who truly cares about helping his clients successfully resolve family law issues. The Chicago native has handled cases in all the district courts of the Denver metropolitan area, which has allowed him to gain unique and invaluable experience in regards to how judges tend to rule on certain matters. If you need help with a family law case, he is the kind of lawyer you want advocating on your behalf. He is admitted to practice in the state of Colorado and the U.S. District Court for District of Colorado. He creates unique strategies to reflect the unique nature of each case he accepts. A graduate of Quinnipiac University School of Law, Attorney Plog is a member of the Colorado Bar Association and the Douglas / Elbert Bar Association. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family, playing golf, and traveling. Wish to speak to Attorney Plog about your family law case? Contact our firm today for an initial consultation! He can help you better understand the options that are available to you before you decide to move forward with your family law matter.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
  • English
Professional Experience
Plog & Stein P.C.
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Honors: American Jurisprudence Award, Legal Writing
New Mexico State University
Honors: Also completed coursework towards general government degree and supplemental pre-law minor.
Professional Associations
Douglas/Elbert Bar Association
Colorado State Bar
Colorado Bar Association
- Current
Legal Answers
424 Questions Answered

Q. I have separated from my wife for over 15 years, no kids. I purchased a house 2 years after the separation, so do I need
A: The sworn financial statement requires you to list all assets you have, not just ones acquired before separation. That does not mean arguments cannot be made as to what is marital, what is fair, etc, but you are required to list everything.
Q. My daughter’s father has not had any contact with her for a year. Can his rights be terminated?
A: Termination of parental rights means that the actual parent/child tie is cut and he would no longer mean he is the father. That would also mean he pays no support. His rights cannot be terminated unless as part of adoption proceedings or tied into a DHS case. If the question is whether all of his visitation he never takes can be take away, the answer is yes. However, he could always come back to reestablish it down the road. You should consult with a family law attorney.
Q. Joint custody/decision making to full after non-cust parent doesn't see child for 8 years? They are current on support.
A: If he has had nothing to do with child, refuses to provide phone number, address, or way to communicate, it seems that you would have a good shot at modifying decision-making to sole. Additionally, parenting time could also be modified. Not sure what you mean by "take her to his state" other than tied into parenting time. Until a child turns 18, the court always has jurisdiction to modify and he could take a shot at getting time reestablished. You should consult with a family law attorney to discuss your case in specifics.
Q. Paternal grandmother has guardianship of my son. Recently It was terminated (in my favor). With a termination date
A: You need to consult with an attorney and need to make sure your response to the custody petition is filed on time. You could argue that the facts and circumstances tied into the child have already been adjudicated at the district court level such that the probate order should supersede and stand. More information is needed to fully answer your question, including as to whether asking to terminate the guardianship now is the right move to make. The end of the school year is a long way away. If you can prove that alienation is occurring, a court might change that aspect of the orders.
Q. What are my rights if unmarried but have child?
A: If you are not getting the visitation you want with your child, you can certainly talk to the mother to see if you can come to some sort of other agreements. If not, your only option with enforceability would be to file a custody (allocation of parental responsibilities) case in the county where she resides. Child support will be part of that case as well. Again, you all could agree upon child support as well, without going to court. If you do come to agreements on your own, you should at least put them down on paper and both sign. Though those agreements might not be legally enforceable or binding, they would at least be evidence should you have to file a legal case down the road.
Q. My son and his ex went to court for mediation of visiting rights. The ex has never followed the order (over 12 yrs.)
A: Are you asking on behalf of yourself or your son? In either case, someone needs to consult with a family law attorney. Additionally, a lot more information is needed before anyone can give a meaningful answer in terms of what can be done. If the orders haven't been followed for 12 years, your son might be able to file a motion to enforce parenting time pursuant to CRS 14-10-129.5. However, a court is going to question why he waited 12 years to do anything. He could also seek to get visitation re-established. This will likely entail reunification therapy to get him and the kids reacquainted with each other. Visitation could build from there. As a grandparent, you could also file a petition for grandparent visitation. However, after 12 years of no contact, that option may not be that viable.
Q. If a man buys a mobile home and owes back child support can the state take that home for repayment of his arrears?
A: Seizure of the mobile home is unlikely but the state could absolutely put a lien on the mobile home.
Q. After court date on 'Motion to Modify' request filed by my ex, the Judge ruled in my favor also awarding some atty fees.
A: You will need to discuss this with your attorney. Each attorney is going to handle things differently. If you signed a contract with your attorney, which you presumably did, your attorney is still going to want payment. If he or she says they can wait to get paid from the other party so be it. Likely they will expect you to pay them and then fees from other party will go to you as they come in.
Q. Is a hand written and signed agreement to alter days and times of shared custody a legal document? Jefferson county CO
A: If the agreement was submitted to the court and made an order of the court it is a legal document and binding. If it is just something you all signed and is no longer doable, then your move is to tell her you're going back to what the court orders say, which would be the only legally binding document. If she refuses you should seek out the assistance of any attorney to file a motion to enforce parenting time.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Plog & Stein P.C.
DTC Office
6021 S Syracuse Way
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Telephone: (303) 781-0322
Plog & Stein P.C.
North Denver Office
8001 Arista Place
Suite 400
Broomfield, CO 80021
Telephone: (303) 781-0322