Free Consultation: (312) 300-4743Tap to Call This Lawyer
Stephanie Sexauer

Stephanie Sexauer

Owner, Probate Practice, Sexauer Law, P.C.
  • Probate, Elder Law, Estate Planning ...
  • Illinois
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Ms. Sexauer focuses her practice on probate matters, including: elder law, guardianship, estate planning, wills, trusts, and will contests. She is a member of the Chicago Bar Association and the Illinois State Bar Association. Stephanie speaks Spanish fluently and is regularly selected by Cook County judges to serve as a court-appointed Guardian ad Litem for disabled adults. Stephanie also serves on the Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Chicago Bar Association.

Practice Areas
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Nursing Home Abuse
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Owner, Lawyer
Sexauer Law, P.C.
- Current
Ruben Garca, P.C.
The John Marshall Law School
The John Marshall Law School Logo
Dean's Scholarship
The John Marshall Law School
Professional Associations
Illinois State Bar  # 6311374
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
2014 Supplement of Guardianship for Disabled Adults, Advance Directives and Mental Health Law
Speaking Engagements
Vice Chair, CBA Young Lawyer Section's Estates and Trusts Group Annual Seminar, Chicago Bar Association 321 S. Plymouth Court Chicago, IL 60603
Chicago Bar Association
Moderated a 3 hour panel on pitfalls in estate planning, estate administration, and guardianship.
Vice Chair, CBA Youn Lawyer
Center for Conflict Resolution
Websites & Blogs
Sexauer Law PC
Legal Answers
41 Questions Answered
Q. My mother passed away in July. There is a will that states to split evenly between me and my sibling.
A: I'm so sorry to hear about your mother; I hope you're hanging in there. Yes, it's appropriate for most costs in "finalizing" your mother's affairs be deducted from an estate before any heir receives their share. All bills of an estate must be paid, and it's fair for the estate to share in the expenses equally before anyone gets their inheritance.
Q. At what size Net Worth should I consider a Trust instead of a Will?
A: Hi there, Congratulations for considering an estate plan! It's so important to do this as soon as you're able, but we know most people don't (which makes their estates ultimately much messier and more expensive when they become disabled or die). I'm assuming you're referencing what's called a "revocable" living trust (as opposed to "irrevocable"). In Illinois, we generally know an estate will be subject to probate if: 1) you own real estate (even with a mortgage) 2) you have assets over $100,000 (both assuming these assets are not jointly owned, in trust, or name a beneficiary) We also know a minor or adult guardianship estate may be needed, depending on various factors (if a beneficiary is a minor or disabled adult, if the grantor becomes disabled during life due to accident or incapacity, etc.). I think you should consult an attorney you're comfortable with to discuss your specific needs to see if you might benefit from a trust-based estate plan. Please note, this is not legal advice and we have not established an attorney/client relationship. Please do reach out to me directly at (312)300-4743 or if you'd like to schedule a consultation with me. Thank you!
Q. My mother lent my brother 55k dollars to pay for his divorce 15 yrs ago. He only paid her back about 29k before he died.
A: Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope you're all hanging in there. In Illinois, if your brother didn't have children, his assets (that don't name a beneficiary or joint owner) would pass to his wife. If there was a probate proceeding, creditors (like your mother) would have an opportunity to file a claim so that he or she can be paid prior to the assets being distributed to the heir. If the new wife knew your mother was owed money, she should've been given a very specific notice saying this. If the new wife didn't know your brother owed money to your mother, all creditors have a 6 month period to come forward. Depending on the timing of this, your mother may have a chance to still file a claim. Please call a local probate attorney to discuss this. Please note, the above should not be misconstrued as legal advice, and we have not established an attorney/client relationship.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Sexauer Law, P.C.
180 N. LaSalle Street Suite 3700
Chicago, IL 60601
Telephone: (312) 300-4743
Fax: (312) 300-4893
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed (Today)
Sunday: Closed