Sonja M. Nyberg

Sonja M. Nyberg

Divorce and family law attorney in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
  • Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence
  • Minnesota
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

As a Senior Associate Attorney at Arnold, Rodman & Kretchmer, P.A., Ms. Nyberg focuses her practice exclusively on family law, including but not limited to divorce, custody matters, paternity, child support, spousal maintenance, non-marital tracing and property division, prenuptial agreement drafting and review, as well as interstate and appellate work. Ms. Nyberg takes great pride on helping individuals through the most difficult of family matters, zealously and empathetically advocating for their rights. The quality of Ms. Nyberg’s work has resulted in her receipt of a “Superb” rating through and being named a Super Lawyer Rising Star, an award given to no more than 2.5% of attorneys in the State of Minnesota.

Prior to beginning her practice in 2012, Ms. Nyberg secured a judicial clerkship in Hennepin County Family Court. There, she worked on high asset divorce cases with complex financial matters, as well as high conflict custody disputes. Ms. Nyberg learned firsthand how judicial officers decide cases and what makes a family law attorney effective inside and outside of the courtroom. Ms. Nyberg knows that every family is different. Her experience, knowledge of the court system, reasoned approach to these matters helps her clients achieve their unique goals.

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
Additional Practice Area
  • Parentage
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Flat fee rates are offered to truly uncontested cases.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Arnold, Rodman & Kretchmer, P.A.
- Current
Divorce and family law attorney.
Attorney / Partner
Metzger & Nyberg, LLC
Divorce, custody, parenting time child support attorney.
Associate Attorney
Cordell & Cordell
Associate Attorney
Gadtke & Beyer, LLC
Family law associate.
Judicial Law Clerk
Hennepin County District Court
Judicial Law Clerk in Hennepin County Family Court.
Hamline University School of Law
J.D. (2010) | Law
Honors: Dean's List, Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution
Hamline University School of Law Logo
College of Saint Benedict
B.A. (2004) | English Literature, Political Science
Honors: Dean's List
Activities: Varsity Ice Hockey
Placeholder image for education.
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
10 Best Female Attorneys
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Professional Associations
Minnesota State Bar  # 0391308
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hennepin County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Fourth District Ethics Committee
- Current
Activities: Investigate and provide recommendations to the Office of Lawyers' Professional Responsibility regarding cases involving the code of ethics attorneys pledge to adhere to.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Volunteer Lawyers Network
Volunteer Attorney
- Current
Activities: Provide pro bono legal services to residents of Hennepin County in the areas of divorce, custody, parenting time, and child support.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Family Law League
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Can My Wife Freeze My Funds Before My Divorce?
Speaking Engagements
Child Support Basics, Advising the Disadvantaged, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Minnesota Continuing Legal Education
Rule 114 Roster Eligible for Family Law Mediation
State of Minnesota
Websites & Blogs
Firm Website
Legal Answers
2 Questions Answered
Q. Can my ex demand I pay childcare when she is the one providing that childcare? Not child support but childcare.
A: Without reading your current order for child support, it is difficult to give you the best answer. With that said, in order for you to modify the amount you are paying per month for childcare support you will need to file a motion with the Court. The good news, however, is that child care support should be based upon the actual amount paid for child care costs so you could still ask the Court to look back and modify your obligation based upon the actual cost incurred for your child.

If paying child care support becomes cost prohibitive to you and/or you ultimately decide to file a motion with the Court, I would recommend speaking to an attorney with experience in this area who can walk you through the process. There are also a good deal of resources and forms available on the Minnesota courts website. Best of luck to you. ... Read More
Q. My ex has not allowed me to see my kids during the stay at home order in MN
A: No she cannot and by doing so she is in violation of the court order as it applies to your parenting time. I currently know of no judicial officers who are suspending a parent's time with the children, or putting such drastic restrictions upon how and where it occurs, because of the pandemic. Your ex should be following the Court order. If she continues to fail to do so, you may need to ask the Court for assistance. I recommend speaking with an experienced family law attorney before you do so. Best of luck to you!
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Arnold, Rodman & Kretchmer, P.A.
2626 East 82nd Street
Suite 355
Bloomington, MN 55425
Telephone: (952) 955-8008
Fax: (952) 955-8009