Free Consultation: (703) 883-0880Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sonja Aoun

Sonja Aoun

Briglia Hundley, P.C.
  • Divorce, Family Law, Estate Planning ...
  • District of Columbia, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Sonja Aoun represents family law clients in all aspects of separation and divorce, including divorce planning/premarital agreements, collaborative divorces, negotiated settlements, and trials. Her estate planning practice ranges from the preparation of powers of attorney and advance medical directives to wills and complex trusts and special needs planning.

Sonja obtained her law degree from Georgetown University Law Center after graduating cum laude with a B.S. in Languages (Spanish) from Georgetown University. Starting in 2014, she has been named to the Virginia SuperLawyers list in the field of family law; she has been listed in the Washington, DC SuperLawyers since 2015.

She is a popular speaker at local Done with Divorce estate planning seminars and Second Saturday separation and divorce workshops and other women’s groups. She is a member of the family law sections of the Fairfax Bar Association and the Virginia State Bar, the Virginia Women Attorney’s Association, and a past member of the National Association of Professional Women.

Ms. Aoun represents high net worth individuals, professionals, government employees, military servicemembers and their spouses, and disabled individuals. She also has experience in custody modification and relocation cases, including cases involving aspects of international law. She is licensed to practice in both Virginia and Washington, D.C. She speaks Spanish and French, and resides with her husband and three children in Fairfax County, VA.

Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Estate Planning
Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Probate Administration
  • Free Consultation
    Estate Planning clients receive a free initial telephone consultation.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
District of Columbia Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Of Counsel
Briglia Hundley, P.C.
- Current
Owner, Attorney
Aoun Law Group, PLLC
Owner, Attorney
Aoun & Boone, P.C.
Dycio & Biggs
Owner, Attorney
Aoun & Stanford, P.C.
Georgetown University Law Center
Juris Doctor (2000)
Honors: Award of Achievement in Conflicts of Laws
Placeholder image for education.
Georgetown University
B.S. in Languages (1995) | Spanish Major
Honors: Graduated cum laude; Outstanding Achievement in Spanish Award; Certificate of Latin American Studies
Georgetown University Logo
Professional Associations
District of Columbia Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Estate Planning After Divorce: Your Next Steps, Done with Divorce, Virtual
Argent Bridge Advisors
Provided information tailored to people finishing or finished with the divorce process about key steps to take to protect themselves and their loved ones with estate planning documents.
Websites & Blogs
Sonja N. Aoun Profile Page
Legal Answers
19 Questions Answered
Q. My parents have been seperated for 40+ years. My father has become ill and I wanted to know how to get them divorced
A: If your father wants to file for divorce, he can do so if he has been a Virginia resident for the past six months. When he files for divorce, if he doesn't know where your mother is, he will need to file an affidavit verifying that he doesn't know her address. He can then request that she be served with the divorce paperwork by publication, which means publishing the information in a local newspaper. If he does know where she is, that process will be a bit easier. He should make an effort to locate her, because it can affect whether any final decision regarding his assets can be overturned by her later on. If your father owned property with your mother while they were married, he will have to ask the court to divide up that property. If she doesn't show up for the hearing, then the court will most likely just give it to him.

If your father does not have a will or trust in place already, he has the opportunity to direct whether or not she would receive any assets from him. If they are not divorced yet, she may still be able to claim a certain share of the assets. But if the divorce is final, then she cannot challenge his will.

I also suggest talking to your father about titling assets in a way that avoids probate, such as "transfer on death" bank accounts, and making sure any retirement accounts or life insurance policies don't list her as a beneficiary.

In order to fully answer your question, an attorney would need the specific details of your case, which should be discussed in a confidential setting. There is a lot that can be done to help him out, and most attorneys are able to work with clients who are ill and need special accommodations.
... Read More
Q. My spouse and I will be attempting in home separation in Virginia. He is an airline pilot. If I take a trip to visit
A: Temporary absences without the intent to separate permanently do not amount to desertion in Virginia. The court may view the trips to visit family and friends differently than leaving to go to an apartment or hotel when your spouse is home differently, however. Also, notifying other people that you intend to return is not the same as letting your spouse known you will be home again.
Q. Reference Custody and Visitation. I went to court on December 14, 2021, when does a custody order go into effect?
A: This type of confusion happens frequently after a hearing. Did you have an attorney? If so, please ask the attorney who has been representing you for clarity. Often someone has asked the judge when the order takes effect. If no date is specified, the usual default is that once a judge has made his or her ruling, it takes effect immediately, even if no order has been entered yet. If you're still uncertain what your obligations are, talking to to an attorney, with a copy of the transcript of the court's ruling, is advisable.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Briglia Hundley, P.C.
1921 Gallows Road
Suite 750
Tysons Corner, VA 22182
Telephone: (703) 883-0880
Monday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: All appointments are currently held remotely as a safety precaution due to COVID-19.