Free Consultation: (954) 237-1777Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sheri A Benchetrit

Sheri A Benchetrit

Stok Kon + Braverman
  • Immigration Law, Appeals & Appellate
  • Florida, Michigan
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AGoldBlawgsearchSocial Media

Sheri Benchetrit has more than 25 years of experience practicing law; three of them as a Magistrate in the 47th District Court in Michigan. She is a graduate of the University of Detroit School of Law and she has an undergraduate degree in International Relations from Michigan State University.

Sheri’s practice is exclusively devoted to Immigration and Nationality Law. She represents individuals who wish to live and work in the U.S., as well as businesses interested in U.S. market entry. She regularly appears before the immigration courts in Florida, as well as the Board of Immigration Appeals. Sheri has practiced before the federal courts throughout her career, handling Hague International Child Abduction matters and is currently a member of the International Child Abduction Attorney Network.

Born and raised in Michigan, Sheri now lives in Miami with her husband and three children. She is very active in her community and volunteers much of her time to local charities and to pro bono work.

She has been honored as Lawyer of the Month by Lawyers to the Rescue and has been named Executive Professional Entrepreneur of the Year for 2012 by Worldwide Who’s Who. Sheri is also AV Preeminent by her peers according to Martindale Hubbell for her ethics and legal ability.

Practice Areas
  • Immigration Law
  • Appeals & Appellate
Additional Practice Areas
  • E-2 Investor's Visas
  • EB 5 Visas
  • L1A intra company transfer visas
  • H1b professional visas and Labor Certifications/PERM
  • R-1 Religious worker visas
  • Family Based Immigration
  • Consular Processing
  • Naturalization
  • Waivers
  • Asylum
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
  • Spanish
Professional Experience
Stok Kon + Braverman
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
Placeholder image for education.
Michigan State University
B.A. (1989)
Michigan State University Logo
Executive Professional Entrepreneur of the Year
Worldwide Who’s Who
AV Preeminent Rating
Martindale Hubbell
Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards by Peers
Lawyer of the Month
Lawyers to the Rescue
Professional Associations
International Child Abduction Attorney Network
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Florida State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Michigan State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Speaker, Mastermind Presentation with Performance Alliance Group, EB Hotel
presentation on E2 investor's visas, L1A intra company transfers, and EB 5 investor's visas
Legal Answers
66 Questions Answered

Q. My Canadian girlfriend was denied entry to the US land border south of Montreal on October 2019 on the grounds of not en
A: I would be more than happy to speak with you. When entering the US as a visitor it is always best to be prepared to document all of your ties to your home country. This can include a number of things including apartment leases, enrollment in school, bank statements, confirmation of employment. If she chooses to attempt to enter again she should be well prepared before doing so and have documentation in her hand to show to the officer.
Q. I filed a form i-130 in Florida for my son while he was illegally in the usa and the i-130 got approved what do i do nex
A: In order to answer your question, there is more information that will need to be gathered. When you say your son was illegal, it is unclear whether he is an overstay or whether he entered the US illegally. I suggest that you make an appointment with an experienced immigration attorney to make a plan for your next steps which may or may not include the filing of a waiver. Best of luck
Q. Immigration Visa for Daughter Deported for Violating Student Visa
A: You can certainly file an I 130 to sponsor your daughter, but her place in line will be determined by her age and whether she is married. You should know that the I 130 does not give her the right to enter the US or to remain in the US while waiting for USCIS to make a decision. It is not clear as to what she did that caused CBP to deny her entry based on a violation of the conditions of her visa. Also you state that she was "deported," but it is unclear just exactly what occurred. Before advising you as to whether she would need a waiver or what type of waiver would be required, I would need some additional information. I suggest that you speak with an experienced immigration lawyer and provide documentation and a full account of your situation.
Q. What are the ways to postpone the submission of immigrant visa application after immigration petition has been granted?
A: touch base with the National Visa Center by phone and let them know you are still interested in moving forward. They will keep the case open. You should do this every 6 months or so to make sure they keep the case open. This should work for at least. A year or two but may not work indefinitely but should buy you some Time.
Q. Is my name an issue?
A: You should use your name as it appears on the US passport and when it asks if you have ever used any other names, list the one in the Mexican passport. I do suggest thy you consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain the documents te prepared correctly and you are ready for the interview
Q. Will my unmarried daughter be able to travel with me when the priority date becomes current?
A: Under the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) it would appear that your daughter will have aged out and not be able to benefit from your sister's petition. The calculation works as follows: Take the child's age at the time that the Immigrant Visa becomes available (meaning the priority date is current) and subtract the length of time that the I 130 was pending. In this case your priority date isn't current yet, and your daughter is already 26. Your I 130 was pending for a little over two years. Assuming your priority date was current today, you would take your daughter's age (26) and subtract 2 years 2 months. This would still leave her at more than 21 years of age. Therefore she will not be able to obtain a green card with you as a result of your sister's petition. I would recommend that you make an appointment with an experienced immigration attorney in order to confirm this and explore your other options.
Q. I was previously married and did all the paperwork for my ex wife. Am i entitled to a copy because i want to marry again
A: You can do a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for the I 130 and for any documents that you signed, but you will not be entitled to a copy of the documents she signed, such as the I 485, Application for Employment Authorization or Application for Advanced Parole, as those belong to her.
Q. How can US LPR overcome inadmissibility due to criminal offense involving moral turpitude?
A: There are waivers available for certain criminal offenses, but you have not provided sufficient information in order to give you any advice as to whether you would qualify for any such waiver. I suggest that you speak with an experienced immigration attorney who can review all of the relevant information. Best of luck!
Q. Pls can form 1-130 be approved and form 1-485 be reading request for more evidence,why and what are the implication ?
A: It appears that you are asking if an I 130 can be approved while there is a pending request for evidence on the I 485. The answer to that question would be "yes." The purpose of the I 130 is to determine if the relationship is real (e.g., spouses, parent/child etc.). The purpose of the I 485 is determine if the person who is asking for permanent residency is "admissible," to the US or are they for some reason, such as a criminal matter or a failure to disclose information to an immigration officer, etc., that would prevent them from being admissible. USCIS can absolutely determine that the relationship is real and still need more information to make a decision about the I 485. As far as the implications, it doesn't necessarily mean it is going to denied. It depends on the facts of your case, which I do not know. I suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can assist you.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Stok Kon + Braverman
1 E Broward Blvd
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
Telephone: (954) 237-1777
Fax: (954) 237-1737