Free Consultation: (757) 337-2500Tap to Call This Lawyer
Shemeka C Hankins

Shemeka C Hankins

Former Prosecutor Working for You - Skilled in Drug, DUI, Gun and Juvenile Law
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Juvenile Law...
  • Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Attorney Shemeka Hankins is an experienced prior prosectuor with years of criminal litigation experience. A seasoned trial attorney, she is well-versed in a number of criminal areas such as drugs/narcotics/marijuana, driving under the influence (DUI/DWI), theft crimes, and juvenile justice. She also has experience with mental health programs, license restoration, restoration of gun rights, and expungements.

Shemeka Hankins is a committed servant of the community and puts the rights of clients at the forefront of the defense. She is dedicated to helping her clients protect their freedoms and defend their rights in legal situations. Attorney Shemeka Hankins is a lawyer you can trust with your future.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Juvenile Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Virginia State Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Associate Attorney
Office of the Norfolk Commonwealth's Attorney
Regent University School of Law
J.D. (2011) | Law
Regent University School of Law Logo
College of William and Mary
B.A. (2004) | English, Music
Honors: Ewell Award
Activities: Student Government, Orientation Aide, Choir
College of William and Mary Logo
Public Practitioner of the Year
South Hampton Roads Bar Association
Significant Service Award
Virginia State Bar, Young Lawyers Conference
Significant Service Award
Virginia State Bar, Young Lawyers Conference
Professional Associations
Virginia State Bar # 82185
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia Women Attorney's Association
Board Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia State Bar, Young Lawyers Conference
Board Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
South Hampton Roads Bar Association
Immediate Past President
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
We Must Combat Racial Disparity and Create a More Diverse Legal Profession
Virginia State Bar, Virginia Lawyer
Speaking Engagements
Clerk's Panel on Local Practice and Procedure, Solo and Small Practitioner's Forum, Suffolk, Va
VSB, Conference of Local and Specialty Bar Association
Laws that Affect Kids, 12th Annual African American Male Summit, Green Run High School, Virginia Beach, VA
Websites & Blogs
Invictus Law
Legal Answers
22 Questions Answered

Q. A 16-year-old was running her mouth and threatening my daughters friend with a knife then I came to her aid and she
A: Sounds like you may potentially need a protective order against this child. You can actually have her charged with simple assault at this point if you are in reasonable fear that she is going to cause you bodily harm and you can articulate why or present evidence such as a video of her conduct. An assault does not require contact, that's actually the battery part of a typical assault and battery. However, I think the protective order for you and your child would be the better route to go which will keep her from making contact with you. You can request either from the magistrate in your town. Good luck.
Q. I am 15 can i go to detention for assult and battery even tho i was assulted also ?
A: There are a number of factors that go into answering your question. However, most importantly sounds like you need to talk to a lawyer to adequately present your defenses to the court. If you were acting in self-defense, you may need help presenting that argument to the judge. You can ask the court to appoint you an attorney if you can't afford one or your parent will not get your one. Many lawyers in your area more than likely hold free consultations where you can sit down and get a better idea of what will have in your particular area. You could go to detention for this charge, yes, but hopefully based on what you've said here you can fight the charge. Good luck.
Q. I received a summons for court for not having my tags registered. I have since corrected the issue.
A: More than likely you will need to bring in your registration of your vehicle to show the vehicle is properly registered. The court will require you to show that to the officer and could dismiss your charges. They could also dismiss it as having complied with the law which may require you to only pay the court costs. Good luck
Q. How to get a restraining order lifted in Virginia.
A: First and foremost, who is the protective order against? The person who asked for the restraining order can go to the court to petition to have it dissolved by the court. Most protective order require someone to request it. If it was a restraining order that arose out of this incident, those are usually temporary for 72 hours and then they dissolve on their own. I would seek advice of a local lawyer in your area and take your protective order for them to review so you can get further advice. Good luck.
Q. I was charged with a misdemeanor simple assault on my girlfriend and didn’t get a lawyer should i?
A: Even if this is a misdemeanor, if your case is assault and battery against a family member, there will be a lawyer on the other side for the Commonwealth Attorney's office who will prosecute your case. If that is the case, you really want to be careful about going in without an attorney because even if your girlfriend is "on your side" she may have made statements to police that the prosecution can use against you if they decide to go forward with the prosecution. If it is truly simple assault in the general district court, you have a better chance of the charges getting dismissed but there is still no guarantee just because she says she wants to be dropped. I would seek out a lawyer in your local area and get further advice. Many do free consultations. Good Luck
Q. I cant pay my ticket, cop gave me the paper with payment info, marked box. But cant pay it online?
A: You more than likely have been charged with Reckless Driving which is a class one misdemeanor that can end up with jail time of up to a year. 80 miles per hour is reckless driving not speeding. That is probably why there is no online payment option. You will need to appear in court. I would advise speaking to someone in your local area to help you figure out what the repercussions could be in your local court systems and whether hiring a lawyer to help is the right choice for you.
Q. My 5th grade daughter was attacked by a classmate. My child is 10, the other child is 11.
A: If you go down to your local magistrate for assault, that is potentially possible but I would suggest taking other action before you do this. Perhaps you can get a protective order for your child against this child. As to the mother, you could potentially take out charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor if you can get records of reports about the bullying your child has endured from the school. This is all nebulous because it really depends on how the judges in your jurisdiction would react to this and I would ask local counsel in your area for advice.
Q. I have a question I have been given my civil rights back a few years ago but have to go through so called petition court
A: No you cannot and you will be flagged if you attempted to purchase a firearm.
Q. I live in Hanover County VA and need to KNOW if I can legally by firearms have been given civil rights back??
A: You lost your rights when you received a felony in the state of Virginia. Nothing is absolute. You have to go through the petition process after your civil rights are restored by the governor. If you have had those rights restored, you petition the circuit court of the county/city where you live. There are lawyers who assist with restoration if you need more help. The filing fee for the petition is only about $100.00. You can attempt to do it yourself but its smartest to get legal assistance to help you through the process. Good luck
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Invictus Law
1240 Perimeter Parkway
Suite 404
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
Telephone: (757) 337-2500