Free Consultation: (970) 449-6280Tap to Call This Lawyer
Shawn H. Smith
  • Divorce, Family Law, Arbitration & Mediation
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

The Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith is a Family law firm serving Fort Collins, Colorado and surrounding areas.

I handle all areas of family law, including property division, child custody issues, child or spousal support, and enforcement of court orders. If you have a tough divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support, enforcement, or modification issue, you need to find competent representation that you can trust. I can help you understand the divorce process, giving your case the personal attention that it needs to get you the result you deserve. I also strive to make sure that your rights are protected at your child custody hearing, keeping the best interest of your family in mind.

I have dedicated my career to protecting the rights of families in Colorado with their family law cases. Call my office today to schedule a consultation on your divorce or child custody matter.

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Arbitration & Mediation
    Business - Arbitration/Mediation, Consumer - Arbitration/Mediation, Family - Arbitration/Mediation
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Colorado Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
State Bar of Texas
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Partner
Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith
- Current
Shawn H. Smith, Attorney and Mediaor
Associate Attorney
Soyars and Morgan Law, P.C.
Trial Attorney
Zinda and Davis, PLLC
Law Offices of Shawn H. Smith
Soyars Law Offices
St. Mary's University School of Law
J.D. | Law
Honors: Deans list Dean's scholarship
Activities: Law Review
St. Mary's University School of Law Logo
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Star
Super Lawyers
Rising Legal Star
San Antonio Scene
Professional Associations
Larimer county bar association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Colorado Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
San Antonio criminal defense lawyer's association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
iPad and iPhone Basics, The Mobile Lawyer Series, San Antonio Texas
San Antonio Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
39 Questions Answered
Q. For temporary orders shouldn't all community assets be exhausted first before separate property is used to pay bills?
A: Probably not, unless it was specifically stated in the order. It also depends on what you are considering to be your separate property at this point. It would be a good Idea to consult your attorney about this, since you may be confused. If you don't have an attorney, it sounds like now would be a good time to get one since there is some confusion that is too involved to clean up on an open forum like this one. Many, including myself, will give a free consultation to discuss your issues. Good luck.
Q. How long does the court give you to complete required actions?
A: Your divorce will be final when the decree is signed by the two of you and a judge. If that is what happened on 3/2/12, then you have been divorced for a while now. If she has not done one of the terms of the Decree, then you can file a motion to enforce on her to get her to behave. You should probably call a couple of attorneys for a consultation. Most, myself included, will give you a free consultation so you can figure out where you stand. Good luck.
Q. How do I get my rights to my son that lives with his dad? We never married and we have A little girl too, that lives with me...
A: In order to get rights to your children, you will need to file a suit affecting the parent child relationship asking for custody. Contact a couple of family law attorneys in your area to find out what you need to do specifically in your case. Good luck.
View More Answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
155 East Boardwalk Drive
Suite 400
Fort Collins, CO 80525
Telephone: (970) 449-6280
Monday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed