Sean R Hanover

Sean R Hanover

Criminal Practice (trial and procedures)
  • Business Law, Criminal Law, Employment Law...
  • District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

Attorney Hanover has been working in the legal arena since graduating with double Master Degrees in Employment Law (HR) and Union Law (Industrial Relations) in 1996. He obtained his JD from the University of the District of Columbia in 2008 and maintains a vibrant practice focusing on immigration, bankruptcy, criminal defense, and business law. In a twist he never saw coming, Mr. Hanover has become accomplished at defending gang members and individuals convicted of drug offenses in immigration court.

In addition to his law practice, Mr. Hanover also owns an IT consulting company, HHC, Inc. based in Fairfax, VA. This company focuses on Drupal development, a form of open-source PHP/MySQL CMS. His experience as an IT Business owner has provided excellent and useful insight for his small to medium size business legal clients working in commercial, non-profit and government sectors.

Mr. Hanover is a member of the VA Bar, DC Bar, American Bar Association, and American Immigration Lawyers Association. For more information on his business background, visit his LinkedIN profile, and his Zoom Info profile.


To contact our firm, please visit

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Criminal Law
  • Employment Law
  • Family Law
  • Immigration Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Master, Visa, and AmEx
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Base hourly rate is $300. Initial consult is $300 (at the office), but waived if retained. Phone consults are generally free. Typical divorce starts at $2000; immigration defense starts at $2500; criminal representation varies. Payment plans are available. We honor certain pre-paid legal plans, too.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
  • French: Written
  • German: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Criminal Practice (trial and procedures)
Human Resources/Union Law (employment)
Immigration (procedural and litigation)
Business Law (formation and contracts)
St. Francis College (BA)
St. Francis College (MA's)
University of the District of Columbia (JD)
Meritorious Service during Desert Storm
Department of the Army
Professional Associations
- Current
Activities: Criminal Law
- Current
Activities: Immigration Law
Fairfax Volunteer Bar
- Current
Activities: Voluntary bar
Speaking Engagements
AILA Immigration Conference, Paralegal Practice, Las Vegas, NV
Presenting on asylum defense and strategies.
Certified Bankruptcy Procedures
DC Bar
Advanced Trial Tactics
DC Bar
Immigration Law
Legal Answers
13 Questions Answered

Q. Should I seek an attorney before allowing CPS to question my son??
A: Great question -- NEVER speak with the authorities unless you are represented by counsel. This could have a devastating effect on your son and your family. You need to learn what gave rise to these allegations. In a CPS investigation, they will be targeting the family, and the environment that gave rise to the allegations. They could punish you as parents, or even take away your son. The charges, even though dismissed, are serious. I recommend you contact counsel immediately. It is entirely possible to manage this process and avoid referral to an investigation officer (i.e. police...again!), and/or creation of a family plan that limits or even punishes you as a parent. Do NOT do this on your own. It will just cost you more when you have to hire to defend at a hearing. Give us a ring at 703-402-2723 and I'll be happy to walk you through this. v/r - Sean R. Hanover, Esq. 703-402-2723
Q. Hello, I am a deli owner and one of my employee sued me for minimum wage and overtime.
A: Contact us at your earliest convenience. FLSA violations can be nasty, and you need a lawyer to get your through this with a minimum of pain. By way of overview -- generally, if you did not pay an hourly employee the appropriate number of hours, you can be liable for up to three times the missing amount (including overtime). Where the failure to pay was not willful (and that's another kettle of fish as to how the Government defines willful), the amount owed is two times the missing amount. Additionally, you will be responsible for all attorney fees (by statute). There is a formulary for handling these types of cases. It appears you tried to classify someone incorrectly. Because the FLSA is a statute, you cannot "contract" out of it. Either your employee meets the definition, or he/she does not. Give me a ring at 703-402-2723 and I'm happy to discuss. You need to nip this quickly to keep potential liability down. If you have a grounds for defense, I'm happy to discuss it -- but that is not common in most instances. Usually you get in this situation because the owner sought to keep expenses down, etc. Talk to me, and I'll see what we can do to get you out of this pickle. Sean R. Hanover, Esq. 703-402-2723
Q. Forming solo proprietorship
A: I would disagree with your statement about needing to incorporate (or, as you stated, form an LLC). Liability is not just limited to exposure from a potential client. You should definitely speak with a lawyer prior to make any final decision. Taxes are at the (1) federal level (EIN), (2) state (sales tax), and (3)county (BPOL, occupation license). We would be happy to discuss further with you. Give us a ring at 703-402-2723 or 1-800-579-9865.
Q. My 12 years old involved in painting other people property's, and he witnessed his friends setting something on fire.
A: Absolutely! You should not speak with, nor discuss your case, with any government official when a lawyer is not present. In DC, you are looking at delinquency proceedings in Superior Court. These can result in your child being placed under Court supervision, being removed from your home, or being placed in a youth detention facility. This is especially true if there are problems at home, he is not attending school, or is otherwise having problems. Remember that anything you (or your child) say can be used against you. The police are here to solve crimes -- not help you. You need an individual on your side. If you cannot afford an attorney, you need to demand the government provide one for you, before proceeding to any questioning. If you would like to discuss this further, you may reach us at, or 703-402-2723. Sean R. Hanover, Esq.
Q. Can a judge order an abuser to pay a petitioner's legal fees, as well as pay rent, as part of a civil protection order?
A: Great question! So, when you file in DC for a protective order, you ask what relief you are seeking. When you go to Court, the judge will complete (or you will settle with the opposing side) an order regarding your motion for a protective order. A section on that "order" includes payment of home expenses, attorney fees, etc. Note, however, generally, a person cannot be forced to pay rent unless they are on the lease and have been paying already. When going to Court, it is important to provide evidence of the abuse, and why it would be fair to have the "abuser" pay anything. There is a difference between an order to "stay away" and making the individual pay on going rent payments. That will require a compelling reason. Generally, the Court won't cover your attorney fees unless the abuse was particularly bad. The ticket to success in protective custody hearings (held on the first floor of the Courthouse on 500 Indiana Avenue) is settlement. Most folks don't want a protective order on their record. To avoid that, they will consent to a settlement that could well include rent payments. However, make sure you chat with an attorney before agreeing to anything. We would be glad to help!
Q. What constitutes voting shares in the eyes of the IRS?
A: Great question! In answer, a "voting share" refers to a class of shares, the possession of which entitled the bearer to vote on matters related to the corporation or organization. As such, you need to look at the corporate charter, or depending on the structure of an LLC, the operating agreement, to determine what class of shares (or units) have the right to vote. Need help reviewing a charter to determine which class of shares can vote? Feel free to reach out to me directly at 703-402-2723 or
Q. Must a Maryland employer pay the salary of employee who lives in DC and is required to serve on a jury at DC Supr Ct?
A: In regards to your question about whether this all applies to DC as it does to an MD proceeding, the simple answer is "no." The code section referenced above only applies to actions in an MD court, and the reach of the MD law only covers hearings that the MD Court can control or enforce. Because DC is outside of Maryland's jurisdiction, it cannot control the behavior of individuals attending, or not attending jury in those jurisdictions. There is no "jury consideration" reciprocity between jurisdictions. However, as if the individual is exempt, MD does not recognize a legal payroll deduction for jury time, so payment would have to be made (subject to being offset by anything paid to the employee by the Court). Hourly employees are not required to be paid in either jurisdiction. If the employer terminates the employee, they will run afoul of the US Federal Labor Laws. This would potentially give rise to a federal case of employment discrimination. The Dept. of Labor specifically forbids termination due to jury duty, and reclassifies exempt employees who are "docked" jury time as as non-exampted (this has the potential of costing the employer a considerable amount in unpaid overtime and hourly wages). A succinct summary is here: See also: which reads in part: (28 USC 1875) "(a) No employer shall discharge, threaten to discharge, intimidate, or coerce any permanent employee by reason of such employee’s jury service, or the attendance or scheduled attendance in connection with such service, in any court of the United States."
Q. If a child was pushed to direct them in the room in which they were asked to to their chores
A: I would recommend contacting us at your earliest convenience. This matter is serious. In response to your question -- yes, you can be charged with assault. Assault is the unwanted touching (or imminent threat of touching) of another without privilege and without consent. DC Code 22-404(a) covers the charge, which carries a maximum sentence of 180 days. In your example above, you shoved or pushed the child. That would be sufficient to show a touching. The degree of the injury makes you look bad, but in fact, does not rise to the level of an aggravated assault, so is not entirely relevant to the charge (only the sentence). It is still a simple assault. The assault occurred when you shoved. I would be concerned about a DCPS investigation regarding treatment of the child in the home, as likely this was reported as a result of a teacher or some other individual seeing the rug burns or bruise on the face. In terms of custody, it would be entirely likely to see an opposing side (i.e. an ex partner or spouse) use this type of conduct to show the child is unsafe in the home, and move to have custody changed. Please reach out to us, or another lawyer of your choice, to get help with this quickly. Mistakes made at the initial stage (i.e. you making statements to the investigator, or police) can be a critical problem down the road. Be very careful here.
Q. Is there anything I can do to stop my daughter's father from obtaining a birth certificate and SSN?
A: It is not likely the Court will agree to prevent the lawful father, who has rights to visit and be with his child, from obtaining her birth certificate and/or social security number. For that matter, he can file with the state to get a copy of the birth certificate himself. You need to be careful not to appear to be purposefully hindering the father in obtaining something that he has a legal right to have. If you have concerns about what he is doing, you need to be able to explain what they are. Your doubts about health insurance, or anything else, alone is not enough – you need to show where this information will actually harm your daughter.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Hanover Law - VA Offices
2751 Prosperity Ave.
Suite 150
Fairfax, VA 22031
Toll-Free: (800) 579-9864
Telephone: (703) 745-2607
Fax: (360) 294-2165
Hanover Law
888 16th St., NW
Suite 800
Washington, DC 20006
Cell: (703) 402-2723