Sarah Lynn Ruffi

Sarah Lynn Ruffi

  • Business Law, Collections, Landlord Tenant...
  • Wisconsin
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

You won't find business as usual around here!

The Ruffi team understands how distracting and time consuming legal needs can be. Sarah Ruffi founded Ruffi Law Offices, S.C. in 2004 with a clear vision to create a law practice with a broad base of business law experience designed to make legal issues worry-free. Sarah strives to give all of her clients peace of mind by being their in-house counsel at the other end of the telephone line.

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Collections
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Real Estate Law
  • Intellectual Property
  • Employment Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept MasterCard and Visa
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
7th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Marquette University Law School
J.D. (1996) | Law
Marquette University Law School Logo
University of Wisconsin - Whitewater
MBA (1993) | M.B.A. in Business (Marketing)
Honors: Mu Kappa Tau
Placeholder image for education.
Marquette University
B.S. (1990) | Marketing & Finance
Marquette University Logo
Excellence in Teaching Award
Upper Iowa University
Taught Business Law class
Professional Associations
Wisconsin State Bar # 1024317
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Litigation, Intellectual Property and Small Firm Sections
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Marathon County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Association for Justice
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Legal Answers
29 Questions Answered

Q. Adult child dies after being raised by father and stepmother. Does the mother still have right to 50% of his estate?
A: Based upon the question, I presume that mother never gave up her parental rights. Therefore, if he had no spouse, no children and no Will, that is generally how it works under Wisconsin's intestacy statutes.
Q. My Brother and I inherited my parent's cottage in Northern Wisconsin via an irrevocable trust.
A: The trust will determine what happens once your parents passed. You should contact an attorney to help you liquidate the trust, if that is what the document requires.
Q. Can you transfer your half ownership in a house to the other half owner with a quit claim deed or a title transfer?
A: Yes, you can transfer your half ownership in the house either with a Quit Claim Deed or a Warranty Deed. There will be a transfer fee ($3.00 per $1,000 of value) to be paid, along with the recording fee.
Q. We gave our tenants a 30 day notice. Now they are refusing to pay this months rent. Can we give them a 5 day quit notice
A: Yes. If they are a month-to-month tenant, §704.17, Wis. Stats., allows you to give either a 5-day or 14-day notice for failure to rent. If they are under a lease for one year or less, §704.17(2), Wis. Stats., allows you to give them a 5-day notice to pay or vacate. No prohibition against giving the notice simply because you gave them a 30-day notice terminating their tenancy exists under §704.17, Wis. Stats.
Q. Can my previous property management company hold me to the lease of a company they bought out?
A: In order to be able to give you an informed answer, I would need to see the lease. If your lease was assignable and if your lease included a 60 day termination provision for a month-to-month tenancy, then you are probably stuck with the 60 day notice period.
Q. Is there any legal way to disown my mother and my sister?? I want nothing to do with my moms estate when she passes
A: When your mom passes, you can disclaim any inheritance.
Q. My parents died six months apart the will was revised but not signed when my mother died, why is probate required?
A: The law in Wisconsin requires a probate to be opened in a person's estate is worth more than $50,000.00. Based on your facts, your mother owned a home when she died and had assets totaling $85,000 that need to be distributed. The only way to distribute those assets (regardless if her Will was signed) is through the probate process.
Q. Do Wisconsin home sellers have to disclose dead trees that pose a major safety concern?
A: The seller was required to complete a Real Estate Condition Report, which covers many areas of the structure and property conditions. However, the health of trees and vegetation on the property are not included in the representations. Therefore, the sellers likely had no obligation to disclose the health of any trees on the property.
Q. can a landlord have you move before lease is over for no reason or any reason on the notice
A: Your question is not very clear. It depends what the notice says and what your lease says.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
627 Jackson St
Wausau, WI 54403
Telephone: (715) 843-0800
Fax: (715) 843-0812