I am the son of immigrants. My father came to the United States in 1964; my mother in 1968. They met at a party in Hempstead, New York. Turns out they are from the same province in the Philippines and that their towns are only an hour apart. My grandfather was a revered mathematics teacher in Manaoag. My father served 22 years in the U.S. Navy and another 20 years with the State of California; my mother made sure that my brother, sister and I had everything we needed to excel in school. It worked: I was valedictorian of my class at Elsinore High School, graduated from UCLA, and Northeastern University School of Law. My brother and sister are proud graduates of California State University, Sacramento and San Jose State University, respectively.
I have represented numerous individuals and families who appeared in front of the Immigration Courts, the Board of Immigration Appeals, and the federal Circuit Courts of Appeals. I have also successfully litigated mandamus and Administrative Procedures Act claims against USCIS in the U.S. District Courts.
I have extensive experience with the various applications for relief that can be resolved by the Immigration Court, such as Cancellation of Removal for Certain Non-Permanent Residents (Form EOIR-42B), Cancellation of Removal for Certain Permanent Residents (Form EOIR-42A), Asylum, Withholding of Removal, and Relief under the Convention Against Torture (Form I-589), Application to Register Permanent Resident Status or Adjust Status (Form I-485), and review of USCIS denials. I have filed successful Motions to Reopen (in absentia orders, exceptional circumstances, changed circumstances, and sua sponte) and Motions to Terminate Removal Proceedings.
- Immigration Law
- Immigrant Visas
- Nonimmigrant Visas
- Visa Waiver Issues
- State Bar of California
- New York
- New York State Office of Court Administration
- 2nd Circuit
- 3rd Circuit
- 4th Circuit
- 5th Circuit
- 9th Circuit
- 11th Circuit
- Supreme Court, State of California
- Supreme Court, State of New York
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Fong & Aquino
- - Current
- Attorney and Counselor at Law
- Law Office of Romben Aquino
- John Perry & Associates, P.C.
- Ferro & Cuccia Attorney
- NYC Department of Consumer Affairs
- Staff Attorney
- NYC Commission on Human Rights
- Public Service Law Network
- Northeastern University School of Law
- University of California - Los Angeles
- B.A. | Political Science
- The State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Pilipino American Bar Association
- New York State Bar # 4034757
- - Current
- Inadmissibility and Removal Proceedings, Immigration Law Fundamentals
- Asylum, Witholding, and the Convention Against Torture, Immigration Law Fundamentals
- Removal Proceedings, Immigration Law Training Course
- Romben Aquino's Website Profile
- Fong & Aquino Website
- Immigration Visa Attorney Blog
- Now we can watch a sitcom about immigrants!
6 October 2019
- Congress says “No TPS for Venezuela” at this time.
31 July 2019
- It’s a boy! Master Archie Mountbatten-WIndsor is a US citizen, too!
8 May 2019
- The dangers of puff, puff, give . . .
20 December 2018
- Adios, Senor Sessions!
16 November 2018
- What can I do if USCIS is taking too long to make a decision in my case?
13 September 2017
- How Long Must We Wait?
30 August 2017
- Am I going to be deported because my green card has expired?
11 August 2017
- Missed connections at the Immigration CLE class
20 July 2017