Richard J. Symmes, Esq. is a Seattle native and the managing attorney at Symmes Law Group, PLLC. Mr. Symmes currently focuses his practice on bankruptcy and debt settlement matters and is an experienced bankruptcy advocate, having filed and prepared hundreds of bankruptcy petitions prior to starting his own firm. Mr. Symmes is also well versed in business, trademark, and sports and entertainment matters. Prior to forming Symmes Law Group, PLLC Mr. Symmes was an associate attorney at two respected law firms in Denver, Colorado where his practice primarily involved bankruptcy, business and insurance defense. While in law school Mr. Symmes clerked at All Pro Sports and Entertainment in Denver, Colorado, where he participated in the representation of marquee NFL and PGA athletes in player grievances, endorsement contracts, standard player contracts, business incorporations and trademark disputes. In addition to his work at All Pro, Mr. Symmes clerked and interned for several law firms throughout Colorado in the areas of employment, family, gambling, and trusts and estates law.
Mr. Symmes is a graduate of the University of Denver Sturm College of Law where he was the Vice President and Community Director of the Sports and Entertainment Law Society as well as a Staff Editor for the University of Denver Sports and Entertainment Law Journal. Mr. Symmes earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Washington in Seattle where he double majored in economics and communications.
- Business Law
- Entertainment & Sports Law
- Intellectual Property
- Foreclosure Defense
- Free Consultation
- Credit Cards Accepted
- English: Spoken, Written
- Symmes Law Group, PLLC
- Foster Law Group, PC
- Associate Attorney
- Balaban & Levinson, P.C.
- Diligently represented real estate brokers in errors and omissions insurance claims. Drafted discovery, motions, pleadings and ATLP reports on behalf of clients and major insurance carriers while engaging in all aspects of litigation. Assisted in conducting depositions and mediations and drafted initial client letters.
- Law Clerk
- All Pro Sports & Entertainment
- Conducted legal research and writing for a top flight sports agency in conjunction with the representation of marquee NFL, NBA, and PGA athletes. Participated in the arbitration hearing In Re the Matter of Al Wilson v. Denver Broncos, and drafted post hearing brief. The case concerned medical malpractice and required familiarity with the current NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement. Researched the validity of drug testing in the PGA in regards to PGA athletes. Drafted pleadings in family law matters concerning allocation of child support. Drafted demand letters to insurance companies regarding the payment and settlement of insurance claims stemming from a serious car accident.
- University of Washington School of Law
- B.A. | Economics & Communications
- The University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- Top Bankruptcy Lawyer
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- - Current
- King County Bar Association
- - Current
- The Evolution of Sports Law
- NW Lawyer
- Seattle Trademark Lawyer Blog
- The Evolution Of Sports Law
13 October 2015
- What do I need to know about Trademarks?
12 June 2015
- What Should I do If I Get A Copyright Infringement Demand Letter?
6 March 2013
- Litigation related to Copyright Infirngement Cases Involving Feature Films on the Rise
1 March 2013
- Trademark licensees in Bankruptcy
20 October 2012
- ESPN Documentary “Broke” Should be Must See TV For All Future Professional Athletes
2 October 2012
- Even Sports Agents File for Bankruptcy
5 February 2012
- Should My Entertainment Contracts Be In Writing?
18 January 2012
- Why You Should Always Do a Simple Google Search Before Choosing a Band Name
5 November 2011
- Seattle Bankruptcy Lawyer blog
- What is Financial Self Defense?
31 July 2019
- 10 Things that Prevent Consumers from Getting Out of Debt
11 July 2019
- 10 Things Young Families Should Think About When Drafting a Will and Estate Plan
28 April 2019
- How Can Bankruptcy Benefit Real Estate Investors and Consumers?
19 April 2019
- How Do I Rebuild My Credit After Filing Bankruptcy?
31 March 2019
- What are Possible Remedies for An Unlawful Foreclosure?
2 March 2019
- Can I Qualify for a Home Loan with a Low Credit Score?
3 February 2019
- How Do I Transfer Real Estate in a Probate?
29 January 2019
- How Long After Bankruptcy Can I Buy A House?
14 November 2018