Free Consultation: (602) 256-7575Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Peter W Davis

R.J. Peters & Associates
  • Family Law
  • Arizona
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AResponsive Law

Peter Davis was born and raised in Kansas City. He is a graduate of the University of Kansas and a proud Jayhawk. He moved to Arizona in 2006 to be closer to his wife’s family. In 2008 he again moved his family, this time to Houston to attend law school at the University of Houston

Upon Graduation from law school in 2011 Peter immediately moved back to Arizona and began working for a prominent law firm representing clients obtain Social Security Disability. In 2016 and 2017 he was Rated 10 Best in Arizona for exceptional and outstanding client service in the Social Security Section by the American Institute of Legal Counsel.

After almost 7 years successfully representing clients in disability cases, Peter became an Assistant Attorney General and represented the State of Arizona in IV-D Child Support cases. During that time he appeared in hundreds of evidentiary hearings on behalf of the State.

While Peter learned much from his time as an Assistant Attorney General, he missed advocating for an individual and moved back in to private practice at R.J. Peters and Associates taking what he had previously learned and applying it to the family law practice.

Peter is a father of four children and spends his off time with his wife and children doing outdoor activities, sports and board games.

Practice Area
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Arizona
ID Number: 029271
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
R.J. Peters & Associates
- Current
Assistant Attorney General
Arizona Attorney General
Phillips Disability, P.L.L.C.
University of Houston Law Center
J.D. (2011) | Law
University of Houston Law Center Logo
University of Kansas
B.A. (2001) | Geology
University of Kansas Logo
10 Best for Client Satisfaction in Social Security & Disability Law Section
American Institute of Legal Counsel
10 Best for Client Satisfaction in Social Security & Disability Law Section
American Institute of Legal Counsel
Professional Associations
State Bar of Arizona
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
12 Questions Answered

Q. Is it possible for a judge to grant visitations unsupervised to a child that has not had a relationship with her father?
A: The short answer is yes, it is possible. However, just like any other case it is detail and case specific. The judge will make a best interest finding in determining what the best interest of the child is, and most of the time in this sort of situation that would be a stepped plan to introduce Dad into the child's life. It would usually start with supervised visitation and gradually work up to un supervised visits. If there are concerns with Father's involvement in the child's life, I encourage you to speak to an attorney. There are many pitfalls that in custody battles where a seasoned attorney could help you navigate. Most attorneys I know offer a free 30 minute consultation.
Q. My friend got put in jail for not paying child support. She hasn't gone to court yet for sentencing and the jail won't
A: the jail is giving you bad information. when someone is arrested for child support there is no bail to be paid, but a purge amount associated with the warrant. The purge amount gets paid and the individual will be let out with a hearing date set. If the purge cannot be met, she will stay in jail until the hearing where a judge may lower her purge amount, or vacate it all together if she doesn't have the means to pay. There is no sentencing. She stays in jail until she pays the purge amount or the court determines she doesn't have the ability to pay. You generally will not be able to obtain money from a bail bondsman, as this is not bail, but a purge. The amount paid goes to the child support debt and will not be refunded upon release. You can generally pay it at the jail through a kiosk, though several counties may not have this set up. if that is the case you can pay this purge amount at the County Clerk's office generally (though not in Pinal County as they refuse to accept payments last I was there). Once the purge payment is made, she will be released. The amount can vary greatly, I have seen purges for as little as $100 and as much as $40,000.00. it depends upon her situation and what the judge ordered on the warrant.
Q. How do i put in a request to modify arrears payment and request forgiveness on the interest.
A: I am assuming you are asking this in regards to child support arrears. Modifying an arrears payment requires a motion to modify through the Court. Forgiving the interest is a trickier question and may depend on whether your case is classified IV-D or not. The interest on arrears generally belongs to the other party in the case, and they are the only person who can voluntarily waive any portion of the arrears (whether that be principle or interest). However, if there was state benefits such as cash assistance paid to the other party at some point, they may have assigned a portion or all of the arrears on their case to the State of Arizona. If that is the case, then the State of Arizona would also need to agree on any waiver as to the portion assigned to them. They do waive this amount if you can prove hardship (such as disability). These are both issues that may require the assistance of counsel. Most attorneys provide a free 30 minute consultation where you can get some more information on this issue.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.
1422 N 2nd Street Ste 100
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Telephone: (602) 256-7575
Monday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 3 PM (Today)
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed