Paula J. Mcgill

Paula J. Mcgill

The McGill Law Firm, LLC
  • Landlord Tenant, Divorce, Family Law...
  • District of Columbia, Georgia, Maryland, New York
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Attorney Paula J. McGill provides personal service to a variety of clients. She is comfortable representing individuals and small to medium sized businesses. Moreover, Attorney McGill is not afraid to go after large corporations to force them to take personal responsibility for damages they cause. Her confidence in pursuing these companies comes from her 20+ years of experience. Furthermore, she is skilled in efficiently and effectively representing clients of most budgets. Many clients return for additional services or recommend her to family and friends.

Her experience spans small claims matters, contract disputes, consumer matters, federal employment matters, civil rights cases, and wrongful death cases. Attorney McGill is comfortable in front of judges in bench trials or juries. Extensive trial experience benefits clients because opposing attorneys know she is not afraid to take cases to trial, if needed.

She also has the theory that rushing the case through often doesn't benefit clients. 9 times out of 10, slow and steady wins the race.

The McGill Law Firm is based in Georgia and has numerous convenient locations to meet busy client.

Starting in May 2019, Ms. McGill will once again be accepting cases in Maryland and Washington, DC. She will also accept family law cases and hourly rate matters in New York if the client lives in Georgia.

For more information about the practice or about your particular legal issue, please use the contact information form provided on this website or contact Attorney McGill at You can also read more about the attorney and legal issues on her legal blog to obtain more information at

Practice Areas
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Collections
  • Employment Law
  • Business Law
  • Consumer Law
  • Probate
Additional Practice Area
  • Small Claims
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept credit cards for initial consultations, dispossessory cases, and invoiced items for completed work. Credit cards are not accepted for retainers for new clients. Certified checks, money orders, cash apps and wires are accepted for retainers for new clients.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    After the 5 minute screening consultation, the potential client can schedule a paid office or phone consultation. Firm rates are discussed in my blog, Price sheets are also available by email to allow people to make informed decisions.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Managing Member
The McGill Law Firm, LLC
- Current
Lord Bissell & Brook (Now Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell)
Wallace King Marraro & Branson
Piper & Marbury (Now DLA Piper)
University of Pennsylvania
J.D. | Law
University of Pennsylvania Logo
Kennesaw State University
MBA | Finance
Placeholder image for education.
Emory University
B.B.A. | Finance
Emory University Logo
Legal Answers
346 Questions Answered

Q. Can my parents sue a landlord for renting them a home without legally owning it. And is going into foreclosure
A: In short, maybe. More facts have to be disclosed. Renters who have property that are foreclosed have certain protections. However, the landlord can still be sued for any additional damages that may occur as a result of the foreclosure and premature termination of the lease.
Q. I want to give a 60 day notice to a long term tenant. I know he can’t afford to pay for current market rents.
A: Month to month tenants are subject to 60 day lease terminations. You don't have to give a reason.
Q. How long does a landlord have to supply a list of all move out charges?
A: You can file a lawsuit to get your sec. dep back if the withholding was unjustified. You may be able to collect treble damages plus attorney's fees in many instances.
Q. what should I do if a former tenant returns a partial security deposit refund and demands it all back or be sued?
A: Unfortunately, I doubt returning their deposit will end it unless there is a settlement agreement signed by all parties. If they are not willing to enter into a settlement agreement, get the police reports to determine what the police wrote in the reports. If the report is neutral or favorable to you, and you have witnesses and other evidence, you MAY want to think about fighting the allegations.
Q. If I've signed the papers but I'm not sure if they have filed I signed them two days ago can I change who I want to it b
A: What papers? Is a settlement agreement, a petition, a motion, or an answer/response? What do you want to change on that document?
Q. My grandfather inherited a house and piece of land from my great grandmother after she passed.
A: Your grandfather should have consulted an attorney before she put her on the deed. If he did, he should go back to the attorney to consult with him or her. Once you put a person's name on a deed, you can just simply remove it even if it was inherited. It was nonmarital property until he made the fatal decision to put her name on the deed. Therefore, the best attorney to consult would be a divorce attorney. That attorney can advise him on her rights to the property and the likely equitable share she would be entitled to, if any in a divorce.
Q. Can apartment management charge me a pet fee (no damage done) at move-out that was never mentioned in the lease?
A: If it not in the lease, ask management in writing what legal authority do they have to charge you after the fact. If they fail to provide you with the required information, demand that any deduction from your security deposit be returned to you.
Q. I had a boarder renting A room and moved some of her stuff out. She is refusing to come get the rest.
A: Since the person was a renter, to be on the safe side, file a dispossessory action that includes her room, the portion of the attic, and the portion of the garage. Warn her that she must take her stuff out or you will file a dispossessory. You file it in the county where the rental property is located.
Q. I am renting a room on a month to to month lease, my landlord said she needs me to move out because she needs to repair
A: The lease may tell you how much time she has to give you. If the lease is silent, it's 60 days.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
1050 Crown Pointe Pkwy.
Suite 500
Atlanta, GA 30338
Cell: (770) 367-1234
5425 Peachtree Parkway
Peachtree Corners, GA 30092
Cell: (770) 367-1234
2265 Roswell Rd.
Suite 100
Marietta, GA 30062
Cell: (770) 367-1234
Midtown Office
1100 Peachtree Street, NE
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Cell: (770) 367-1234