Free Consultation: (615) 490-6020Tap to Call This Lawyer
Paul E. Tennison

Paul E. Tennison

Cole Law Group, PC
  • Military Law, Family Law, Divorce...
  • Tennessee
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&AGoldSocial MediaResponsive Law

Paul E. Tennison has significant experience in the U.S. Army and international experience. Paul's legal background affords him unique inside into many issues confronting his clients. Paul represents clients in a broad range of complex legal matters. Paul has experience working in cases involving military law, defamation, intellectual property, family law,contested divorces, business disputes, wills, trusts, and probate.

Paul's extensive military experience includes four years at West Point, five years on Active Duty in Korea and Germany and four years as an officer in the Tennessee Army National Guard including a deployment to Poland. Paul honed his attention to detail and leadership skills during exercises overseas in highly stressful training environments as a Field Artillery officer. Providing accurate lethal fires on the battlefield is a difficult mission. Paul brings these same attention to detail and problem-solving skills he honed in the U.S. Army to his work with clients. Paul is currently in command of a Field Artillery Battery in Sparta, Tennessee.

Paul takes great pride in acheiving every challenging goal he sets for himself as evident by his successful completion of West Point, distinguished service in the US Army, success at Vanderbilt Law School, and continued drive to learn more about the world and how to serve his client’s. Paul enjoys challenging physical activity. Paul was a three sport athlete in high school and has continued to enjoy sports and fitness. Recently, Paul has completed a 100KM bike ride, Olympic distance triathlon, marathon, and is currently a bodybuilder and member of the 1,000 lb club. Paul brings the same tenacity to the court room in pursuit of vigorous representation of each of his clients.

Paul is an accredited attorney for the preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims for veterans' benefits before the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Practice Areas
  • Military Law
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Estate Planning
  • Intellectual Property
  • Health Care Law
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Probate
  • Employment Law
  • Immigration Law
  • Business Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Defamation
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations available on case by case basis.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
Cole Law Group, PC
- Current
Law Clerk 2016-2018
Tennessee Army National Guard
- Current
Commander C BTRY, RFS, 278 2018-Present; TitleProgram Manager (Logistics) 2015-2018
Product Advocate
Bloomberg Law
Program Manager (Fire Direction)
U. S. Army
U.S. Army
Human Resources Manager 2013-2014; Element Executive 2012-2013; Project Manager (Fire Support) 2010-2012
Vanderbilt University Law School
Vanderbilt University Law School Logo
United States Military Academy
United States Military Academy Logo
Professional Associations
Nashville Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Guard Association of Tennessee
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Accredited Attorney for the Preparation, Presentation, and Prosecution of Claims for Veterans' Benefits
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Legal Answers
49 Questions Answered

Q. This is regarding my husband. His divorce was finalized in 2017. Wife has not refinanced the car in her name only.
A: You could consult with an attorney for more specific guidance tailored to your situation. Generally, if a party disobeys a court order, then the aggrieved party can file a petition for contempt. The petition would be served on her and she would have time to respond. Then there would be a hearing for a Judge to determine if contempt occurred. The Judge could then give her a new order with a deadline to take the ordered action or she could be fine, or face jail time depending on the situation. Your husband could also try a more diplomatic approach by writing her a letter giving a deadline for her to put the car in her name or you will take required legal action. Good luck.
Q. I was ticketed for going 94 in a 70. Could I go to jail for this? What I do to make sure going to jail don’t happen?
A: The ticket you were given should contain the information about what is required of you. Most of the time, you simply pay the fine and all that happens is the ticket is also on your driving record. If you have enough traffic incidents, the state where you are licensed could suspend your drivers license. Unless the officer takes you into custody immediately, traffic violations do not usually result in jail time. Read the ticket, pay the fine, be more careful when driving in the future. Good luck.
Q. Does the misdemeanor Possession of sexually explicit digital material disqualifies me from military
A: Speak with a recruiter. They understand what will disqualify you from military service and what will not. These requirements change overtime and sometimes they can secure waivers to allow enlistments that would otherwise not be allowed. Good luck.
Q. What is the law concerning using unmarked police cars on tn highways?
A: I am unaware of any specific TN or Federal law that restricts TN law enforcement from using unmarked police cars.
Q. From an attorney's perspective, how would a company prevent a lawsuit like the one in Pittsley v. Houser from occurring?
A: This is a very specific, fact intensive question. You should discuss with an experienced business attorney. I recommend you schedule a consultation to discuss this in greater detail. Notably, your question seems to be one of how an Idaho case applies in Tennessee. That would be unclear without doing additional research on how Tennessee courts have handled similar cases. Good luck!
Q. Where do I file my LLC if I have a new company never registered with the state, but moved to a new state?
A: If you are providing the services in Tennessee, then you should likely either incorporate in Tennessee or you could file in MS and also file in Tennessee as a foreign LLC transacting business in Tennessee. For a deeper discussion of the pros and cons of each option, I recommend you speak with an experienced business attorney. Good luck!
Q. I signed a year long lease for a townhome but I must break it to move out of state. Landlord is asking for 4 months rent
A: The lease break penalty should be specified in the lease. If it is not specified then default rules of the TN Uniform Landlord Tenant Act should apply. (in counties with over 75,000 residents) See T.C.A. Section 66-28-101. Unfortunately, the default rules state that the tenant is responsible for the payment of rent for the entire duration of the lease agreement. However, there is an exception to this rule that the landlord must attempt to mitigate damages. It seems if you offer the landlord a suitable replacement tenant and the landlord refuses that option then the landlord has unreasonably failed to mitigate damages. 66-28-510. Landlord's remedy after termination states: "If the rental agreement is terminated, the landlord may have a claim for possession and for rent and a separate claim for actual damages for breach of the rental agreement and reasonable attorney's fees." T.C.A. Section 66-28-301: Security deposits states that the security deposit must be returned by the landlord unless there are physical damages to the property which the tenant is responsible for. If you have additional questions, I recommend you consult an attorney that can guide you through your best options. Many offer free or inexpensive consultations. Good luck!
Q. Are there any rules regarding what documents a private employer is required to give a former employee?
A: Yes, in Tennessee, an employer should give an employee a separation notice when the employee no longer works for the employer. Find the TN DOL website and you can read more about those issues. Good luck.
Q. is a new development liable for damage they cause to my property? flooding from raised elevation?
A: Depending on more facts, yes they could be. I recommend you consult with an experienced construction law attorney to determine what your legal options are in this situation. Good luck.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Cole Law Group, PC
750 Old Hickory Blvd
Building Two #202
Brentwood, TN 37027
Telephone: (615) 490-6020
Fax: (615) 942-5914