Free Consultation: (401) 300-4439Tap to Call This Lawyer
Nicholas Arthur Matlach

Nicholas Arthur Matlach

RI, CT, MA: Full-service lawyer for startups & small businesses
  • Business Law, Intellectual Property, Estate Planning ...
  • Connecticut, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Rhode Island
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Nick Matlach believes startups and small businesses deserve the same caliber of legal counsel as major corporations. That's why he founded ioLiberum Law Firm, a boutique practice dedicated to empowering small businesses with the tools and strategies they need to thrive and compete to win. Nick leverages his experience in intellectual property and supply chain management, honed while working with global brands, to deliver client-focused strategies tailored to client's goals. Unlike larger firms with complex billing structures, Nick prioritizes clear communication and upfront pricing, ensuring his clients understand the legal landscape and the costs involved. Ultimately, Nick's dedication to results ensures that businesses receive practical, actionable legal advice that propels them forward.

Practice Areas
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Intellectual Property
Estate Planning
Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Trademark Registration
Communications & Internet Law
Internet Law, Media & Advertising
Construction Law
Construction Contracts
  • Free Consultation
    All discovery calls are free up to 30 minutes.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Credit (Visa, Mastercard, Discovery, American Express), Debit, eCheck (US only), Apple Pay, Google Pay, or set up automated payment plans.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Fixed up front pricing for all transactional services.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State of Connecticut Judicial Branch
ID Number: 444849
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers
ID Number: 712693
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
North Carolina
North Carolina State Bar
ID Number: 41416
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Rhode Island
Rhode Island Bar Association
ID Number: 10663
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
ioLiberum Law Firm, P.C.
- Current
Hasbro, Inc
Supreme Court of the United States
The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law
J.D. (2010)
Honors: Cum Laude
Placeholder image for education.
Flagler College
B.A. (2005) | Political Science
Placeholder image for education.
Pros to Know Overall Winner
Professional Associations
Rhode Island Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Content Delivery and Security Association
Executive Committee Director
- Current
Activities: Presenter at the 2023 and 2024 Content Protection Summit.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Content Protection Summit @ NAB, National Association of Broadcasters, Las Vegas, NV
Content Delivery and Security Association
Providing Hollywood an updated look at AI and how it impacts their business.
Content Protection Summit, Las Angeles, CA
Content Delivery and Security Association
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
11 Questions Answered
Q. Is it legal to track the location of your own car in the state of NC if someone else is operating the vehicle?
A: In North Carolina, it is legal to track the location of your own vehicle even if someone else is operating it. This is explicitly allowed under G.S. 14-196.3(b)(5)(b), which permits the owner or lessee of a vehicle to use an electronic tracking device on that vehicle.

However, whether iOS devices with "Find My Device" functionality would be considered tracking devices for legal purposes in this context is less clear. The law defines an electronic tracking device as one that can determine the location of a person or object. While "Find My Device" can locate a device, whether that extends to the vehicle it is in is debatable.

In practice, using "Find My Device" to locate your car would likely be considered acceptable, as the primary intent is to find the vehicle, not the person. However, this has not been explicitly tested in court, so there is no definitive answer.

If you have concerns about the legality of tracking your vehicle in a specific situation, it is advisable to consult with an attorney familiar with North Carolina law.
... Read More
Q. I have a MA C corp, want to reorganize as an LLC (I'm the only stockholder & employee). Can I do this simply/cheaply?
A: While converting your MA C Corp to an LLC is certainly possible, the process might be more involved than you anticipate. Here's why:

Entity Conversion vs. Dissolution and Formation:

- Entity Conversion: While Massachusetts law does allow for entity conversion (as you mentioned), it's typically used for more complex reorganizations involving multiple entities. It might not be the most straightforward or cost-effective option for a single-member corporation. To answer your specific question, you are converting from a Mass Domestic Business Corporation to a Mass Domestic Other Entity.

- Dissolution and Formation: The more common approach for your situation would be to dissolve the existing C Corp and form a new LLC. This involves filing dissolution paperwork with the state, distributing the corporation's assets, and then filing articles of organization to create the LLC.

New EIN:

Yes, you will need to obtain a new EIN (Employer Identification Number) for the LLC. Even though you're the same owner, the LLC is considered a very different legal entity from the C Corp and are treated differently from the IRS's perspective. Additional information here:

Additional Considerations:

Tax Implications: Consult with a tax professional to understand the potential tax consequences of dissolving the C Corp and forming an LLC. There might be tax implications related to the distribution of assets.

Legal and Administrative Costs: There will be filing fees associated with both the dissolution of the C Corp and the formation of the LLC. You might also want to consult with an attorney to ensure you follow all the necessary legal steps and to address any specific concerns you have.


While it's technically possible to convert your C Corp to an LLC through entity conversion, the dissolution and formation approach might be a more practical and cost-effective option in your case. It's strongly recommended that you consult with both a tax professional and an attorney to guide you through the process and ensure compliance with all legal and tax requirements.
... Read More
Q. What are the laws regarding verbal loan agreements in North carolina?
A: It's true that oral loan agreements are harder to enforce than written ones. Here's why:

- Proof of Agreement: The main issue is proving that an agreement actually existed and what terms both parties agreed upon. It often becomes a "he said, she said" situation without written evidence.

- Statute of Frauds: Certain types of contracts, including some loan agreements, are required to be in writing under the law for enforceability. This is known as the Statute of Frauds.

However, oral agreements might still be enforceable under specific circumstances:

- Partial Performance: If the borrower already made some payments, this could demonstrate that a loan agreement was in place.

- Promissory Estoppel: If a lender relied on the borrower's promise to repay and suffered detriment as a result, a court might enforce the agreement under this principle.

- Witnesses: Having witnesses to the verbal agreement can significantly strengthen the lender's case.

- Other Evidence: Any form of communication (texts, emails, etc.) referencing the loan terms can bolster the lender's claim.

You may be able to sue in small claims court or talk with a lawyer if your case doesn't qualify for small claims. Ultimately, it will come down to who is more believable in front of a trier of fact (Judge or jury).
... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
ioLiberum Law Firm P.C.
123 N. Main St
STE 305
Providence, RI 02903
Telephone: (401) 300-4439
Monday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 4 PM (Today)
Friday: 9 AM - 4 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: After hours and weekends available upon request.