Free Consultation: (512) 458-4138Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Nels Hansen

Helping good people get the fresh start they deserve!
  • Bankruptcy, Foreclosure Defense
  • Texas
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

The Law Office of Nels C. Hansen PC, strives to help good people just like you individuals, families, business owners get their finances under control and get their lives back on track. Helping good people work toward a fresh start that is what we do, every day, at the Law Offices of Nels C. Hansen PC. Attorney Nels C. Hansen offers valuable advice and information about consumer and business bankruptcy to help his clients make informed decisions about their future. Attorney Nels C. Hansen's over 20 years of service has taught him debt relief strategies for all sort of situations including consumer and business bankruptcy, medical bankruptcy, credit card debt issues and bankruptcy for senior citizens. Don't wait too long! Clients often tell us they wish they wouldn't have waited so long to discuss their debt issues. Contact the Law Office of Nels C. Hansen PC today to schedule a free in-person consultation.

Practice Areas
  • Bankruptcy
  • Foreclosure Defense
Additional Practice Area
  • Student Loan Relief
  • Free Consultation
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    $250 for a 30 minute Student Loan Analysis
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Oklahoma City University School of Law
Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor (J.D.) | Law
Oklahoma City University School of Law Logo
University of North Texas
B.B.A. (1989) | Real Estate
University of North Texas Logo
Professional Associations
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar or Texas
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
70 Questions Answered

Q. I'm looking to file bankruptcy in Texas , but I own a House in P.R. that I can't , Can include in the bankruptcy in Tx
A: The bankruptcy court that you file your bankruptcy in will be determined by where you have lived for the majority of the 180 days immediately before filing. You are required to list all assets and debts when you file bankruptcy and that would include a house in P.R. You should contact an experienced local bankruptcy attorney and schedule a consultation. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.
Q. Ch 13 discharged 6/17. One of student loans was reopened 10/17. Getting calls from another closed one.Can they open now?
A: Congratulations on completing your chapter 13, very few people accomplish what you have achieved. In order to discharge the student loan, you will have to file an adversary in addition to a bankruptcy and prove the student loan is an undue hardship. This is easier said than done. When you file bankruptcy Federal Student Loans are put into forbearance. Once your bankruptcy is dismissed or discharged they are taken out of forbearance. Student loans also continue to accrue interest while you were in bankruptcy so you could owe more on them now than when you started. If you have Federal student loans and are in default. You can be subject to a wide range of consequences. Including but not limited to administrative wage garnishment, Tax Refund Intercept, Social Security Offset, denial or revocation of security clearance if you are a federal employee, Federal or State licensing can be in jeopardy or a lawsuit. Before you file your tax return because any refund could be intercepted you should do the following. Confirm what kind of student loan you have, go to the National Student Loan Data System. Select Financial aid review and then accept or decline to use the system. Then log in with your username and login. If you do not have one you can establish one. You should see a complete list of all of your federal student loans. Anything with a yellow triangle and red exclamation point is in default. Once you have confirmed the kind of student loan you have and the status of the loan or loans you can take action to stop garnishment, refund intercept or any of the other consequences. There are a number of income-based repayment plans that help you get both delinquent loans and defaulted loans current and with a payment, you can afford. In some situations, your payment could be as low as $0.00. You should contact your bankruptcy attorney and if they do not handle student loans you may speak with a student loan attorney. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.
Q. I was laid off a year ago and entered into a forebearance program with my lender. I went into foreclosure
A: You may have sold your house already. The investor does not want to catch the loan up while you are still in the house because you may then decide not to leave. One of the problems with this type of deal is you will remain responsible for the mortgage until the investor sells the house and pays off the lender or refinances it. If the investor holds the property as an investment you could remain on the mortgage for years. If the loan is paid late it will hit your credit. If the property is foreclosed again you will take another hit. You need to contact a local bankruptcy attorney and schedule a consultation. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.
Q. I'm on ss disability, I took out a signature loan. bankruptcy or singe off?
A: Generally, Social Security benefits are exempt from execution, levy, attachment, garnishment, or another legal process, or from the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law. The exceptions are that benefits are subject: (1) to the authority of the Secretary of the Treasury to make levies for the collection of delinquent Federal taxes and under certain circumstances delinquent child support payments; and (2) to garnishment or similar legal process brought by an individual to enforce a child support or alimony obligation. A third exemption is federal student loans. To be on the safe side direct your Social Security to a single bank account and do not deposit any other money in that account. You want to be able to prove the funds in that account are only Social Security benefits. If you have other debts, you may want to contact a local bankruptcy attorney for a consultation. You may not need to file however it cannot hurt to know your options. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.
Q. I'm a single mother going to school to finish a nursing program. I have 30000+ in studLdebt. Can I prove unude hardship?
A: Incorrect information about your college enrollment status can cost you warns the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. In a Consumer Advisory published February 2017, the CFPB outlined the ways the bad information about enrollment status can wreak havoc for student borrowers. The sale of your loans would not have caused a default. If you are in repayment status and have not made a payment in 270 days is what triggers a default. If you default on a federal student loan, you lose eligibility to receive federal student aid and you may experience serious legal consequences. If you are enrolled in an eligible college or career school at least half-time, in most cases your loan will be placed into a deferment automatically, and your loan servicer will notify you that the deferment has been granted. If you enroll at least half-time but do not automatically receive a deferment, you should contact the school where you are enrolled. Your school will then send information about your enrollment to your loan servicer so that your loan can be placed into deferment. Three Things you can do to catch errors in your information 1. Monitor your enrollment status especially if you recently have left school or returned to school. When leaving school, make sure you know when your first payment is due. Inform your servicer if you are going to leave college early or returning to school. 2. Review your enrollment status. If it doesn’t look right contact the student loan servicer. Their information may be out of date. You may have to submit updated documentation from your school to confirm your status. Verify your enrollment with your student loan servicer. Check up on your enrollment status with your school. If you recently transferred or returned to school you can also update your information on the Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System student website. 3. If you cannot get accurate or prompt information regarding your enrollment status from your student loan servicer, you can file a complaint online with the CFPB or call the CFPB at (855) 411-2372. There are a number of ways to get out of default. Check for your options. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.
Q. For a discharged Chap 7. Do you need court approval for a mortgage loan modification?
A: Usually, you do not. In chapter 13, you would file a motion to approve mortgage modification. In chapter 7 you do not need court permission to incur new debt. Contact your bankruptcy attorney and inquire why your case remains open. If you do not have an attorney, now is the time to hire one. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.
Q. My husband is being sued for a debt owed to Conn's. We have no money as he is the only one currently working.
A: Conns has a lien on any of the items you purchased in their store if you financed them with the instore credit. This means they can ask for the washer and dryer or the TV back. You should file an answer to the lawsuit. If you do not file an answer Conns could get a default judgment against your husband. If this is your only debt, you should file an answer and then contact the attorney for Conns and see if you can come to an agreement. If you have other debts, you should contact a local bankruptcy attorney and schedule a consultation. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.
Q. how much credit card debt can you have before you can apply for bankruptcy.
A: You do not need any. You might have medical debt or a number of other types of debt as a result of broken leases, repossessed cars or signature loans. The question is when does filing bankruptcy make sense. Are you judgment proof? Can you protect everything you want to protect? If you cannot pay the debt it does not matter if it $5000 or $50,000. However, some people want to file bankruptcy over an $800 cable bill which does not make any sense when you consider the cost of the bankruptcy and the hit your credit will take. Contact a local bankruptcy attorney and schedule a consultation. Then you can decide on bankruptcy is the right choice for your situation. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.
Q. IF you are say 100,00 dollars in debt and you are on chapter 13 would they take most of your check and leave you $ 200.
A: Your question cannot be answered with the information provided. Your sister needs to contact her bankruptcy attorney. If she filed without the benefit an attorney she needs to hire one. Over 90% of chapter 13 cases filed by debtors without an attorney end up being dismissed. You can search for an attorney using the Justia "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Nels C. Hansen PC
1000 Heritage Center Cir #102
Round Rock, TX 78664
Telephone: (512) 458-4138
Fax: (512) 458-4213